ST1100 Timing Belt and Coolant Hose Change

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
That's a loooong way off, Jim. At my age I don't buy green bananas. Remind me about two weeks out. Seems to me the Colona exit takes you a heck of long way from Lake Michigan...(?)

John
via iPhone 4S

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
That's a loooong way off, Jim. At my age I don't buy green bananas. Remind me about two weeks out. Seems to me the Colona exit takes you a heck of long way from Lake Michigan...(?)

John
via iPhone 4S
John:

The shortest route around all the Great Lakes is about 2,450 miles , but since it's a SS3K ride, I had to stretch it out a bit both to the west & east ( going to Scranton, PA too ) , but still will need to circumvent all five Great Lakes.

See you then, if the stars are in alignment and we both are still respirating ( without mechanical help ) ?

I pulled the clutch today as a part of a 93k timing belt/water pump & everything else that happens to get exposed preventative maintenance project on my '98. I can't find a torque spec for the clutch release plate bolts. Does anybody know the spec?

OP
OP
FWTBT
Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
Ahem... still waiting... :)
John
So I finally pulled some plastic off to get to the rad cap today...:eek::...I added about 2 cups of anti-freeze to the rad and topped up the reserve tank. I took the bike out for a run on the highway then some stop and go around town. I also put a new rad cap on. Everything seemed to work fine. The bike didn't heat up and the fan cycled properly. Judging by the amount of coolant I've had to add I,m sure I have a leak somewhere. :confused:

Anyways...thanks to this forum I have found a local STwhisperer :D. I'm off Monday to drop the bike off and have the entire cooling system gone over, new timing belt, valves checked and a bunch of other odds and ends done.

Once again I'd like to thank everybody for the posts, offers to help and the local contacts with other members. I'll post an update after we find out where the leak is.

OP
OP
FWTBT
Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
Does the local ST whisperer you found go by the name of Norm? If so, no worries there. He's the Mike Holmes of motorcycle repair.
That?s Norm and thanks for the suggestion to make contact with him. His knowledge of the ST (not to mention other things) is truly amazing. Thankfully he has agreed to work on my bike. I?ll update the thread once he gets further into the bike.

Top Bottom