Do bar risers effect handling?

I'm considering purchasing a set of bike quip risers do they adversely effect handling by moving more body weight backwards?

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
My experience is no. I'd say that's most peoples also. I see ALOT more STs with risers than without. They really add comfort for those of us that are vertically challenged. :)

You can always lean forward in the corners. I know that just doing that little move makes my corners feel astronomically more stable.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Live in a twisty area, added the Heli 3.2 riser in 2013. Handling is more fluid since my attention is fully focused on the road rather than how uncomfortable I am. The original configuration was just bad geometry for me, but everyone's arm length, torso length and seat setup are different. I find my handling is impacted more by tire choice than anything else.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Depends on your physical dimensions....I had the MCL riser/up and back on for about six weeks and took them off....much more control in corners and also more of a sense of being in the mc instead of on it....6 feet tall and 200lbs....also depends on what your riding priorities are, slabbing I can see people doing the upright more relaxed riser ergo...if you enjoy the twisties as priority stock is better...TO ME....ride one that's been modified if you can and see what YOU think.....goodluck, have fun............ff

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Any change you make to the geometry will have a consequence.

Wether or not you notice it... hard to say.
I didn't notice a change in my ST's cornering putting on heli risers, but I did notice a significant improvement in comfort.

OP
OP
Thank you for all of your input

There are just times where I feel more comfortable keeping my arms straight which gives a more upright feeling but obviously straight arms = less control/leverage on the bars

A little about myself and riding style
* I ride twisty UK A roads which are 60-70mph
* I'm 5'10" and 13 atone (175lbs?)

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
In my experience, yes. I have used the stock configuration, Gen I, Gen II and Gen III risers from either Tour Performance or MCL. The change in handling from stock to Gen I or Gen II is not that noticeable for me; The change to Gen III is very noticeable in that I find the front end feels a bit lighter and takes some getting used to, but the Gen III is very comfortable for long distance touring. For a nice balance of comfort and handling, I prefer the Gen II risers.

Shameless plug: My Gen I, Gen II and Gen III risers are available for purchase. Send me a PM if interested.

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Thank you for all of your input

There are just times where I feel more comfortable keeping my arms straight which gives a more upright feeling but obviously straight arms = less control/leverage on the bars

A little about myself and riding style
* I ride twisty UK A roads which are 60-70mph
* I'm 5'10" and 13 atone (175lbs?)
I'm the same weight and height, and have BikeQuip risers fitted, because I was getting shoulder ache from straight arms. The only thing you will need to retrain your body, as I initially subconsciously was riding with straight arms, but that only lasted a few days and now much more relaxed riding and no shoulder aches. Definitely recommend them and I haven't found any impact at all to the handling.

Cheers

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST1300 has only 44% of its curb weight on the front wheel and a 200 lb rider is 22% of combined total weight. Purely from a technical POV moving rider weight an inch or two forward can help this imbalance and make a difference in handling. In corners I scrunch up against the tank and it helps me better feel the front contact patch. I'm 5' 6"ish and I prefer the stock ergos - no risers.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
I'm considering purchasing a set of bike quip risers do they adversely effect handling by moving more body weight backwards?
I have a set fitted to my 1300 and they do not affect the handling in any way. If you need any more info drop me a PM.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Going from stock to a Gen III Helibar riser I did notice a difference and for me it was substantial and in a good way. My weight is off the bars and I feel like I have more leverage on the bars. "More fluid" is exactly how I'd describe the result.

STimpa

Livin my best life!
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have the first generation risers on my '03 and find no handling issues as a result.
I have to confess, I have ridden many "spirited" miles with bmotsenbocker, and if his handling is compromised, I don't want him to switch back! I have my hands full keeping up with him as it is :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A short guy like me sits pretty much upright on a stock ST1300. Coming off a VTX1300 when I first got on my new ST it felt like I had a lot of weight on my wrists but not really.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have to confess, I have ridden many "spirited" miles with bmotsenbocker, and if his handling is compromised, I don't want him to switch back! I have my hands full keeping up with him as it is :)
STimpa has a local handle of "Rocketman" and he states he has a tough time keeping up. Don't let him fool you!

Top Bottom