St1100 2000, Fork Oil Volume and depth from Honda Manual

Bike
ST1100AY
Hi

I'm still waiting for my manuals to arrive but have a bit of an urgent issue which I would appreciate some assistance with.

My local bike garage replaced the fork seals, the mechanic contacted Honda who told him to refill with 380ml in each fork leg.

After riding it today and feeling that it was more like a pogo stick I reckon something is wrong with the damping and therefore suspect the 380ml.

Did some searching and found various figures from different postings :

Right & Left 62mm

Right fork level 140mm, volume 533ml
Left fork level 136mm, volume 486ml

Right fork: 190 mm / 7.5"
Left fork: 187 mm / 7.4"

I was hoping someone could kindly check the Honda manual for a 2000 ST1100AY with ABS and let me know the correct depth and volume for each leg, also clarify which is Right and Left i.e. from Riders perspective or from front

Many thanks Steve

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #

This is the correct one for LBS/ABS TCS, per the Honda Service Manual that I have.

I wonder what weight oil they used. Honda recommends Pro Honda Suspension Fluid SS-7

The Right and Left are as the rider is sitting in the saddle.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Forget measuring by volume, as you never get all the fluid out unless you totally disassemble the forks. Use a measuring device (thin piece of wood dowel works) and measure the level with spring out and fork fully compressed. The recommendation I got from a suspension shop tech was to use 7W in the left fork and 10-15W in the right, as each fork performs a different function and works better with individual viscosities. Set them both at 5.5 inches from the top of the fork and you won't go wrong.

Any time a right or left side designation is used, you always consider it from sitting on the bike.

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
One additional consideration is whether your forks are OEM or customized. My Race Tech rebuilt ST1100 forks with their Gold Valve and cartridge emulator call for a 130mm space in both forks.

Ray

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sounds like you used a non Honda dealer for this, which is quite alright if you trust the techs wrenching on your machine, but I do hope they bought OEM fork seals for the replacement. Aftermarket seals have a less than stellar record for life/durability.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY

This is the correct one for LBS/ABS TCS, per the Honda Service Manual that I have.

I wonder what weight oil they used. Honda recommends Pro Honda Suspension Fluid SS-7
I will go with these figures, that explains why 380ml isn't producing much damping !

I bought the seals and fork oil from Honda and gave the to the local bike shop, I think it said 7 on the bottle but can't recall

Many thanks

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Sounds like you used a non Honda dealer for this, which is quite alright if you trust the techs wrenching on your machine, but I do hope they bought OEM fork seals for the replacement. Aftermarket seals have a less than stellar record for life/durability.
I bought genuine Honda seals for this bike and gave them to the local shop but was going to order AllBalls aftermarket Fork seals for my other ST1100, I was reading that they have longer life especially in high temperatures. You have me doubting this move now !

Bike
92 ST1100
I bought genuine Honda seals for this bike and gave them to the local shop but was going to order AllBalls aftermarket Fork seals for my other ST1100, I was reading that they have longer life especially in high temperatures. You have me doubting this move now !
Have to agree with Bush on this one...........aftermarket fork seals of SEVERAL makes will give you issues.......not if, just when, and long before their time is due;).

Bike
92 ST1100
My aftermarket seals bought on Ebay have lasted far longer than the expensive OEM seals.
Yeppers.......after posting I remembered you posting commenting about that some time ago. IMO, preperation prior, proper installation(anal particular) CAN make a difference;).

Bike
ST1100 m 1999
When we change fork Oil we use a home made device that measures the air chamber.
Fill up the fork, put in the device which actually is a seringe connected to a tube.
Start sucking out the oil untill it stops taking out the Oil and you have the right amount of CC in the fork.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Sunday Rider; I wonder what weight oil they used. Honda recommends Pro Honda Suspension Fluid SS-7 [/QUOTE said:

This is the fork oil i bought from the Honda dealer, interestingly it says 5W but on back it says it is a direct replacement for SS7M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
That is interesting. I guess once you get the fork oil levels corrected you can then see if this weight oil works well for your riding style and roads surfaces where you are riding. Since you have it in there, you might as well use it and see how it goes. If too soft, you can switch to a heavier oil in one of the forks, that someone suggested in an earlier post, above.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Forget measuring by volume, as you never get all the fluid out unless you totally disassemble the forks. Use a measuring device (thin piece of wood dowel works) and measure the level with spring out and fork fully compressed.
Thank you for this tip, you were right about ignoring volume, I ended up overfilled. Hadn't used a dowel rod before (usually just put a tape measure down) but found an artists paint brush and used the handle which worked like magic

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY

This is an extract from the Parts Fiche for the front forks, can i just confirm from the experts here that the flat washer (11) does actually go below the domed washer (10).

Note (50) is the O Ring for the end cap

The reason i ask is that doing it this way makes it a real pain to screw on the cap although i did get it on

Also does it make any difference which way up the spring goes ie tightly wound part at top or bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
What's missing from your fiche, according to the Honda service manual, is the spacer. The washers go on either side of the spacer. Then the domed spring seat stopper.

Tightly wound side of spring, facing down. Again according to the Honda service manual.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The tightly wound end should be down. If that is the correct fiche for your model. then the flat washer goes as shown. My '96 non ABS has a metal spacer in between there. Looking at the Clymer manual, that appears correct for your later model ABS bike.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I guess once you get the fork oil levels corrected you can then see if this weight oil works well for your riding style and roads surfaces where you are riding. Since you have it in there, you might as well use it and see how it goes.
I'm back on the road now with rebuilt forks and correct fork oil level. Interestingly the Honda Performance Fork Oil 5W feels firm so the note in the label that it replaces SS7M is accurate !

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Excellent! Glad you are back on the road again. Good to know about the new fork oil. I only saw the 5 weight oil at the dealer and he said he was out of the 7 weight. So I used BelRay 10 weight fork oil, which also feels good and firm for me.

Top Bottom