dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
SportTouring-Owners.com

We ride and riding makes us feel good. Let's leave it at that.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
:)
I just pulled the trigger on a 14 R1200RT water cooled with 523 miles from Max BMW in Ny. O lordy. What have I done now . Blaming it on the board and the review recently offered by Bones
Congratulations ...enjoy that ride!

Bike
2006 ST
I pulled the trigger on a 2012 two tone 1200RT in September. I love the cruise control and the BMW breaks. Still have my 06ST Bumble Bee though I'm considering selling. Like many of you guys I just might keep the ST as it's still a very smooth machine with many farkel's and 86K miles.
The 14/15 RT's do look good!

Limadelta

Surveyor 1953
Bike
02 ST1100
I have been following the RT posts here and I've got to agree...this is one fine running motorcycle. 17,500 miles on it and it will be going to British Columbia at the end of the month and then to Michigan in July. Clearwater lights and a few other farkles on this are fine tuning it to the way I like to ride.

My 02 ST1100 just turned 91,000 miles and my 05 Road Glide is also over 91,000 miles. I think I like to ride :)

The ST is here for friends that come to visit and ride. That bike is still as smooth as glass, but the RT offers a suspension that must be experienced to be believed. Really. No more one-up, two-up, luggage, etc. shenanigans to go through.

See you on the open road.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I have to add my name to the new BMW r1200rt riders. Drank the coolaid and bought a used 2014 light blue r1200rt factory bike. Still getting used to the beemer style but overall my impressions are good.

Differences between the bmw and the ST. The bmw is a much more a sophisticated, purposeful sport touring machine, in almost all facets except the great power curve and smoothness of the st. Sorry Honda, get with it.

1. Flyby wire throttle, still getting used to.
2. Computer control of different modes of driving , rail , dynamic ,normal.
3. esa suspension that auto adjust. single rider, rider with bags, rider with bags. And auto adjust to riding conditions.
4. Garmin Nav v that is controllable by the wonder wheel on the bars. Nice large screen that is easy to read that can be linked to a smart phone for traffic and other alerts. Changes time on the bike when you cross time zones. Fits in prewired compartment.
5. Heated seats and grips controllable by the wonder wheel.
6. Auto Locking and unlocking compartments and alarm.
7. Bmw halo lights.
8. All other lighting led.
9. Top-case with built in lights and led brake light.
10. Great adjustable windshield and wind protection.
11. Great ergonomics right out of the box.
12. Hill assist brakes that hold the bike on a hill.
13. Shift assist that allows clutch less shifting that at first I did not like but after awhile if found quite useful.
14. Better hand grip for the passenger . (more forward than the st.) My wife says it is both quiet on the back and right now comfortable. She has not gone more that 50 miles on the bike.
15. Excellent radio system,xm, fm radio (Bluetooth intercom if you want it. ) all readable on the screen. I interfaced the bike with my autocom spa, j&m cb2003, and radar. Mainly because of the cb.
16. Better locking system on the saddle bags. You do not need to unlock with a key every time, and to remove the bags is a separate lever and lock.
17. Built in screen info that moves to the navigator v (if you have it.) outside temp, oil level, tire pressure, trip, etc, etc. Way too much info.
18. 6 speed transmission.
19. Great handling on par with my racetech suspension on the st.
20. Cruise control, finally!!! I did not know what I was missing.
21. Bike is cool. no more hot tank or hot seat.
22. Also looks great without the saddle bags and top box.
23. Brake and clutch levers are both adjustable.
24. Two built in power outlets one up front and one at the rear for passenger. Also a usb powered outlet in the front compartment.
25. Dash screen is adjustable for a couple of angles to suit rider.

There are some items that take some getting used to.

1. The bike feels much wider than the st. For lane splitting this takes some time getting used to.
2. St has a much quieter engine. BMW has more of a low frequency growl that takes me back to cruiser days. Still a very smooth engine.
3. More shifting on the bmw, engine wants to be worked a little, but there is still plenty of power there, just coming out at a different rate.
4. Not nearly the tip over protection that the st has, looks like I will have to buy some crash bars or at the least some engine covers.$$
5. No highway wings, I would have to buy the guards to have a place to attach hi-way pegs.$$
6. Gear shift is a little cramped, I will try to adjust. Nice thing is it is adjustable to some degree.
7. Temp gage is not rock solid like the st. Partial water cooled and air cooled. So if your sitting still you will watch the gauge climb.
8. Expensive, Because of all the gizmos it can be distracting, Need to focus on driving instead.
9. Would have been nice if the navigator v locked as well as everything else.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
Roadriderg -

Thanks for the comparison!

I learned some things. I especially appreciate the "cons" as so many people become a walking billboard for the bike they just bought and leave the negatives out.

I have not seen a pic of this new version without bags and top box. Will look for one.

I've always been leery of BMW because of reliability concerns, but given all the great things I've heard about this model I am starting to consider BMW.

Thanks Again

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I am finding my RT a joy to ride. Glad you like yours. I see you got the fastest color, too...Quartz Blue. :)

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Roadriderg -

Thanks for the comparison!

I learned some things. I especially appreciate the "cons" as so many people become a walking billboard for the bike they just bought and leave the negatives out.

I have not seen a pic of this new version without bags and top box. Will look for one.

I've always been leery of BMW because of reliability concerns, but given all the great things I've heard about this model I am starting to consider BMW.

Thanks Again

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I will take a pic of the bike with out the bags, really looks like a sport bike.

I plan on doing most of my own wrenching,I just like to do that.

Because of all the electronics there are a few more things that can go wrong, I hope not!

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Congrats. Nice lookin' bike. Wish I could afford a new water cooled RT.
I was lucky a good used one came up,there are not too many on the market.

But in theory (my humble opinion) because of bmw's fly and ride financing which is three years low payment then balloon payment. There may then be a few on the market soon.

Top Bottom