Thoughts on my 2014 BMW R1200RT

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Dave the fact is the BMW R1200RT hauls more than the Honda ST1300.
Fill to full. Ride it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave the fact is the BMW R1200RT hauls more than the Honda ST1300.
Bob, that fact has never been in dispute. A quoted number for the ST1300 pieload was incorrect and I gave support for the correct figure. Honda's curb or wet weight for the ST has always been fairly accurate, 721 lbs non ABS and 730 for an ABS bike. The DOT placard on each and every bike frame gives the Gross Allowable Vehicle Weight. Subtract the weight of the bike and the rest is pieload, er, payload. MCN got it wrong in 2003 or else their test bike had less than 505KG/1111 lbs for the GAVW.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Bob, that fact has never been in dispute. A quoted number for the ST1300 pieload was incorrect and I gave support for the correct figure. Honda's curb or wet weight for the ST has always been fairly accurate, 721 lbs non ABS and 730 for an ABS bike. The DOT placard on each and every bike frame gives the Gross Allowable Vehicle Weight. Subtract the weight of the bike and the rest is pieload, er, payload. MCN got it wrong in 2003 or else their test bike had less than 505KG/1111 lbs for the GAVW.
Who cares? Really, who cares?
Mike

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
Scott. It has already been said but that is one great write up. I was at the national bike show for the UK in November and had a good look at all that was on offer. I like the BMW - having ridden several at work for years, but was a bit wary of the recent reliability issues. I settled on the similar looking and well equipped Triumph Trophy 1200 SE. It has all the bells and whistles and had I taken a test ride at the show, and liked it, I would have ridden away on one. However lack of a decent dealership coverage (only 2 in Scotland), the non availability of a demo bike and a salesman who was less than interested (I am in the fortunate position to be a cash buyer) have dampened my enthusiasm. My nearest BMW dealer is only a few miles away and will be getting a visit soon on the back of this report. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Scot,

Glad you are enjoying the new ride, it is a sweet machine. A few comments to your first post:
- Ride modes also alter ABS characteristics - dynamic frees everything up a bit for those inclined to push more spirited technique - Blue is faster ;-)
- Those customers who waited for the shock fix got $2500 AND a 6 month warranty extension
- The Kthunk works itself out, hardly ever experience it now at 18K+
- I've never experienced the alignment issues you did with the side panels, and I've been in there a bunch

For those interested in exploring a buyback deal in the mid atlantic area, I believe the dealership in Fredericksburg just took two more in from a dealer out west (Seattle?). Talk to the young sales guy, Greg, he rides one and knows the bike inside out. I bought mine from him, a stellar experience.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for those details, Morton. I edited my first post.

If there's a trick to the side panel alignment, I'd love to know. From what I hear, so would a lot of dealer service techs.

Greg will love the "young" description! :)

Last edited:

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
UUUmmmmmm.....
I guess I should "thank you" Bones????
I have an appointment............ ugh.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Nooooooo. not at alllllllllll your fault....... the review maybe, but not you!!
Looks like all that riding at -11 degrees and getting on the news may be impacting your judgment. :rolleyes:

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Looks like all that riding at -11 degrees and getting on the news may be impacting your judgment. :rolleyes:
Yeah, about the news spot... so glad for the FF helmet and the anonymity....
The ride part, -11 was the "official" temp cuz I couldn't find a sign any lower and though I *thought* my temp gauge broke, I learned it just wont' read lower than a certain temp and displays --. I was in much colder, btu I'll take the -11 ;)

I had a dream last night, I woke up and went to garage to verify it was just a dream......

Thanks Bones.:rolleyes:

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Scot,

Glad you are enjoying the new ride, it is a sweet machine. A few comments to your first post:
- Ride modes also alter ABS characteristics - dynamic frees everything up a bit for those inclined to push more spirited technique - Blue is faster ;-)
- Those customers who waited for the shock fix got $2500 AND a 6 month warranty extension
- The Kthunk works itself out, hardly ever experience it now at 18K+
- I've never experienced the alignment issues you did with the side panels, and I've been in there a bunch

For those interested in exploring a buyback deal in the mid atlantic area, I believe the dealership in Fredericksburg just took two more in from a dealer out west (Seattle?). Talk to the young sales guy, Greg, he rides one and knows the bike inside out. I bought mine from him, a stellar experience.
Morton, Bob's BMW in Jessup, Md. Has the bike I want. It is the only 1 without key less. Do U know any thing about this dealer. The site say #1 dealer in the Northeast? But, so is Hermy's.

Top Bottom