Valve Stem replacements options.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I use plain-old rubber valve stems ( from my local tire store ) and change them at every tire change. Never had a problem when they are changed that often. The UV light doesn't have a chance to "age" the rubber with that frequent a change. I don't trust the rubber seal on the metal stems to last forever. To each his own, I guess.
Agree wholeheartedly...
I don't trust those metal stems, risk of cracks/braking, the seal giving in or, the total havoc, the fixing nut coming off while riding... in all increased risks of sudden deflation while at speed... :(

I'm (yet) also no friend of those "plug in" TPMS thingies... not those screw-on caps, nor the ones integrated in a valve stem base (probably better but no option for frequent valve stem replacement during tire change)... when the batteries run low the sensor output is off! (experienced that multiple times with the hand-held digital tire-manometers...)
I might go with a no batteries(!) kit with counterweights fixed into the rim by rigid steel bands, energizing/charging via piezo due the wheel rotation/bounce, so the plain rubber stems remain in use...

Since this isn't to be seen anywhere I stick with the KISS concept of the simple and plain rubber stems and checking my tire pressure frequently... so far the best fail-safe concept...

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
.. " when the batteries run low the sensor output is off! "

I have heard about that happening from others, too. Might be a good idea to carry some spare batteries, just in case ....or change them at the beginning of each riding season.

" Since this isn't to be seen anywhere I stick with the KISS concept of the simple and plain rubber stems and checking my tire pressure frequently... so far the best fail-safe concept... "

BTW, I carry a tire gauge I picked up at the HD dealer - nice "right angle" gauge and doesn't need a battery. Works great with those straight rubber valve stems

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
JMHO, but the angled valve stems are a "muST have" if you travel at all and might ever need to use a gas station air chuck. Tip: angle the stems to the right side for ease of use with the STeed on the sidestand.

John
via iPhone 4S
+1, in my case it was almost impossible to add air to the tires (especially the rear) except by using a gas station air chuck - extremely difficult at home trying to use a 12V compressor with the typical "bicycle tire" chuck on the end of the hose. Not sure about the 1100, but air can't be added to the rear on a ST1300 because the brake rotor is in the way. Same considerations when on the road with my Slime compact air pump.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I am now using T-stems from tpms.ca which allow me to mount my Doran TPMS sensors externally and vertically so they get clearance to the brake rotors on the FJR. No need to remove sensors to add air to the side port. Also allows removal of TPMS sensors for storage periods, that is, Doran sensors transmit as long as there is air pressure...... extends the life of the Doran sensor batteries which are not replaceable. There are some systems out there with replaceable batteries in the sensors.... Garmin's for one, but there are others.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Since this isn't to be seen anywhere I stick with the KISS concept of the simple and plain rubber stems and checking my tire pressure frequently... so far the best fail-safe concept..
Nothing is fail-safe. So far, can be, a short distance, or never. So far, no problems with the Ariete stems and the screw on caps. The stems have a thread locking compound on the internal nut. I trust that to not loosen. Works on critical fasteners else where on our bikes. The caps could fail, but the benefit for me out weighs the chance.

As always, do what works for you, or in this case, me.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I've seen several rubber valve stems fail. Usually from age. They are suppose to be replaced everytime you change a tire, but how many actually do that.

OP
OP
mznyc
Bike
1993 ST1100
Valve stems are in.Look sturdy.Also looking forward to the angle should be much easier to access.Never had or noticed it difficult to get to the stock rubber stems,just adapted my approach to getting to it even with a long gas station nozzle.The day i pulled the stem out,it was cold,I was in a rush and didn't take care as I normally would by trying to guide the stem out to the nozzle.Um,not in 15 degree temps and an old stem hombre'.Won't be an issue with these babies.

Attachments

Top Bottom