HHmm, the sweet stench of antifreeze.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
OK SO when I bought the bike in March and rode it, it would smell of cooking antifreeze when I stopped at stop signs or red lights. Or when I got off. I asked back then and was told this is "usual" for the ST in the cold. I've always had 3 bars so just kept an eye on things. Summer rolls around and the smell at stops is gone. Well here I am riding in cold temps again and she's stinking it up again. I am really not looking forward to pulling plastics but if I must, I must. I have some farkles to add anyway so if I'm going to strip it down, might as well do it all in one swoop. Tank is down to 2 bars so I should be able to take it off vs propping it up.

Is there a tech article I just cannot seem to find for the 1300 on where I need to look and the process of getting it all done? Or are the posts in this subforum what I need to go through and just read read read? I know... I'm impatient and don't want/like downtime.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
You do not NEED to remove the tank to do service under the air box. It does make it easier, but not needed. If you do remove the tank REPLACE the large fuel hose and the clamps. Most clamps can be tightened from the front after removing the Tupperware and radiator. Some of my clamps were orientated in such a way that I had to pull the Throttle Bodies. No U-Joint drives would have gotten the job done. The ones accessible from the front are usually the reason for the leaking fluid.

Good luck. It takes time.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Due to some unfortunate clocking of the clamps on my ST, I had to remove the throttle bodies and the radiator to tighten them all. Once you resign yourself to doing the job, it's really not that big a deal, just time consuming, especially those $%^# snorkels. The tupperware printouts are real useful the first time through. Since I can't leave well enough alone, I also synched the TBs while I was under there.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
IIRC the gauge needs to be one bar flashing to be sure that all of the fuel is out of the upper tank. Can anyone confirm this?

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
IIRC the gauge needs to be one bar flashing to be sure that all of the fuel is out of the upper tank. Can anyone confirm this?
I can confirm that the upper tank is empty with one bar flashing for MY BIKE. When I did my coolant hoses May of 2013 I rode it around till I got to one bar flashing. When I removed the tank a very small amount of fuel was left in the tank.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Confirmed.

1 bar (blinking bar) means the thermistor in the lower tank is exposed--fuel is definitely out of the upper tank.

The fuel is below the bottom of stroke of the level sensor in the upper tank at 2 bars showing on the gas gage. I have opened mine with 2 bars showing (after riding 30+ miles with 2 bars showing) and had only dribbles of gas in the fuel tank joint hose.

Top Bottom