What did you do with your Yamaha today?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yeah, that doesn't seem right... Y.E.S. should pay for the rotors, pads and all the labor, since it was the warped rotors that caused this. Or at least the rotors and labor.
They won't cover brake pads under any condition and I can understand that. As long as I get the old ones back I can use them in a pinch so I'm not really out anything there, assuming I'd be replacing pads eventually anyway. New rotors out of pocket would be $500 or so (MSRP). My main beef is that they should pay the $89 labor charge too.

I received a customer satisfaction survey coincidentally but will wait until the job is done to fill it out. I'll make my impressions known.

-Jeff

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Jeff,

Wait a second...they aren't going to pay the labor? Are you kidding me? It takes longer to change the rotors than to change the pads....in every situation! Fight them on that one AND get your money back. Sheesh....fight them just on principle.

Honestly, if they are claiming the pads caused the problem, they are defective and should be covered under warranty....if they are claiming the rotors are the problem, then they should replace the pads because the defective rotors damaged the pads. If the engine failed and shot a piston out the top of it, they are going to make you replace everything that is "wearable" that the piston damaged? Really?

They should cover the whole job.

<D>

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Taking a morning Coffee break after pulling the Right Fork off the FJR. Fork Seal is leaking enough that it now needs to be replaced. Need to get it done before next week as I want to take the FJR to TEXSTOC. Was hoping it would be OK until next month, but NO.
Need to take the fork to the Yamaha shop as I don't have the proper tools to remove the seal and and reinstall it. If all goes according to plan, I will be reassembling the bike tomorrow. Test riding it on Monday and heading out to TEXSTOC on Wednesday.
Also found out the Yamaha Extended Service (YES) warranty does not cover fork seals.

View attachment 177965

Got the forks seals done and put the bike back together yesterday evening. Took the FeeJeR out for a 150 mile test Spin today. Temps were in the high 70's/ low 80's. Just a beautiful Colorado Fall Day..

View attachment 177966

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Well...she may not be an FJR - but she IS a Yamaha!

It was a very chilly morning here on Canada's southern coast at Windsor, ON - 4C or about 39 deg. F. At about 7:30 AM, I put on a shirt, jeans, leather jacket and medium-weight gauntlets and full-face helmet and foolishly set out on a 20 mile ride to the next town to have breakfast in a little diner that I like. At first, the sunny morning was crisp and pleasant but very soon, I was damned cold and realised that I really should have put on my thermal suit and used the heavier gloves for a ride today on my unfaired 1976 standard XS650C.

I know that I would have been much more comfortable on my big liquid cooled fully faired Honda ST1300 - but it just seemed like a "vintage" sort of a day to me... Oh well - I used to be young and foolish and now I'm old and foolish I guess.

Anyhow, I truly was the human popsicle when I got to the diner and that coffee sure felt good going down - but not nearly as good as the (I'm not kidding)4 people who stopped by my table to say how much they liked my "nice old bike" - which one lady said "sounded like a real motorcycle - not loud and obnoxious, but not like a blender".

So....this morning was indeed very cool - both literally and figuratively.

Keep those standards rollin'!

Pete
[FONT=&quot][h=4]Attached Files:[/h]
[/FONT]

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I changed the oil on the Super-T, bought then bike last June and just turned 25K. Gonna have to a valve clearance inspection soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Patted the FJR on the way out, then drove to my buddy's place....... helped him get some extra space in his garage..... lookie what jumped into the back of my truck! 2008 WR450F. Bill had one too many WR's as he had bought the latest version recently. You can see he's fighting back the tears. :crackup New adventures ahead (no enduros) and hoping to find some happy trails and dual sporting. New top end, doesn't need much of anything.

Attachments

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Got another new saddlebag emblem from Yamaha under warranty....hope they used new and improved glue....second warranty replacement...ff

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Took the FeeJeR out for a short ride up to Echo Lake, the other day, before the snows came. Winter has now set into the High Country.

E lake.jpg

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
can't tell from the pic, but I'm hoping the oil filter spins off without having to remove the skid plate. Or maybe you just remove that top section?

