2004 1300 Front Fork Rebuild / Replacement

Roy

Bike
2004 ST1300
I am in need of advise / suggestions.

Unfortunately I had an "incident" where I ran off the edge of the road in some gravel and laid down my baby in a ditch. I am just fine (didn't even scuff my riding boots). I wasn't moving fast, but it did a number on my tupperware in the gravel and twisted my front suspension in the ditch.

I am not positive, but I feel pretty sure that my left fork is bent. If it is, it is slight enough that I can't be sure while on the bike. I am going to pull it and check it, but in any case, I am planning on rebuilding the forks while they are off.

Here are my questions:

1. If it is bent, do you think it advisable to just replace the tube?
  2. I have heard that progressive springs make a big difference in performance. Agree or disagree?
  3. What are your suggestions for progressive springs for 2004 ST-1300 non-ABS?
  4. Any links to products would be helpful.
  5. Any suggestions on fork rebuild kits?
  6. Any links for rebuild kits would be helpful.

Thank you for considering the questions / comments.

Happy New Year
Roy

This used to happen a lot on my dirtbikes. First thing to try is to loosen all the fork holding bolts slightly, then see if the forks "move" back into alignment. Sometimes the tubes just get a little 'tweaked' and need only a chance to go back to aligned.

Bike
ST 1300 2004
Here in Europe, these are the most commonly used,

ohlins suspension
hyperpro suspension
wp suspension
wilbers suspension
matris suspension

On the CBR600RR ohlins suspension.

On the st1300, there will be hyperpro suspension in, on the next service.
same as the motorcycle cops here.

From financial point of view, motors equipped as standard with Linear springs.
The compression of the upper and lower half of this type of spring takes the same amount of force.
Develops Hyperpro progressive springs for the front fork of your bike, this suspension is stiffer
as more force is applied to.

This gives the following advantages:

Shorter braking distance
Better balance in the bike
Comfortable ride, even with passenger
bends easier
Greatly improved tire life
Gives confidence

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
kiekeboe said:
snipped...........

From financial point of view, motors equipped as standard with Linear springs.
The compression of the upper and lower half of this type of spring takes the same amount of force.
Develops Hyperpro progressive springs for the front fork of your bike, this suspension is stiffer
as more force is applied to.

This gives the following advantages:

Shorter braking distance
Better balance in the bike
Comfortable ride, even with passenger
bends easier
Greatly improved tire life
Gives confidence
According to the head of Honda UK Police versions of the ST1300 come equipped with linear (straight rate) fork springs. It's a modification Honda made after the fatal 2005 crash of a Merseyside police officer.

Civilian versions come standard with progressive (rising rate) springs. Both models have a spring rate of .87 kg/mm. The .87 kg/mm rate stock progressive springs are too soft for riders about 160 lbs and up thus stiffer springs are required for heavier riders to get sag to acceptable numbers.

To the OP, progressive rate springs are sold by Hyperpro. The other popular aftermarket springs are not progressive (they are straight rate) and sold by Race Tech and Sonic. Both types of spring have their adherents and each supplier's website will tell you why they recommend one over the other. I'm 150 lbs and like the stock spring with longer spacers.

Last edited:
Bike
ST 1300 2004
On my 2004 are linear fork springs.
Do not know if the previous owner, it has changed or not.
I do know that some of my friends in the traffic police
in Antwerp and Brussels, Have Hyperpro on their motorcycles.
I have my st1300 already tested on the circuit.
and do not know the difference between the two.
if you like speed and cornering,
Progressive springs is a good idea.
here we have no long straights,
outside the highway.
in 2 hours you can drive from one side to the other side of Belgium.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
On my 2004 are linear fork springs.
Do not know if the previous owner, it has changed or not.
I do know that some of my friends in the traffic police
in Antwerp and Brussels, Have Hyperpro on their motorcycles.
I have my st1300 already tested on the circuit.
and do not know the difference between the two.
if you like speed and cornering,
Progressive springs is a good idea.
here we have no long straights,
outside the highway.
in 2 hours you can drive from one side to the other side of Belgium.
I think the summary is that it is easier to tune or match compression and damping characteristics to linear rate springs. Tuning compression and rebound damping to progressive rate springs is more difficult because the spring rate changes during suspension travel. Some aftermarket "performance" suspension tuners only deal with linear rate springs and it's pretty accurate to say that track oriented motorcycles utilize linear rate springs. Road use motorcycles may use either for a variety of reasons.

The USA is a big place and it has plenty of places where the roads are very tight and technical as well as large areas where the roads are long and straight.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When you pull the tubes, find a nice straight-flat area and just roll them on it. You know if they are bent!

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
Hey Roy, sorry about the mishap!
As mentioned i would loosen the pinch bolts and axle nut and and try to see if you can line everything back up. If you find that one or two tubes are tweaked it depends on how much as to the need to replace the tubes or not. If the tubes are not kinked and only tweaked they can be straightened. I straightened many myself, but some shops will do it for you. V-blocks and a dial gauge will tell the tale.
Good luck and get back out there asap.

BR

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would also include inspecting the steering stem, bearings, races, and adjustment now also.
Loosening the tubes may allow a damaged tube to settle and appear straight, but the stem could still be damaged.

Top Bottom