coolant leak

STOC #
Hello. I have a new-to-me 2007 1300, 45K miles. I'm smelling coolant. Is there a common place that leaks where i could start looking?
Thx.
Marty

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
When the weather gets cooler you'll get some normal leaking from the water pump.. You'll see it from the weep hole/tube on the right side of the engine towards the front, I think the 2007 just has the hole and not the tube... or, you might have some leaking from the hose clamps... which may also show up in that area but higher.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Take a look at your hoses and clamps under the throttle bodies that will be where you problem is I bet.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Marty:

Have a look at posts #120 through to 126 inclusive in the following post: ST1300 - Solving the Coolant Leak Problem... For Good. Those 7 posts form an illustrated "how-to" story explaining how to tighten all the hose clamps on a ST 1300 without removing the fuel tank, throttle bodies, etc. You can skip the first 3 pages of that discussion (except for the last post on the 3rd page, which is #120), because the first 3 pages consists of talk about alternative hose clamps, the installation of which will require a huge amount of disassemby (and financial outlay).

I did exactly what is recommended in those 7 posts by forum member '4Jranch' 2 weeks ago, and it has solved all my coolant leak problems. You will need to go buy a jug of Honda coolant before you start, because removing the radiator to access the clamps implies draining all the coolant, but coolant is cheap and it has to be changed every 2 years anyway. Since you probably don't know when (or even if) the coolant was last changed on your bike, it fits in nicely with solving the leak problem. It took me about 5 hours to do everything, beginning with Tupperware removal and ending with going for a test ride.

Michael

Top Bottom