Speaking of removing oil filters, since I crashed my ST and don't have the crash bars in the way, I can remove the oil filter through the hole in the fairing where the crash bar used to be. No more removing/re-installing that lower gray belly pan, so the job takes a fraction of the time it used to.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
can't tell from the pic, but I'm hoping the oil filter spins off without having to remove the skid plate. Or maybe you just remove that top section?
5 bolts to drop the skid plate in order to change the filter. There may be enough room to do it with the plate in place, but I'd rather not have the resulting mess in the plate. The OEM plastic trim (hesitate to call it skid plate) had to be removed involving four fasteners, so not much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Working on a refresh/maintenance list for the WR. Stripped the plastic and the tank off, all I'll say is hope you never need a spark plug out in the field. My buddy recommended a valve check if I was anal, and it involves removing the engine. Could be a fun winter.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Originally Posted by MaxPete

Originally Posted by Smash
Excellent! I hope it's comfy. We're in Banff finishing up our honeymoon. Heading home on the KLRs tomorrow. Hitting some dirt and Lolo Pass of course. ;)

Banff - nice! Just north of there near Lake Louise is a place called the Num-TI-Jah Lodge (aka the Jimmy Simpson Lodge). It used to have nice rooms and an awesome restaurant with a view of a glacial lake and mountains. Very special indeed.

Anyhow - have a great time and ride sage!

Pete

Hi ALL:

I think it was about 5 months ago (when it was 100 deg. F here) I bought a First Gear Thermal Riding suit from ST Owners member Smash, and today on a whim, I put it on for the first time and went for a little toot on my vintage 1976 Yamaha XS650C. I needed gas and heck, I just felt like it - even though it's dark and just above freezing outside. . Beside, I'm Canadian so I'm supposed to be impervious to the cold.... My wife said that I looked like the Michelin Man - but what the he!!

Anyhow, I just wanted to let say that the bike ran like a top and the suit fitted just fine and it worked fantastic to keep me warm and the wind out...with a couple of caveats. Specifically, there are NO provisions for having a pee-pee or getting into ones pants pockets once the suit is on and sealed up. That is of course perfect from a thermal standpoint, but not so good from a paying-for-fuel standpoint.

As a result, I learned three things this evening:

1) one must remember to put ones boots on BEFORE putting on the suit.
2) one must remember to put ones wallet and phone in the thermal suit pockets BEFORE putting on the suit.
3) I need much warmer gloves to ride in this type of weather. I will search for some electrically heated ones.

Any recommendations for electrically heated gloves?

As a consequence of 2) - I had to perform quite the hula dance at the gas station to get at my money, during which there was a guy quizzing me on the 40 year old Yamaha.

If he'd been a girl, I would have asked him to reach into my pocket to dig out my wallet.

Anyhow, thanks again for the suit Smash- it is excellent and precisely as advertised and made my Yamaha ride today just perfect!

Pete

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wow, working on a valve check/adj today a little... what a pain!... I really miss the ST1300 now. You don't realize how spoiled you are.. You would think the frame was welded around the engine as getting the valve cover off is ridiculously difficult. I'd say it's worth $600 to have the dealer mess with this thing. Love the bike, but not at all user friendly when it comes to this particular maintenance item. I may do this one and then trade it in on another V4 before the next check..

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Just ordered a new set of tires for the FJR as the GT4 rear tire has about an inch slick swath after around 11,000. Been good tires but going to give the Pirelli's a shot for the heck of it. Also bought her some gifts for Christmas in a Touring Shield, a Touring seat to tie her over until I can send off for a new Good seat.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I've had the new-to-me WR450 torn down for preventative maintenance/cleanup, ready for spring but the list is long... new fluids, valve check, sprockets and chain, tires both ends, water pump seal, and a general tidying up. I got all winter but hope to clean all this up in the next two or three weeks as time allows.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Put on the new Pirelli's and like them so far though it was only for a 30 mile ride or so. Will report back as I get the chance to break them in.

Top Bottom