DIY Tyre Fitting - PR4 front (video)

Bike
ST1300 '10
STOC #
Hi folks,

I ordered a set of PR4s from www.jakewilson.com some time ago. I finally exhausted my front tyre a few weeks ago (37,425 km - see OzSToc) so time to get it fitted. I had ordered them with the intention of taking the tyre in to a local shop to fit. However, since I had to take the wheel off anyway, I thought I'd have a go at fitting it first. Well, no need for the shop.

This video encompasses the whole procedure from first spanner to test ride. It includes removing the tyre from the rim, fitting the tyre using the zip-tie method, seating the bead, and static balance. It makes use of no special tools, just sockets, compressor, tyre levers - plus garden hose, wood, rubber mallet, 2 garbage bins, ... :D

Cheers, Rob.
[video=youtube;DmhwHqRWe_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmhwHqRWe_M[/video]

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good job Rob, nice video work. I do all my own tire changes with almost the same methods. I hope you wont mind that I add my differences and make comments which you probably already know.

I ride the bike up on two "ramps" which are nothing more than 2X8 lumber lengths laid flat. Watch the gap between floor and side stand if you dismount all alone. I leave another 2X? for the side stand and slide it under before I dismount. I then raise the bike onto the center stand with another 2x8 placed under the center stand. It's a bit hard to do and I usually ask the wife to help steady things. Then I remove the front and rear ramps from under the tires. Now the front fender can be left on the bike. (I do the same ramps for the rear tire)

I break the tire bead almost the same way, I use a long board for a lever but I have a 8" long 2X6 with a 45' angle cut on one end. I place the "point" of the 45' edge on the tire next to the rim where you use the rubber mallet. It works good because it bites inwards and doesn't slip off. I also use my truck hitch.

I don't use the plastic ties when mounting the new tire. I do one bead at a time and use LOTS of lube. I gave up on the hose protectors, always fell off on me. Be careful with those long pry bars, the rims can be bent! If the tire has a printed dot place it at the valve stem.

I always snug up the axle bolt and then "good and snug" the RH (not LH) fork axle clamp bolts. Couple reasons, the axle has that step head on the left, (1) it must be through the LH fork to tighten the axle assembly correctly. (2) The step head of the axle linearly clamps the wheel bearing races, inside wheel spacer, outside spacers and RH fork width to make a solid straight line torqued assembly. The bearings balls essential rotate about that motionless assembly which clamps the inner races securely. We don't want a loose race. I then fully snug (1/4 turn more?) the RH fork clamp bolts and I then gently pry the left fork out just a bit and tighten the LH fork clamp bolts. I wouldn't tighten the left first as the axle step head might not be completely exposed and the right fork clamp being loose and then tightened after axle torquing might strip a clamp thread in the RH fork.

Again great video!! I've only had a tire mounted by a tire place once in the last 300,000 miles. Use that money buying more tires!!

Raymond

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Thanks Rob. It's awhile before my ST needs new tires, but your video has put me over the hump on doing it myself when the time comes. The last set of tires I had mounted on my Shadow by a local shop and they neglected to tighten the axle pinch bolts enough. It really got my attention when I noticed those kinda important bolts backing out. I will feel better doing it myself. Thanks again for the excellent resource.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
This was a well done and informational video. Thank you.
I will also give this a go when I change tires next. I normally remove the tires and take them in anyway so why not give it a go.
Thanks again.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very nice video.

Rear tires are typically more difficult and I don't even like Bridgestone using a no mar. Lots of good tips, I never would take off the left caliper myself as you can work the wheel a little with the fender off. Great vide for those not needing a tire changer.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Great video, very informative. There are two points I would add to what's already been posted:
1) good idea to wear safety glasses to minimize the chance for eye injury, just in case.
2) the calipers should be supported by lengths of wire or cord or other suitable means, not suspended by the brake hoses.

Thanks for the time and effort you put in to provide a great DIY video for us.

Don B.

Top Bottom