OEM Exhaust sound?

Bike
2000 ST1100 43K
This 2000 Bike came with 2-Brothers aluminum slip ons.
I was wondering how good or bad (I know it's subjective) the oem pipes might sound
and possibly if anyone had some they wanted to let go?

Unfortunately, I haven't discovered anyone in the Pittsburgh area here that has a
ST1100... so I could actually here the exhaust on a stock Bike. Anybody out there Pittsburgh?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have a 2001 ST11 with Two Brothers slip ons as well. I think they're too loud but I've dealt with them for over a year. My brother has a '91 ST11 with stock exhaust. It's quiet and has that sweet V4 "sewing machine" sound, at least that's how many describe it. I prefer and would like to switch back to the stock exhaust at some point, maybe this spring. If anyone has a stock set in good condition, please PM me.

You can probably hear the stock sound on YouTube... lot's of ST11 stuff on there.

OP
OP
Enroute
Bike
2000 ST1100 43K
Thanks, Haven't had any luck finding stock sound on youtube yet.... Thanks for the feed back!

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
See (hear) these below. The engines aren't running on some till about 1/2 way through the video. You need to hear it in person to get the real sound though. The last video at the end when he revs it is pretty close.

I see you're pretty new here, welcome to the site. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here. Keep an eye out on the Events section for something in your area. Or, show up at any event in the country and you'll be welcomed, I certainly have. Great guys (and a few gals) here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jZXjcmHwcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK7WLSXOc3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIpyx0twoU

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Doesn't sound too bad at all.
No, absolutely not... :wink:
I personally prefer that silent, understatement tune, and wouldn't bear any loud pipes on long hauls anyway...
The occasional "The Wraith!" moment when pulling into some RTE parking places, just gives me a silent, yet slightly proud smile... :8):
That unique "I just escaped out an SF-movie" chant is what makes an ST1100 and ID's it as gentlemen express...

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
No, absolutely not... :wink:
I personally prefer that silent, understatement tune, and wouldn't bear any loud pipes on long hauls anyway...
The occasional "The Wraith!" moment when pulling into some RTE parking places, just gives me a silent, yet slightly proud smile... :8):
That unique "I just escaped out an SF-movie" chant is what makes an ST1100 and ID's it as gentlemen express...
I too prefer the quieter sound of the stockers but unfortunately I don't have that yet!

Bike
Vstrom 650
I fitted a full delkevic system but I still have the old end cans and they are in perfect condition,I have considered refitting the oem cans because I think the extra noise takes away from the ST1100's character a bit,
the only plus I see is people hear the bike coming better and are less likely to wander across a street as I'm approaching,maybe someone pulling out of a blind junction can also hear the bike coming at times also,
apart from that I'd prefer her with the oem cans,also easier to remove the wheel with the recess in the oem can that allows for a socket extension.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Did you order that specific eBay item? I just asked the seller about the condition. He said they were good.

OP
OP
Enroute
Bike
2000 ST1100 43K
Already ordered theses. Just waiting for confirmation. Says up to 48 hours.
Even though I haven't heard stock pipes in person, I am pretty sure they will be what I am looking for.
VERY DISAPPOINTING!
I made this guy an offer on those pipes and he countered me and said "go to the listing and bid it and he would send them out."
So I did, and I see today he sold them to someone else. (Not Cool)
Was pretty excited about getting those stock cans. Oh well...

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Enroute, it was me who bought that ST11 exhaust set. I asked you if that was the one you ordered but didn't get a response so I waited a day and they were still there so I bought them this morning with Buy it Now. You said you ordered a set so since these were still available the next day (today), I assumed you must have ordered a different set. Sorry for the mix up but if you still want them, I'll sell them to you for the $51 I paid, which includes shipping. I paid $35 plus $16 shipping.

Again, sorry I bought them out from under you, it was not intentional.

Regards,
Paul

preparing to mount up in the covered patio of motel after paying $ for use of room for "shelter from major storm" that past through the area night before..."Two maids-a-smoking"('tis the season for jolly-type humour) while they were sitting in the patio chairs close to my ST1100 (a tail bag strapped to pillion seat) & the motel entrance door...me in "full-gear"...one maid said to other:"Better Cover our ears...this is going to get NOISY"...I then pressed the starter switch...and, the ST11's characteristic "Whirrrrr, Phtttttt, bbbbbbr" confirmed that "we have contact!"...and as I clicked into 1st....and nodded g'day & bye-bye to the two cig-dragging maid ladies with their hands coming off their ears & one said to the other: "what kind of bike is that that is so quiet"???...to which the other maid replied: "that's one of those FANCY EUROPEAN machines"!...& with that I smiled as I rode out of sight...a true story!...:):03biker::biker:

OP
OP
Enroute
Bike
2000 ST1100 43K
Enroute, it was me who bought that ST11 exhaust set. I asked you if that was the one you ordered but didn't get a response so I waited a day and they were still there so I bought them this morning with Buy it Now. You said you ordered a set so since these were still available the next day (today), I assumed you must have ordered a different set. Sorry for the mix up but if you still want them, I'll sell them to you for the $51 I paid, which includes shipping. I paid $35 plus $16 shipping.

Again, sorry I bought them out from under you, it was not intentional.

Regards,
Paul
Well sure not your fault. And I would sure appreciate that!
If you are sure you are ok with this I really appreciate it.
It's really too bad this guy pulled this for an additional 5 bucks!
I am thinking that the seller most likely has not sent them out yet so if
you contacted and had him ship directly to me I would just pay pal or send you the money.
( I'll email you my address/ contact info) Thanks!!

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
you contacted and had him ship directly to me I would just pay pal or send you the money.
I can do that. PM me your shipping address asap so I can contact the seller.

Bike
ST1100
So... how did everything works, keep out? Did you like the sound?

Top Bottom