that little green puddle

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Darn it, looks like I have to track down a coolant leak. Showed up this morning after having been out doing errands in the 20's yesterday.
I did all hoses, elbows etc last winter. Has been fine since, until today. Puddle is up front (not at the sidestand), so I'm guessing that the stuff in the valley is ok.. After a quick look, looks like the radiator cap area is dry and I think radiator hoses are ok.
Took some plastic off for a better look see shortly.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Check the clamp at the upper radiator hose connection. BTDT x 3 over the years. Iowa heat/cold cycles. I've got new hoses on the shelf awaiting the timing belt and water pump R&R in the spring.

John
via iPhone 4S

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Darn it, looks like I have to track down a coolant leak. Showed up this morning after having been out doing errands in the 20's yesterday.
I did all hoses, elbows etc last winter. Has been fine since, until today. Puddle is up front (not at the sidestand), so I'm guessing that the stuff in the valley is ok.. After a quick look, looks like the radiator cap area is dry and I think radiator hoses are ok.
Took some plastic off for a better look see shortly.
....the upside being better to see that green at or near home as opposed to being 500mi. from nowhere;).

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I've been there , done that, got the t-shirt !....
Both time it happened late fall early winter when cold out in am. Seems like aluminum expands and contract faster than the steel clamps. Both time it was my clamps off the thermostat.
Neither time did I worry and rush as i knew what it was and loss of fluid is really minimum. Tightened up on the clamps, hasn't leaked in 3 yrs.

edit.. saw yrs is an 1100, referring to 1300 on my end

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Roads are finally salt free, so after running around a bit yesterday, no puddle/leaks today. Looks like just a snugging of the hose clamps did the trick.

Bike
92 ST1100
Good to hear the weather is allowing you to get some 'test' riding in and cure all the little 'glitches' before your LD ride this direction. 65-70F temps here the past week, so need to start 'breaking in' the ole' bones for another riding season myself:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom