Thoughts on my 2014 BMW R1200RT

Fantastic review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I've been reading a lot on the RT, but yours is the first detailed head to head comparison.
I've been a Honda guy for, well..... a long time.
About three dozen of them (along with a lone 916 Duc) in the garage, basement, and dining room.
Never considered anything other than a Honda for two up sport touring until recently.
If I do decide to make the jump to an RT, I can now blame you. :)

Dave

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Published wet weights for the ST and RT are all over the map. I used manufacturers' published figures for wet bikes with full fuel tanks, "ready to ride" -- 730 lbs for the 2012 ST and 604 lbs for the 2014 RT.
Yes they are all over the place and even what a mfg constitutes ready to ride is open to interpretation. With the 2010s (???) the weight of BMW tourers did not include the weight of panniers which were 22 lbs or so. "Full" load of fuel is not 100% full, etc..

Small details though, splitting hairs 125 vs 85, the RT is much lighter and carries the weight low as you point out. BMWs have always been lighter through the extensive use of aluminum alloys and focused engineering. The latest models extensively use even lighter plastic materials to locate and support items like the fairing, instruments, and lighting modules.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for the thoughtful review.

The whole riding experience is greater than the sum of the performance figures of course but there isn't that much objective difference in performance figures when comparing the MCN review of the 2003 ST and the 2014 RT. The wet weight difference is 85 lbs full tank to full tank, the difference in 60 to zero braking distance is 1 foot, the 1/4 mile and 0 to 100 mph figures are about 1/10 and 1 second different respectively. Subjectively the riding experience is entirely different of course. 12 years forward does make a difference.
Here are links to MCN's published reviews for the '03 ST (story and stat chart) and '14 RT.

Their tests have the ST...
Faster by 5 mph
Slower 0-60 by .16 sec
Slower in 1/4 mile by .3 sec and 4 mph,
Slower 0-100 by .9 sec
Longer 60-0 by a foot
Higher torque by 0.4 lb-ft
Less hp by 6.7 ponies
Heavier (wet) by 107 lbs (ST 727, RT 620)

Those figures are pretty close, certainly within the margin of error of rider skill if the two bikes were at a drag strip. But there is an outlier: weight. As I mentioned earlier, published weights for these bikes are all over the map, but MCN actually weighs bikes "as tested" so I think we can trust their figures bike to bike. I'd wager the 604 lbs BMW lists for the RT on its website is for the unobtanium base model. Mine has every option package (it's equipped like MCN's test RT) so I'm not surprised it gained 16 lbs. Even still, it's over 100 pounds lighter than the ST, as tested. FWIW, the two bikes MCN tested are the same years as my ST and RT and factory equipped as my ST and RT are.

As Dave points out, the subjective riding experience is a different animal. I've ridden both bikes back-to-back and my seat-of-the-pants meter gives the RT a decided advantage, no contest. Perhaps it's amplified because the RT goes about its business feeling much lighter on its feet. The RT's superior power to weight ratio (ST 1:6.85, RT 1:5.50) may be the most telling stat of all...sort of like dancing with two ladies with similar skills, but one weighs substantially less.

Last edited:
I'd agree that the 6 cylinder on the K1600 is a boffo motor but if you compere the power to weight figures between the K1600 and the R1200RT you'd find that they are virtually identical.

My only nit to pick on the R1200 is that you need to stick premium fuel into it. Yeah I know, I've got the same requirement with my ST1300 but I see the price differential between regular grade and premium gas increasing quite a bit around my area lately.

This bike is on my short list whenever I do get around to getting another...
Come on Scott stop being cheap:duck: . I put Midgrade in the K16 & she runs just fine. Chuck ask about cost of ownership. On the R1200RT I don't see why it would cost anymore than the ST. On my K16 it's on par with the ST. Ya I know to get the valve check done at 18,000 cost around $600 ( and no I am not rich or have extra money to burn) but rest is the same as the ST. Some times you need to look at the joy of ownership.;)

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
A very real problem some of us, who would like to "upgrade" (regardless as to what) is getting rid of a high mileage ST. There is a plethora of great ST's, with relatively low mileage, for sale at for what seem to be low prices. Those of us with 100k + miles cannot give them away so we are doomed to ride them and see just how long they can go! Much as I would like to upgrade to a more modern bike, I just can't justify the cost, relative to the gain.. Now, if i win the lottery, or get as good at picking stocks as Padden, that would change things dramatically and the new RT would be at the top of the list.
Rod

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
If someone wants my 2003 ST1300 ABS for what I am asking, fine. If not, fine too. I will just ride it. It is still a great bike, I just want something smaller.
Sold the 2002 VFR 800 abs about a year ago, wish I still had it. I thought I was tired of it at the time, that is what I get for thinking. What a great bike that is!

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I took mine off the DOT placard on the headstock of my 2005 and the other off BMWs website. You don't trust the rags now do you?

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I took mine off the DOT placard on the headstock of my 2005 and the other off BMWs website. You don't trust the rags now do you?
BMW's website has the RT weighing 604 but MCN put their test bike on a scale and it weighed 620. I trust actual measurements.

Not interested in a pissing match.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
BMW's website has the RT weighing 604 but MCN put their test bike on a scale and it weighed 620. I trust actual measurements.

Not interested in a pissing match.
I trust the DOT placard on the headstock of my bike and this scale receipt my bike 1/2 mile from the gas station with bags on and bags off. Yes, I agree.

Top Bottom