Winter Project - 1982 CBX

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I picked this CBX up on Dec 26th. It has not been started since 1992. I have all winter to get it running and road worthy.

Clutch

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It hasn't run for 22 years? You're a brave soul to take on that project. I hope you can get it running by next spring. Keep us posted on your progress.

Bike
2006 ST
Have fun ! I love doing those projects. Two summers ago I went through a 72 CB 350 for a customer that hadn't been run since 1984, just puttering on it, it was about a month before I even started it, purred like a kitten, first did the clutch,carbs, points, fuel tank, oil pan, etc,etc before touching the kick starter.

Bike
ST1100 m 1999
I hope all the parts are ok? because a friend of mine his dad has a CX500 turbo.
And those parts are a B.tch to find on the net!
Good luck anayway

The Cheese

I am legitimately jealous. Always wanted one of those, especially in white/blue with bags. Have fun with the resto. She is a beauty!

st1300doug

Awesome! The model I always wanted. Take your time on those CARBS! What a find! Good luck!

OP
OP
Clutch Cargo
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It hasn't run for 22 years? You're a brave soul to take on that project. I hope you can get it running by next spring. Keep us posted on your progress.
I'm either brave or foolish.........I just added up all of the parts I will need to get this thing road worthy - about a grand..... and that's just what I know about today.

Clutch

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Clutch. I have done several old Hondas that looked much worse than your new old CBX and have never really had an issue getting them running even after sitting for many years. But that is a big difference than road worthy. Personally I would hold off on spending money until you get it fired up. Those motors are quite costly to rebuild, I would get it running and go from there.

I always get a brand new battery, those bikes have electronic ignition and require a strong battery to fire. The obvious new plugs, and while they are out put a little Marvels Mystery oil in each cylinder. Let it sit a few days before you turn it over. Depending on the miles I would look at putting new plug wires on. I think they unscrew from the coils. For the carbs I would pull the left hand carb bowl off. That one usually is the one that gets all the crap and corrosion. If it is clean I would put that carb back together, turn it over a few times, put the plugs back in and give it a go.

This looks like a great project I hope all goes well. I have had help from Mike Nixon in the past. He is a great guy. I think he is closed though for January. One note on the CBX, for me I like the fairing and bags, but here in Colorado the factory naked CBX brings much more money. This is something I don't quite understand.

Congrats on the new addition. In our 30+ Honda collection, we have a '79, an '80, and an '82. The '82 has been our two up rider for the last 15 years. (recently replaced with '04 ST.).
I can help with any questions you have as you dig into it.

How many miles are on it?

You'll want to check the alternator brushes as they're a wear item which are easy to replace, and you don't want to wait until they're gone.

The fuel tubes between carbs can begin to weep if you don't ride it too often. They'll swell up and be OK for a while, but it's a precursor to constant leaks. Randaks sells a complete seal replacement kit but it requires a complete carb teardown. (Just redid my '80 carbs a couple of months ago).

Tim's CBX has a lot of replacement and upgrade parts and is a good source for info.

Tip for getting yours started. With a vacuum petcock, it can take forever to get enough fuel into six carbs to get it started. If you pull off the vacuum line going into #3 carb and put a syringe (or just suck on it a little bit) to pull a little vacuum it will allow the carbs to fill. Otherwise you can easily drain a battery waiting for enough fuel to fill up the bowls.

Enjoy.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just curious, does the '82 CBX have an 85mph speedometer on it? IIRC, my '81 GS850 had one on it.

Bike
2003 ST1300
That looks like a good time! 2 years ago I found a "Barn find" in a co-workers garage... he had a 1982 Honda CB900F that only had 16K on it, and was stored away since 1983... I bought it for $500 bucks and had my mechanic help me get it up and running... everything in the bike was practically new but I had to change the tired, fluids, hoses ETC... it ran like a champ!! But I am not a big fan of older bikes because I dont know how to maintain them with the carbs and stuff so I sold it for 5 times more I bought it for to some really, really happy older gentlemen who said it was "his dream bike since I was 16 years old!" So I was more then happy to see it go to someone who would appreciate it more then me... Was a fun project!

cb900f1.jpg

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Darn, great find! What a beauty! :D

If you can't get it running, just park it in the house and put a glass top on it! :D

Top Bottom