Radiator cap geyser

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It would be normal that coolant flushes through the bypass (a ~2mm bore at the rearward side of the radiator neck, but the vid doesn't show that) while the thermostat is till closed.
If you start the engine without blipping the throttle (just let it idle along), that narrow coolant jet is clearly visible.

If it always gives a full flow/not increases while the coolant warms up, likely that the coolant thermo is stuck in open...

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
That does look normal to me. I have seen that with my system. There is enough force of coolant just from the bypass hole, when the engine is reved, to cause an overflow. If the thermostat is stuck open, the temp gauge will not rise very high at all in the cold weather. If, once the cap is on, you get normal readings from the gauge, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Normal. Don't rev the engine with the radiator cap off.

You could let the engine run to check that the thermostat opens when the coolant gets hot enough.

John

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Normal. Don't rev the engine with the radiator cap off.

You could let the engine run to check that the thermostat opens when the coolant gets hot enough.

John
I think John should have added - replace the cap BEFORE shutting down the engine, or you could have a serious geyser from boiling coolant.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100
Thanks for the feedback. Comforting that it seems normal. I will look for the 2 mm bore to verify. And i have a new genuine honda cap :biker:

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #

+1 . Been using both ( thermostat & cap ) for the last two years without any problems. And you can't beat the price.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks for the feedback. Comforting that it seems normal. I will look for the 2 mm bore to verify. And i have a new genuine honda cap :biker:
You won't be able to see that hole in the thermostat, unless you disassemble the housing, which you don't need to do, because there is nothing wrong.;)

Another question is - did you use the correct coolant?

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100
Here we don't have the fancy OAT, HOAT.. So I simply use oldfashioned ethylenglycol (1,2 ethandiol) should be OK as I understand.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Here we don't have the fancy OAT, HOAT.. So I simply use oldfashioned ethylenglycol (1,2 ethandiol) should be OK as I understand.
Can't comment on OATs or HOATs ?? but it is important to NOT use any coolant that contains silicates as cleaning agents, as they will clean your water pump seal right outta there.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...it is important to NOT use any coolant that contains silicates as cleaning agents...
+1...
If the label does not explicitly say [SILICATE FREE] (or [silikat fri] in Denmark), don't use the sludge on the ST...

Top Bottom