OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Took my Girly Bike out into the wild today. Trailer-ed it to the foothills and then rode along the South Platte River. Beautiful day today.

Attachments

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Took my Root Beer FJR down to SE Ohio for an event........ the roads down here are so flat straight and boring... what could I possibly be thinking!!

Congrats on the new birthday present, Ken!!

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Another happy man with a new bike. Lets see how many miles you put on it this month.

Congrats

Gerhard

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Took my Root Beer FJR down to SE Ohio for an event........ the roads down here are so flat straight and boring... what could I possibly be thinking!!
Hmmm.... not sure where in SE Ohio you are, but there are a lot of hilly twisties out there.... check out Hocking county area.... beautiful area!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Around Malta, OH are some seriously twisty roads, hills, etc. Malta is approx. 1.5 hrs southeast of Columbus, OH.
I've never done Tail Of The Dragon yet, but around Malta would be a great warm-up for it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Is snow there unusual for this time of year?
No, Snow is always a possibility in the city until about the end of May. Not likely but a possibility non the less. It the High Country, to about the middle of June. We have had late May snow storms quite a few years if my memory serves me correctly.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
(Monday)It is raining here in beautiful Colorado, so I decided to do the Valve Check today. I have been able to borrow the Yamaha valve adjusting tool (YM4106) from my local Yamaha dealer and found that I have both exhaust valves out of tolerance. It should be .13 to .17mm gap. Measurement came in a .10mm gap. I want to bring the gap to the center of the range. The present shim is 2.70 and 2.75 and I want a .15mm gap. I need a 2.65 mm and a 2.70 shim. shuffled the 2.70 shim now only need to buy the 2.65 shim @ 21 dollars from the dealer.

SAM_0636.jpg SAM_0637.jpg

(Tuesday)Just finished putting the Girly bike back together. Dealer had shims and traded me even for the correct shim. Picked it up this morning. All is well. The two Exhaust Valves were too tight out of spec at .10mm. Intakes were in Spec. Now the bike seems to start very easy with only one kick and very little force on the kick lever. All is well. O and it has stopped raining for a while.:)

SAM_0360.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Washed the dead bugs off...found out the FJR was red underneath...even waxed it...new front tar (BT30EvoGT) so gotta change oil and filter and ready to head out west and beyond......ff

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The Root Beer rocket is all freshened up with new tars, washed, oil change, etc. and will be loaded onto the trailer today...... to Spearfish, SD, then riding all the Big Sky country for the next three weeks (WY,MT, ID, WA, OR) and an FJR Red Lodge event...... been waiting for a repeat of my 2007 trip. It's been postponed three years.... it's gonna be great!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
IMG_20160615_140154[1].jpg

Well, not done yet but will soon be on the Super Tenere to hopefully last me the remainder of the year or close...

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
IMG_20160615_140154[1].jpg

Well, not done yet but will soon be on the Super Tenere to hopefully last me the remainder of the year or close...
One or two more day rides and a set of those PR4GTs will be mounted on my FJR for the trip to Spearfish and WESTOC. Got a set waiting in the basement.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Today the 17th of June the weather forecast is for a high of 93 in the city. Too Hot for me, got to head to the High Country. I had a couple of objectives that I wanted to accomplish with today?s ride. First, I needed to burn off some more rubber so I can mount a new set of tires for my trip to Spearfish next month. Second, I wanted to see if the construction on HI-way 77 (Tarryall Rd. ) was finished. And Third, I just wanted to GO RIDE. I left the house a 7am so as to get across town before the heavy Rush hour starts, and I wanted to get back early afternoon before the afternoon heat and evening rush hour. It seems lately like the rush hour is all day every day. I remember a time when one could cross the city of Denver at 7am with little or no traffic jams. I guess I am just showing my age.
Anyway, I headed out hi-way 285 across town and up into the mountains. 285 takes me all the way over Kenosha Pass and down into South Park. Just a few miles down lay the small hamlet of Jefferson. Here I stopped and gassed up and turned left on to Tarryall Rd. (HW77) which connects Jefferson with Lake George, 44 miles to the south. Along the route is Tarryall Reservoir. (I have been told there is good fishing there) Construction on 77 has been ongoing for about three years now as CDOT has been repaving the complete 44 miles in stages. The last stage of eight miles is being done now and I wanted to see how far along they are to completing it. As soon as I made the turn there was a sign that said 1 to 2 hour wait possible 32 miles.
Well I knew I was going to be back tracking as I was not going to be waiting 1 and a half hours for a pilot car to take me through. I did that during stage two of the project a couple of years ago with my DR650. A story to be told over a cold beer. Some of you might even remember that episode. The 32 miles that I did ride was/is beautiful pavement with high speed sweepers and gorgeous scenery. (See the pictures) So I took off down the road. The FJR just purred along wanting to go faster and faster. I had a hard time keep the speeds down as I also wanted to get some pictures along the way. Got down to where the pavement ended and turned to gravel. If I was riding the Wee 650 V-Strom, of mine, I would have continued, but the FeeJeR does not like gravel and I don?t need a lot of rock chips in the paint.
As I was turning around a fella in a pickup stopped and we chatted a bit. He told me that every hour a pilot car leads traffic through the construction zone of about 8 miles gravel and dirt. I will check it out later in the summer with the Wee Strom. But for now I am going to head back out and go over Guanella Pass (which is all paved as of last year) and down I-70 on home. Did about 225 miles in six hours today. Accomplished all three objectives. Might have one more day ride left on that Rear PR4GT tire before I have to change it. All in all another great day/ride in Gods Country.

See my FB page for the rest of the pictures. https://www.facebook.com/chuck.hende...80?ref=tn_tnmn

Attachments

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
... I left the house a 7am so as to get across town before the heavy Rush hour starts, and I wanted to get back early afternoon before the afternoon heat and evening rush hour. It seems lately like the rush hour is all day every day. I remember a time when one could cross the city of Denver at 7am with little or no traffic jams. I guess I am just showing my age.
Nothing to do with age... the Denver area continued to grow even during the recession--traffic load has gone up a lot. When not on travel, my commute time has gone up 50% some evenings and 20% most. I flew home early this morning--I left the airport at 7:15am and it took about 40 minutes to get to I-25 (on westbound I-70). Traffic is so heavy the last few years, and I've been caught in a couple multi-hour commutes, so I now take flights at odd hours to avoid driving across Denver during rush 'hour'. And all the traffic, even in the mountains detracts from my desire to ride... part of the reason I've no Yamaha pictures to post in this thread!
;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom