Exhaust header torque spec.

Bike
2010 ST1300
What is the torque spec for a 2010 ST's exhaust headers? Since I am crushing new copper gaskets into place, I would think this is an important spec. but I cannot find it in the shop manual anywhere. Exhaust band clamp torque specs, yes, header studs, nope. Got anti seize in place, nuts on and finger tight, all set but for the specification.

Bike
2010 ST1300 ABS
I looked in my factory manual (I have a 2010 as well) they call the fastener an Exhaust Pipe stud bolt but do not list the torque value. They so indicate the diameter of the stud as 6mm. They have a "Standard Torque Value" table in the General Information section of the manual that indicates the torque of a 6mm bolt and nut should be 10 N.m or 7 lbf-ft.

It sounds about right to me.

Keith

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
The Clymer Manual for an ST1100 says to tighten the first nut to 88 in-lb (10 N-m) and the second nut to 144 in-lb (17 N-m), finally tighten the first nut 144 in-lb (17 N-m). Repeat for the second header.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The Clymer Manual for an ST1100 says to tighten the first nut to 88 in-lb (10 N-m) and the second nut to 144 in-lb (17 N-m), finally tighten the first nut 144 in-lb (17 N-m). Repeat for the second header.
This looks like it would be the right way to do it. Never a good idea to tighten to the final torque value specified the first time around when there are multiple fasteners used to secure a part.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I looked in my factory manual (I have a 2010 as well) they call the fastener an Exhaust Pipe stud bolt but do not list the torque value. They so indicate the diameter of the stud as 6mm. They have a "Standard Torque Value" table in the General Information section of the manual that indicates the torque of a 6mm bolt and nut should be 10 N.m or 7 lbf-ft.

It sounds about right to me.

Keith
OK, Keith, If you can find it, says me, so can I.

I'd already scoured this site and my shop manual for the answer to this question before I posted it. I'd found torque specs for the muffler clamps and gone page by page through the manual. Looked in Exhaust, and Engine/cylinder heads. No luck. I'd even measured a new 6mm cap screw at .228 in (5.79mm od thread dia), an 8mm cap screw at .307 (7.79mm) and my exhaust flange stud at .264 in (6.70mm). I compared the stud to new 6 and 8 mm nuts and guessed it was a 7mm stud (not that I'd heard of that). Then I averaged the torque specs for 6 and 8mm bolts and came up with 16 n-m (12.5 lb-ft) for my 7mm stud as a target. I even looked at discounthondaparts.com's fiche system. The studs in the cylinder head are listed as 8x24mm studs, need 4 of them, (90035 MM5 000) per cylinder head, and the nuts on the Muffler Fiche show 8 Flanged Nuts - 7 mm (90304 MM5 000). Obviously I'd found the wrong studs or Honda made a mistake (Honda? Never!).

Still have not put a wrench on the bike to tighten anything.

So I hit the manual again. Voila! Page 1-16, right above my own highligthed "Muffler band bolt", there it was: Exhaust Pipe Flange Nut - quant 8; Thd Dia 7 mm; torque 17 n-m/12 lb-ft

I'll hit the wrenches tomrrow. And I never torque any spec'ed fastener down all the way the first time. Usually in two or three stages. Since many many years ago I read that torque specs were written for clean, dry new threads, and since I always anti seize something like exhaust system fasteners, I tend to max out at a slightly lower torque than specified.

Thank you all for your help here.

Peter

Top Bottom