Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I just wanted to share my experience with RMSF (Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever) in case there is someone else who has it, but doesn't have a clue that they are infected. My problems probably started 2 1/2 years ago, during the summer months. As some of you know, we have a few wooded acres in middle TN, and during the warmer months we are always riding the ATV's through the brush and occasionally encounter some ticks. Usually I'll find the ticks when I come inside and undress, but evidently one attached for a couple of hours, which was long enough to transmit the bacteria.

During the Summer of 2012, I went to my doctor several times, complaining of muscle aches and lack of energy. He promptly put me on anti-depressants, along with some cholesterol medication and instructions to lose weight. I had a reaction to the cholesterol medicine and quit taking the anti-depressants because they kept me in a fog, where I didn't feel mentally sharp at times. (No jokes, please) Anyway, the doc and I had a parting of ways, due to his attitude of treating me for unrelated symptoms and not running any tests. His last remark was something about me getting up in age (insert jokes here) and I should expect some occasional aches and pains.

Well, fast forward a couple of years to December 2014. I had some back pain, along with pains running down both legs and went to a different doc. After X-rays, he said that I had an inflamed nerve in my lower back, which went away with a couple of days of rest and extra doses of Naproxen. But during my office visit, we discussed my other aches which moved to different parts of my body, with no relation to any stress or activity on my part. He said that he wanted to run some blood tests and a couple of days later, his nurse called with the results and prescription for antibiotics to cure my case of RMSF! I had no idea that you could have it for years, with no serious symptoms, while it was doing it's damage to the body. Along with the muscle aches, it causes joint damage with arthritic like symptoms, which in my case, I dismissed as getting older. I had retired during this time and wondered why I was still tired and sore all the time, since my activity level was much less.

The good news is that hopefully I am cured and I'm not having as many unexplained pains. The bad news is that it may take years to get over the joint damage. I think that I can deal with the lasting joint pain if I can some of my energy back. I'm looking forward to Spring, and some sunny days of riding. It makes me feel much better to know that there was a reason for the way I felt, instead of aging. Now I think that I can look forward to many more years of riding.

So, my advise is, if camping or hiking or any outdoor activity, be aware of the dangers of ticks and mosquitos. Also, if you have any of the symptoms, it's worth the time to get the blood test for RMSF and Lyme disease, which has a lot of the same symptoms.

John

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
i have a few acres that I work cutting brush and trees to return the property to pasture for our livestock and do find the occasional tick. Thanks for the reminder about these diseases.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
God I hate aches and pains. This getting old crap sucks, but retirement is good.

Nascat you need to get the energy thing squared away quickly. I was fighting the energy thing for about 6 years. Finally I at an annual physical and the doctor and I discussed a lot of stuff, as we should, that is why we are there. Right?

He did a bunch of blood work and sent me for a sleep study. Like anything else maintaining our health as we get older is not really simple. So what was found that was contributing to my energy level. The blood work should high cholesterol and very low testosterone. Those were addressed very quickly with meds and are now in check. But the final thing was I had sever sleep apnea. In fact I have it very very bad. My sleep study showed that I had a 121 events per hour. What does that mean? It means that I stopped breathing 121 per hour while sleeping, never getting in to REM sleep. This is life threatening and needed to be addressed.

So yes now I have a VPAP machine that I use every time I sleep. Whether that is at night or just taking a nap. I travel with it. Yes it is a pain but I can stay awake for more than 10 minutes.

Getting these 3 things in check have changed my life. A lot of things are better plus I can exercise daily. I have energy to be able to doings without falling asleep.

I would seriously get a sleep study done. Research is showing that more than 20 events per hour are a major contributor to heart disease. I was 6 times that.

Take care and get well.

Top Bottom