Strange clock power drain.

Bike
St1100, XV1600
Hi All, after leaving one of my pan's standing for a couple of weeks I went to start it but almost flat battery, not very unusual but fitting on another battery I noticed a very small spark when connecting the earth cable so showing me something was drawing power, it's then i noticed the clock was staying on with the ignition switched off, I cant say I have ever noticed that before, so I took the clock fuse out which stopped the power drain and now the clock is working normally e.g switching on and off with the ignition but without the clock fuse in place, everything else is working fine ....... just a strange curiosity.

OP
OP
Dinosaurbuilder
Bike
St1100, XV1600
Strange, my other pans the clock switches off with the ignition, so do you have a fault as I did or are the meant to stay on and my others have a fault ...confusing but i'm sure some one knows.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
AFAIK the American market ST1100 clock stays on all the time, sounds like the Pan clock is switched?

Which bike are you referring to, 1100 or 1300, I notice you own both.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
On USA models the clock is unswitched and its light is switched. Colored wiring schematics available in the AOW. Dunno about non-USA versions.

John

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Dunno about non-USA versions.
Totally identical in this issue... digits always on, illumination switched with P and LOW (RHS switch pod)
That clock has 4 wires: ground & permanent for the clock, ground & switched for the bulb... no internal battery that would enable it keeping the settings with all power off.

OP
OP
Dinosaurbuilder
Bike
St1100, XV1600
AFAIK the American market ST1100 clock stays on all the time, sounds like the Pan clock is switched?

Which bike are you referring to, 1100 or 1300, I notice you own both.
Its an ST1100, my other 1100's the clocks switch off with the ignition.... but who needs a clock anyway it's not a problem just curiosity.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Can you adjust the time with the ignition off? My clock displays the time all the time but needs the ignition on to adjust and have the backlight on. (I have a 1990ST1100 Canadian model)

Bike
ST1100
there are two supplies to the clock, the switched one is on at ign on, (bright display), on ign off, the permanent feed supplies a low current to keep the clock running and shows a very dim display. There is no internal battery, on disconnection (on a four way plug and separate earth) the whole thing goes off. Sounds like there is an internal fault in the clock itself, which is not switching it over to low power on ign off.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
time can only be set with ign on, this stops tampering by passing idiots when its parked up with (hopefully) ign off!!
Totally off topic, but the wife and I really enjoyed our visit to your town, "Aidensfield" and Scripp's Garage, during our travels in Heartbeat country on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway a few years ago.:)

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
... something was drawing power; it's then I noticed the clock was staying on with the ignition switched off; I can't say I have ever noticed that before, so I took the clock fuse out ....
With the clock fuse in, one power wire for the clock is, as far as I know, connected directly to the battery, with no switch intervening. That keeps the clock's digits displaying the time but does not allow adjusting the clock with the ignition off. You can check for normal electrical clock draw by:
Turning off the ignition;
Disconnecting one battery cable;
Measuring the "leakage current" by connecting the leads of your electric meter (set on DC amperes or milli amperes), one to the vacant battery terminal, and the other to the disconnected battery cable end.

Normal "leakage" with the fuse installed is about 1.1 milli ampere.
Normal leakage with the clock fuse out is down around 2 or 3 micro amperes even on an ABS model; it is basically too small to measure on a Plain Pan.

Have you told us yet whether there are other add-on devices also connected to your battery?

(I think all of the Pan/ST1100 service manuals talk about measuring leakage current.)

Strange, my other pans, the clock switches off with the ignition, so … are they meant to stay on and my others have a fault…?

Its an ST1100; my other 1100s, the clocks switch off with the ignition....
On those other Pans, is the time shown when the ignition is turned on the correct time?

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
this stops tampering by passing idiots when its parked
I don't know how common that is but that's just a perk. The LCD and clock circuit draw next to nothing but illuminating it (and the rest of the panel) would kill the battery and there's really not much need to read the clock with the ignition off. With a good battery the bike can sit more a couple of months maybe more and still start. Illuminate the clock with the ignition off and you're down to weeks.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
even if it was "off" it would still draw to keep time correctly. The issue using a Lithium battery is the bike always have a draw on them, which, even if used daily isn't that big an issue, until it gets cold, then the little draw will kill the battery enough to not start even over night. so I moved the LiFePO over to the CB400, because when it is off, it's totally off.

Bike
92 ST1100
I don't know how common that is but that's just a perk. The LCD and clock circuit draw next to nothing but illuminating it (and the rest of the panel) would kill the battery and there's really not much need to read the clock with the ignition off. With a good battery the bike can sit more a couple of months maybe more and still start. Illuminate the clock with the ignition off and you're down to weeks.
My STeed has sat unridden for 3-6months at a time........just cause, and have had no starting/charging issues. Do not own/use battery tenders either. A sidenote: takes approx. 3yrs. and clock will be 4min. fast......not bad considering what its been exposed to over 23yrs.;).

Top Bottom