Honda Protection Plan

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Just wondering if anyone bought it...

I bought my 2010 ST1300 as a new bike in 2012. I never got any warranty information or even a "welcome to the club" letter. No big deal. I didn't really expect it. I was surprised that Honda has (apparently) discontinued the ST1300 and that bothers me just a little to feel orphaned. I have no plans to buy another bike for a while so it really doesn't matter, but if something should happen to force a new purchase, it won't be a Honda.

So now they invite me to buy a protection plan that costs nearly $700/year and they don't even include details as to what's covered and what's not.

I pay less for full coverage insurance (Rider Insurance) and they offer free towing to anywhere I choose. I don't think I'll be taking them up on their offer.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
You'd be hard pressed to have anything close to $700 in actual repairs over the next decade, let alone $700/year.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I bought my 2010 ST1300 as a new bike in 2012. I never got any warranty information...
That is surprising. Normally, a printed copy of the distributor's warranty (the warranty provided by Honda in your country) is enclosed in the package with the owner manual. If you don't have a copy, I imagine you could get one by either visiting a local Honda dealer or by contacting American Honda Motor Company, the US distributor.

Here is a link to contact information for the US head office: Honda Powersports contact details.

The warranty booklet that came with my 2012 ST 1300 appears to be generic to all Honda motorcycles, in the sense that it describes warranty coverage on tourers (3 years), sport bikes (1 year), and dirt bikes (somewhat limited). Hence I don't think you need a "ST specific" warranty booklet.

I bought my ST 1300 used, the previous owner had purchased a 3 year extension to the warranty in the form of the Honda Protection Plan that you described. I called Honda's head office in Canada, and they posted me a copy of the contract that explained what was covered. At the same time, they transferred the extended warranty coverage to my name. To be honest, it doesn't appear to me that the Honda Protection Plan is worth what it costs. It appears to be basically a warranty extension with roadside assistance rolled in. The ST 1300 is a sufficiently mature product that we now know what breaks and what doesn't, especially during years 3 to 8, which would be the years covered by the Protection Plan. I don't think $700 a year (or whatever it costs) is a sensible premium to pay for protection against cooling system hoses leaking... :)

Here's a link to a web page that describes the Honda Protection Plan in more detail: 3 year HPP. Here's a link to a FAQ about the HPP: HPP FAQ. Finally, here's a link to a FAQ about the basic warranty that everyone gets with the motorcycle (USA terms): USA Basic Warranty FAQ.

Forum members who live outside the USA need to be aware that because the basic warranty is underwritten by the various national importers (not by Honda in Japan), warranty coverage, length, and terms will vary from country to country.

Michael

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Extended warranties on anything you buy are a waste of money, but BIG money makers for the sellers. Read Consumer Reports on the subject.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Take another look at the price they quoted for the plan. According to their website, it's $690 for 3 years coverage, and $800 for 4 years additional coverage. My '06 ST1300 came with a year and a half left on extended warranty, which I didn't have to use. My '08 Wing, bought from an individual, came with 2 years left on extended warranty, which is one main reason that I bought the Wing with 150,000 miles already on it. I figured, that with those miles, I would need the warranty. Sure enough, starter got replaced not long after I got the bike, with no questions asked, at ZERO cost to me. That repair alone would have been worth the $800 plan. The previous owner of my Wing had fork seals replaced, twice, at no cost. The last set was around 130,000 miles. He said the dealer whined a little about the mileage, until he reminded them about the unlimited mileage part of the plan.

So, it depends a lot on how long you plan to keep the bike and how many miles you plan to ride. Just one major repair at a dealer, such as starter, water pump, or even fuel pump, would get your investment back.

Also you may want to check prices for the plan. I've heard that some dealers will discount the price of the plan, so it might be worth some time to research prices. It's also cheaper without the towing. I use AMA for that.

Here's the web site explaining the plan. http://powersports.honda.com/protectionplan/motorcycle-threeyear.aspx

Ride safe,
John and Janis

Last edited:
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
It appears as though the prices of a Honda extended warranty have gone up quite a bit since I bought my bike back in 07. I bought a left over 06 that came with the standard 3 year warranty and in addition they gave me a 4 year extended warranty, which they valued at $500. I had a 7 year warranty with unlimited mileage, all for $10.5 K! the thermostat was replaced under warranty at 16K miles, the SMC was replaced at 45+Kmiles in 2010, and then this year a month before the warranty was to expire Honda replaced the rear shock @ 72K. All for no cost to me! My experience with the extended warranty has been positive to say the least.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
In 2011, it was about $650-$700 for a 3Yr. Honda Warranty Xtension from dealer -- Not bad, considering the cost of alota Electronic Parts on that bike. Haven't used it yet, but, some time left on coverage - Never know.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
DD, that's way too much--it must be a local dealer's concoction of service + Ma Honda's warranty?

Here's an official Honda 4 year warranty extension for $480 (sold by DirectLineParts.com): http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2442&str=10

Edit: when I bought my ST in 2004, DirectLineParts sold that Honda Extended Protection Plan for $400 ... I used it at my local dealer to show them what I can get it for and asked them to match it. The local dealer quickly matched it because they still made money.

Jack B

Let's Ride
Bike
2013 F6B
You can buy the Protection Plan from your Honda Dealer. Offer him $400 and they make some easy money. This summer I brought a F6B that came with 4 years of warranty. And I brought another 3 years for $400. I usually don't buy warranty but after the bike is 4 years old I'm only paying $133 a year if it breaks. I though that was good deal.

Bike
'09 ST1300
When I bought my used '06 in '08, it had 1 year left on original warranty. I decided to get extended 4 years for $430. Unlimited milage, fix it anywhere or anything, great piece of mind. I travel quite a bit and believe me, when something breaks 500 miles from home and needs to be fixed, it's not gone be cheap. I got a printout from Directlineparts and showed to my Honda dealer and they matched it. That said, my bike with 70k miles, besides thermostat, had nothing go wrong with it. I maintain bike myself, bulletproof as they are, there is always a chance (starter, water pump to name a few). I would hate to see what Honda would charge for the replacement of either one when you're on a trip far from home.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I double-checked the price. It's $670.89 for 12 months.
Did you check the prices on the links that I posted? Those prices are for 4 years, not annual prices. You don't have to buy the plan from the dealer where you bought the bike.

John

Bike
ST1300A '10
if you need it to rain, just wash your car. If you want to be sure your bike never breaks down, buy an extended warranty. Me, since this thing is used for long distance travel, it was worth the piece of mind. 'Going back a few thousand miles to get the trailer really can slow down a trip.....

Top Bottom