DLC Plug Location?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm trying to install a gear position indicator and could not find the DLC plug. I dug around looking for it three separate times, and could not find it.

My shop manual said it was on the main wiring harness - rear right side of the bike under the seat. Honda even had a drawing showing where it was located. Other posts here said the same thing. Joe added that it was taped to the harness, yet, I had more trouble finding this connector than I did finding the quartet harness plug or the speedometer feed connector. I think what I discovered covers from '07 onward.

Finally, I decided to just jump right in and do whatever was necessary to dig out this connector. And yes, everyone was correct as to its location. However, I would guess that each bike is going to be a little different. My connector was taped to the main harness with two not quite overlapping layers of electrical tape. This tape completely covered the connector, and no red was showing. Additionally, the connector was taped near the bottom of the harness - call it 5 o'clock and it was hidden by the harness itself and part of the black plastic of the tool tray. I located it by feeling along the harness (as much as I could) and when I found a bulge, I started digging. Luckily, the tape did not cover the back of the connector - where the wires enter - and I saw some red plastic. A sharp pair of scissors cut the tape, revealing the red DLC. I used a pair of hemostats to peel back the tape, freeing the connector and then a combination of needle nose pliers and a screwdriver to poke the connector forward and clear of the edge of the tool tray(?) edge.

I would post a picture but the whole area is black plastic, black tape on the harness, and nothing shows up very well. In fact, I needed a very bright LED flashlight in order to see what I could and cut the tape. The DLC has a plastic cap over it - that is also red. Since the cap is toward the rear of the bike, it is not visible when you are looking for the DLC - no help here even if it is not covered by the tape.

Obvious warnings: Be careful when you start cutting - the wires are very small and it will be easy to cut one of them. That tape was tenacious - getting the connector free of it was not easy.

Top Bottom