Winter Project - 1982 CBX

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
When I was looking for a larger bike than my XL250s I looked at a CBX, but although my all time dream bike, in my price range and "it runs well" it only ran when someone spritzed starting fluid into the air filter housing. Now, I'd have thought on it, but then, I ran far and fast. The difference is now I don't need it ... I just "Oh yeah, I WANT that" and if it took a year to get running, it wouldn't hamper my riding time much.
Have fun ... a few years back, the local shop said the labor rate for the carbs was $900 for an R&R

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Lots of good Zen to be harvested in getting this one purring again. Maybe I'm wierd, but I'm jealous on a deeper level. Hope you enjoy the restoration.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Count me as another envious observer. You will need to update your signature line...

OP
OP
Clutch Cargo
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for all of the tips and encouragement. A friend of my suggested Pinesol - I've used it to clean the outside of the carbs. I have a one gallon carb "dunk tank" that I picked up at Advance Auto - I use that for cleaning the jets and carb bowls. The motor is out for cleaning, painting, valve adjustments and any other maintenance item that the shop manual recommends.

Clutch

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I had heard that it was the pine oil in Pine-Sol that does a lot of the cleaning. Have read that it no longer has ANY pine oil in the formula!
Walmarts' Great Value brand still has pine oil. 8.7%

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just out of curiosity, I looked it up in Wikipedia and found the following:

Pine Sol changed the formula in 2013 to a formula that lacked pine oil.

As of 2008, the*material safety data sheet*for the "Original Pine-Sol Brand Cleaner 1" formulation lists 8–12%*pine oil, 3-7%*alkyl*alcohol ethoxylates, 1-5% sodium petroleumsulfonate*and 1-5%*isopropyl alcohol.[2]*More recently, The Clorox Company's product line includes "Clorox Commercial Pine-Sol Brand Cleaner, with the same ingredients and concentrations as "Original Pine-Sol Brand Cleaner 1."[3]*Since January 2013, Clorox also makes a product called Original Pine-Sol Multi-Surface Cleaner which includes*glycolic acid*while lacking any pine oil.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Where do you get things like points for these old bikes?
Don't think very many if any bikes had breaker point ignition by 1982. I know my '81 Suzuki GS850 didn't. Most other stuff can probably be found on eBay or some place similar. May be able to get NOS (New Old Stock) stuff if you do a little searching for it.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I believe that the CBX has Pulser type ignition and not points. It should look like this. See photo

Try David Silver Spares for parts

CBX pulser.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I hope all the parts are ok? because a friend of mine his dad has a CX500 turbo.
And those parts are a B.tch to find on the net!
Good luck anayway
There are lots of outlets for CBX parts, both OEM and aftermarket. It was much more popular and iconic than the CX500, especially the turbo model.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I think I see a RWL Dunlop K181 on the rear, haven't seen those in a long, long time. I seem to remember them phasing out in the mid-'80s when the Sport Elite/Touring Elite took over. Or did they keep making them for Harleys and such?

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Ah back to my sorted youth.......when I was an 18 year old carpenter's apprentice. A journeyman I worked with was framing his house and offered his 2000 mile 82' CBX (identical to this beauty) to me in trade for my labor to help him frame the house. I was riding a beaten Yamaha XT250, had a bike license for 2 months...........and weighed 140 lbs in a wet sweatshirt. Somehow.......and don't ask me how...........I felt it was too much bike for me. I still kick myself in the *****!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom