Thoughts on my 2014 BMW R1200RT

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Several people have asked me for my $.02 on my 2014 BMW R1200RT. Not surprisingly, I have been accumulating my thoughts since I picked up my slightly used RT on November 1. Now that my driveway is solid ice, I decided to take time to organize those thoughts.

Rewind to November 2002. I bought the first 2003 ST1300 delivered to a customer in New England. It’s a great bike, the motor in particular, and the people I’ve met via this machine have become some of my closest friends. Of course every machine involves tradeoffs and the ST's mass has been my one ongoing complaint about that bike for the past 12 years.

Lightness has been an RT advantage for years. When I started reading comments among moto journalists that the new liquid cooled motor was smooth, and complaints from more than a few BMW boxer traditionalists that the new motor lacked “character” (which I interpreted to mean it was smooth), I was intrigued. Since Honda still has no public plans regarding a replacement or even a refreshing for the ST1300, I started giving the BMW consideration. Fair warning about BMW’s generous demo ride policy: I took an hour-long demo ride on an RT and was convinced within a few miles. Test ride one at your peril!

Weight
The RT is 125 pounds lighter than an ST. For a short, boney guy like me, that’s a huge benefit. The bike’s weight advantage is apparent when I lift it off the side stand. It’s easy to maneuver at low speed. The center of gravity feels low. I can move it around the garage without having to sit on it and walk it around. It goes up on the center stand way easier than the ST. Overall, it’s beautifully balanced. On the twisty roads I prefer, I’m finding the RT is a lot more playful than the ST. I can’t wait to get the RT down to my Aunt Muriel’s neck of the woods in western North Carolina.

Motor
I have never bought into the notion that machines have “soul” but I do think they are distinguishable by certain characteristics. The smoothness of the ST’s V4 is one such characteristic. The RT's 2-cylinder mill has more discernable power pulses than a V4 but the new liquid-cooled boxer is not coarse or vibey. One characteristic the V4 and boxer share is lots of useable torque down low, so there’s no need to rev when you’re motivated to go. Just roll on and hang on.

This wet-head is a huge improvement over all of the oil-cooled 1150 and 1200 Beemers I've ridden (including one I rode back-to-back with my RT a couple weeks ago). The paint-shaker vibes and agricultural feel of the 1150 and 1200 oil heads is history. I’m really liking this motor. I’m trying to think of a word for the sound the motor makes when munching miles. The ST kind of says “weeeeeee.” The RT seems to say “thrrrrrr” like the rapid trilling “r” we learned in Spanish class.

Suspension
My RT has electronic adjustments for preload (set with the bike on and at full stop), for on the fly shock soft/normal/hard settings, plus on the fly rain/normal/dynamic settings for the traction control system (also impacting throttle sensitivity and ABS involvement). BMW front ends provide a different feedback sensation than conventional forks, which is taking some getting used to. I’ve previously described it as kind of vague, like electric power steering in a car. The bike handles beautifully so I think that funky front end will become my friend with time and experience.

I’ve mentioned to some people I’ve seen in person that the RT tracks like a laser. It impressed me so much that while riding on MA 67, a gently curving 2-lane along the Quaboag River, I set the cruise control, took my hands off the bars and rode several miles steering the bike with my body (knees, mostly). I could have tied a necktie, eaten a sandwich and conducted an orchestra.

Brakes
I’ll be keeping an even closer eye on who’s behind me because there won’t be many vehicles on the road that can stop shorter. The new RT has some of the hardest hitting brakes I have ever felt, and there’s not much dive due to the geometry of the front end. The hand lever links the front and rear brakes with the bike’s computer managing how they are proportioned. The foot pedal is rear brake only. I like that setup. Antilock, of course.

Misc Features
The RT’s features and integration are unlike anything I've experienced in a motor vehicle (4 wheels or 2), except for blueSTormer’s K1600GT, which is similarly equipped. The GPS, the Bluetooth in the helmet (I sprung for a new Schuberth C3 Pro), the vast array of information available using simple menus and the wonder wheel multi-controller…it’s all well-conceived and executed. The heated grips and seats have been great, especially since I picked up this bike in November.

The cruise control is spot on. Cruise is something I’ve wanted on a bike for years and I’ve settled for mechanical throttle locks until now.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think this bike is a looker. It’s like the ST has been going to the gym and found a better tailor.

To my eye the RT is a tad nose-heavy design wise, in stock form, but adding a BMW top case balances out the look. I had the top case painted to match. For some reason, BMW delivers all RT top cases in one color, Aluminum White. BMW calls my bike color Quartz Blue although it looks like silver to most people.

The fairing pockets are useful but I wish they were as big as the ST pockets. They lock along with the central locking system that also locks the pannier and top case, using the key fob or a button on the bars.

I won’t stop turning my head to see what’s behind me before changing lanes, but the mirrors provide a good view aft and are positioned so I’m not looking at my hands.

I love the side facing tire valves cast into the rims. Very convenient. The cold pressure reading on the bike’s TPM matches my old fashioned Milton gauge.

The dash is far enough forward that I don’t need reading glasses to see that various readouts. Yea! I prefer analog gauges and the RT has both analog speedo and tach. I’d like larger numbers on both. The menus are very legible. The breadth and depth of information available approaches ridiculous. Eyes on the road!

Air flow management is stellar. With the shield all the way down I get a nice smooth blast into my helmet. It gets quieter as I raise the shield and I can still look over and be in a very quiet pocket of still air. There’s no noticeable backpressure. An interesting way to gauge this is that when wearing a heated jacket my back doesn’t get hotter than my chest, which was always the case with my ST which has significant back pressure no matter which windshield I’ve had on it. Not sure how the RT’s air flow works for someone considerably taller than I am as the rider would be sitting higher in the saddle and the shield would have to go up farther, making it more vertical which messes with smooth air flow.

I’m finding the standard seat very comfortable. Mine is heated (5 settings via the wonder wheel). The pillion also gets bun warmers (hi/lo on a seat mounted switch). I have the standard seat set on the lower of two settings. The bike is not as tall as the last R1200RT I rode, which had me on tippy-toes at full stop. The seat is narrower up front so the reach to the ground is less. On a test ride I realized the available low seat is lower because so much padding is removed. The seat pan is the same. It felt very hard and also increased the bend in my knees more than I liked. No thanks. I’m securely on the balls of my feet with the standard seat and low setting.

There’s no more dry clutch. It’s very smooth although the engagement range is narrower than the ST, which I understand is the nature of a slipper clutch and BMW wet clutches in general. The transmission is so snick-snick smooth it feels positively Japanese. And guess what I learned? It is Japanese! However, it has a decidedly percussive “k-thunk” going into first from neutral. A little throttle blip helps that.

The recovery stroke after shifting is a bit longer than the ST so I have to lower my left foot more to prepare the RT for the next upshift. That’s similar to my Versys, so just a matter of training muscle memory. The shift assist feature allows for instant, throttle-on clutchless upshifts and throttle-off clutchless downshifts. For 1[SUP]st[/SUP] to 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] upshifts you really have to be accelerating hard. It works with less thrust shifting to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]/4[SUP]th[/SUP]/5[SUP]th[/SUP]/6[SUP]th[/SUP]. The bike blips the throttle automatically and with a bit of practice I’m finding it works well. Light speed comes quickly! One advantage over Honda’s dual clutch system is that BMW retains a clutch, which makes slow speed maneuvers easier than I found with Honda’s setup on the VFR1200F DCT which requires throttle and rear brake only (no clutch to feather) for slow speed maneuvers.

Hill assist is the same concept as the hill hugger on Subarus, for those who remember. Stop on to a hill, squeeze the brake lever and you feel the brake engage and it holds you on the incline even when you release the brake lever. When you give it throttle to pull away, it disengages. Note that you need to give it more throttle than usual to overcome the braking and you have to pay attention so you don’t end up with a whiskey throttle launch. A skill set I learned decades ago (using the rear brake to hold the bike on an incline while throttling away from a stop) makes this feature unnecessary and I haven’t actually found a need for it. I suppose an awkwardly angled uphill intersection may be waiting for me out there and if one appears the bike has a feature that can help address the circumstances, but I could live without it.

Some of you may have been around a campfire when I’ve stirred the pot regarding traditional BMW turn signals which employ three separate switches (left, right, cancel). I always figured German engineering should come up with something simpler. This RT has a conventional one-switch, three-function turn signal. BMW traditionalists grit their teeth while others say “finally…”

Music anyone? There’s Sirius Satellite radio, FM, an Aux port for your iPod/iPhone/MP3 player and my favorite, a USB port where you put a memory stick with all your tunes on it. Simple, small, no battery and it doesn’t interfere with your phone. Stick it there and after you run through 3000 songs, start over or put on some new ones.

I had a time getting the various side panels back on my '14 RT after installing a crash bar and some auxiliary lights. There are fragile little tabs and nibs that don’t want to stay in the grommets. The BMW service manager walked me through removal on the phone, but getting the side panel to line up without angling it and breaking off the tabs requires someone with arms that are much thinner and perhaps twice as long as a standard adult human being. I read (studied) the owner manual and there’s nothing I could see that I was missing. I finally managed to get things aligned using my own skinny arms and a push bar I made from chopsticks. PITA! I’m looking forward to not removing those panels for a while.

Rewind to last spring. I was interested enough in the new RT that I was planning a demo ride to coincide with my birthday in June, and then BMW issued a worldwide "do not ride" order due to a problem with a rear shock component. What a pisser. You may know that it took the better part of 3 months for the replacement shocks to arrive. It was quite a black eye for BMW. Despite some artfully-crafted, cover-your-*** customer communications, I have to give them credit. If you didn't want to wait for the fix, BMW would buy back your bike for the price you paid or give you that full price toward another BMW model. If you didn't mind waiting, they'd give you $2500 for the inconvenience once your bike was fixed. I've learned that owners who endured the wait also got a 6-month warranty extension.

Some people sold their RT's back to BMW, which put the new rear shocks on and offered the repaired bikes for sale, used. After I took a demo ride and decided this was the bike for me, I was lucky enough to find one of those buy back bikes, with every factory option, only 3k miles and in the color I preferred, so I bought it. BMW got to absorb the 30% depreciation hit for a bike sold six months earlier.

To summarize, as an integrated package, the liquid-cooled RT is best motorcycle I've ever ridden. I've ridden a K1600GT as well and the 6-cylinder motor is incredible, but that bike weighs even more than an ST and it's taller than an RT so it never made my short list. For your short, boney, humble scribe, the RT is the better machine. The new boxer isn't a V4 but it is greatly improved over earlier boxers. It comes in a beautifully integrated package that is remarkably lighter than the ST1300, has low end torque for powering our corners like the ST, and has all the modern features that Honda doesn't seem interested in adding to the ST. I think it's a lot like what the ST could be if Honda cared about the model.

The ST is smoother. The RT is lighter, faster, better handling, better braking, better equipped, better integrated, and more comfortable. Will the RT be as reliable as a Honda? I’m not holding my breath but not worrying either. Time will tell.

My wife said, "You only live once, go for it" and I know better than to argue when she offers logic like that. I have an RT in the garage and an ST for sale. I am keeping the Versys, so the adventure bike bug is still satisfied...for now anyway.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Wow....Scott that is one heck of a review. Should be published, but then we here at ST-O wouldn't feel so special [emoji6]

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very nice... ! Thanks Scott, you got me thinking about an RT now... THAT's a good writer.

Bruski

R.I.P. 2020/10/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300A
Thanks for the excellent thorough review. I can't think of a question that you didn't address.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I can easily agree with everything you stated and I haven't even ridden the RT yet. My expectations would be exactly as you describe your experience on the new RT. I did hop a ride on the WC GS and I loved the engine. I won't be able to trade my Wing in on an RT for fear of getting hit with a frying pan (again) but I can make love to the thought of owning one just the same. Enjoy it to the fullest Scott. Don't let the bone doctor intimidate you on his 16. :D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the thoughtful review.

The whole riding experience is greater than the sum of the performance figures of course but there isn't that much objective difference in performance figures when comparing the MCN review of the 2003 ST and the 2014 RT. The wet weight difference is 85 lbs full tank to full tank, the difference in 60 to zero braking distance is 1 foot, the 1/4 mile and 0 to 100 mph figures are about 1/10 and 1 second different respectively. Subjectively the riding experience is entirely different of course. 12 years forward does make a difference.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Having just traded my 03 ST1300 in on a new 2014 FJR, I found your report on the BMW RT very interesting. I now am looking for and reading the Comparisons of the FJR and the RT. Although I did not get the ES model. I too was looking for less weight and equal + performance. Have you been able to do an analyse on cost; present, short term, and long term. Is it possible for the owner to do the scheduled maint. or does the bike require special, BMW only test equipment?I am very interested in cost of ownership over a five year period @ 12 to 15000 miles a year.

I too have kept my Wee 650 for the occasional off the pavement, dirt road rides. Again, very interesting review. Thanks.

Good write-up Bones. I think BMW has so many good things going for them these days it's hard not look at them. Honda is still sitting on their thumbs when comes to Sport touring. If they keep turning out bikes like the ones they are doing now I think they will lose more & more riders, time will tell. I am lucky in StL to have a great BMW dealer & that means a lot to me, most Honda dealers in this area treat you like necessary evil. Like you said will the BMW be as reliable as the ST time will tell. I will tell You I would jump on my K16 & go out on long trip & wouldn't give it any more thought than I did with my ST. With the way the Beemers are set-up I would have to say :bmwkick1:

Last edited:

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Fantastic write up. Thanks for teasing me with that... :). It certainly is purdy to look at! You're right.. The top box really helps the balance. Honestly... The only thing you didn't sell me on was reliability. Those of us with <cough> limited budgets (read... Cheapest helmet available) can't afford to be guinea pigs in that department. Congrats! And as someone else stated.. You really should publish that one!

Troy

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Scott, Thanks for the review.
At the RTE I mention my test/demo ride on a buy back full loaded 2014 R1200RT. The bike had 1400 miles.
Dealer, Hermy's BMW. I rode that bike well over a hour. Back roads, I 78. The suspension, just plain great. The whole ride experience, far & away the BEST bike I have ridden. 1 difference, I have a good running St1300. With that, I believe my ST will clean up the R1200RT. Straight, drag style run. But, who rides like that?
Back to the BMW. Yes I'm going to purchase a 2015 San Marino Blue MET/granite Grey
Packages= Comfort, Tour, Dynamic, Luxury. Still thinking do I want Key less ride???

Extras= Engine Protection bars, Auxiliary lights, Alaska Sheep skin cover.
Looking at early SPRING

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Published wet weights for the ST and RT are all over the map. I used manufacturers' published figures for wet bikes with full fuel tanks, "ready to ride" -- 730 lbs for the 2012 ST and 604 lbs for the 2014 RT.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Regarding keyless, I just spent a week on a road trip in my mother's Toyota which has keyless ignition and I spent more time keeping track of that fob than I ever do with conventional keys. Better not get it wet, either. I'd get real keys. My $.02

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Well written review! I have resisted the temptation of taking one for a test ride because I only have three seasons under the belt with my present bike. Hope you have many trouble free miles ahead of you. We are planning to go out west in June and really other than tires and maybe the battery (it hasn't given me any cause to worry but others have said their battery was failing after three years so I figure it is probably cheaper and easier to replace the battery at home than on the road) I have no concerns about taking a 12,000 + km trip. My '12 RT has 55,000 km on it with the only issue being a warranty replacement of the left switch cluster because the cruise control resume function only worked intermittently. In September I stopped in at my dealer to look at heated gear and met a 2007 R1200GS rider who had ridden all over North America and had just recently topped 200,000 km. Over that time his biked required nothing but scheduled maintenance. I am optimistic that mine will work just as well.

Gerhard

Gerhard

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Bones, sounds like you bought the right bike. If the new RT was available last fall when I bought my K16 I may have taken a good look at them.

Reliability? All I can say is one year and 6k later my beemer has an oil change and set of tires.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I've ridden a K1600GT as well and the 6-cylinder motor is incredible, but that bike weighs even more than an ST and it's taller than an RT so it never made my short list.
I'd agree that the 6 cylinder on the K1600 is a boffo motor but if you compere the power to weight figures between the K1600 and the R1200RT you'd find that they are virtually identical.

My only nit to pick on the R1200 is that you need to stick premium fuel into it. Yeah I know, I've got the same requirement with my ST1300 but I see the price differential between regular grade and premium gas increasing quite a bit around my area lately.

This bike is on my short list whenever I do get around to getting another...

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
For those just looking? DO NOT TAKE A TEST/DEMO RIDE. What a GREAT riding bike.

On my research. I found the Beemer bone yard for the best price on oem parts. They have used too.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Having just traded my 03 ST1300 in on a new 2014 FJR, I found your report on the BMW RT very interesting. I now am looking for and reading the Comparisons of the FJR and the RT. Although I did not get the ES model. I too was looking for less weight and equal + performance. Have you been able to do an analyse on cost; present, short term, and long term. Is it possible for the owner to do the scheduled maint. or does the bike require special, BMW only test equipment?I am very interested in cost of ownership over a five year period @ 12 to 15000 miles a year.

I too have kept my Wee 650 for the occasional off the pavement, dirt road rides. Again, very interesting review. Thanks.
Chuck some prices from the Beemer Bone Yard.
air filter 27.51, oil filter 15.34, front brakes 91.93, rear brakes 106.40, Oil needed 5w-40 or 10-40. The bikes come with Castrol 10-40 I'm told. Yes U can do your own service. The first is just a oil change=600 miles.

Top Bottom