Honda G4 10W-30 Oil

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I'm sticking with Honda oil for the NC.
I commented on the oil thread, 'Rotella T-6....." and the DCT should be very compatible, getting the same oil for its operation.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I noticed with my new bike the OM and SM both state not to use any oil labeled as Resource or Energy Conserving. The info I found on this is that Resource or Energy Conserving oils have additives to enhance slipperyness, and these additives make it very bad on wet clutch transmissions. I don't know if the DCT in the NC700 or other new bikes have a wet clutch. I do know they do have a clutch (2 actually, as in Dual Clutch). Rotella T/6 used to be not labeled that way but I noticed recent stock at my usual Walmart location that it now is. Honda GN4 (I presume you meant GN4)is not labeled that way so it's good to use on any bike with wet clutch. I find it much easier to just pick up some Chevron Havoline 10w-30 oil (red bottle) that is also not Resource or Energy Conserving. Works well so far.

OP
OP
ST13Fred

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
Correct, GN4.

Besides the possible slipperiness of Energy Conserving oil on wet clutches, auto engine oils are not formulated to deal w/transmission gear shear loads on the same oil that lubes the engine (of a motorcycle).

The NC DCT has its own oil filter (besides the engine) and considered wet. Even Ducati, known for their noisy dry clutches have gone wet, for the most part.
The $1 or 2 more for GN4 oil per qt, is no big deal when one considers how important oil is to a motorcycle engine, performing double duty lubing both engine/transmission.
The DCT retails for $2000 more that the standard. Piece of mind is worth it, considering the $ complexity of this system. As I stated on the oil thread, I'm not going to 2nd guess Mother Honda regarding cycle oils.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I use Mobile 1 in the wing and have never had a problem. It's an automotive oil, not specifically for a motorcycle, but its listed in the manual for use.

OP
OP
ST13Fred

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
My US jug is 5 quart, 3.78 liters of T6 and nothing on it indicates energy conserving.

The energy conserving label put on some oils (and perhaps some oils not so labeled) can (and probably do) cause clutch slippage in motorcycles.
Oils are all exactly alike except for that final fraction of a percentage additive package that changes everything. GN4 ends all the confusion and doubt.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Many years ago Consumer Reports did a study of automotive oils in New York taxi's for the better part of a year and some millions of miles. After the test they did teardowns and measured parts as well as, I think, regular sampling and analysis of the engine oil. Their conclusions were that one could use any oil out there with confidence as long as it met the automaker's minimum standards. They also noted that their test was pretty much valid only for cars operated like NYC taxis - run for 12 hours at a crack and that they were extrapolating for normal people's driving habits. Fleet engines get up to operating temp and stay there all day, boiling off condensation that tends to eat up the additives in stop and go short trip driving. Absent a similar test for motorcycle engines, which are higher performance than most auto engines (putting out more hp per cu inch, cc, or cubic furlong) we have to rely on the manufacturer's recommendations or our best informed guess as to what will work in our bikes.

Since I generally change oil at mfr's recommended intervals (or sooner), and I have read MCN's and the forums here, I think that any of a whole group of oils will be fine in my ST. However, for the very few $$ difference, I lean toward ST13Fred's attitude - the extra few bucks gives me peace of mind. And, should anything ever go wrong, I have the receipts for Honda's oil - not that I think in my wildest dreams that mother Honda will do anything for me at all.

Now oil filters are a different animal, and once I find a source for some of the alternative filters that were cut open and examined I'll probably use them. This year I popped for Honda oil and a Honda oem filter. Last year I did Rotella T6 synthetic. Next year? Who knows.

Top Bottom