St1100 2000, Fork Oil Volume and depth from Honda Manual

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
JuST a comment about fork suspension fluid volume vs level method -

After you've poured in the quantity of fluid, do this simple test/check: see how much fluid you have to suck out to get the level spec'd in the manual and described in the procedure. The way every shop will do the job - fluid level, not volume.

The quantity mentioned in the manual is to help you know how much fluid to buy before doing the job. Same thing for engine oil, you don't just pour in the figure given and go ride, you check the level. JMHO

BTW, I loan out a kit to do ST1100 forks seals R&Rs.

John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The oil only gets past the seal if you fully extend the fork tube during the pumping process. Just partial travel pumping should clear the air. In other words, don't pull the fork tube up as far as it will go to prevent oil coming past the seal.
I can't recall if I was fully extending it between pumps or not, next time I'll try what you say and see if it helps. And, I only had that problem with the right fork (with the damping rod), the left was OK.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
The recommendation I got from a suspension shop tech was to use 7W in the left fork and 10-15W in the right, as each fork performs a different function and works better with individual viscosities.
Is this for the ABS version ? thx

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
It applies to both versions, except the ABS forks are plumbed opposite to the standard, so the fluids for each are reversed from what I said.
so 10-15W in the left fork and 7W in the right for my ABS , got it thx

Top Bottom