Glacier National Park to Seattle

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
Hi everyone,
I am planning a trip from Utah to Glacier National Park in Aug 2015. I would like to go from Glacier National Park north into Canada, ride West in Canada on my way to Seattle Washington. Has anyone completed a ride in this area? Do you have any suggestions on the roads to ensure I take, or avoid at all costs?

I would like to stay lower in Canada, heading as far north as Vernon but not much further. Not looking to spend more than a couple days in Canada but looking at to see some amazing sights.

If I have put this in the wrong forum, please feel free to move.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I would suggest going to Banff and then take Kootenay Parkway (#93) when we took it I thought it was one of the best rides of my life. Nelson is kind of neat town full of hippies and marijuana farmers, good restaurants and a scenic ride, including a free ferry if you take highway 3A. I think there are lots of great roads there.

Gerhard

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
A couple years ago I rode from Seattle to Banff. Crossed into Canada near Sumas, WA. Then followed CA1 to 5 to Kamloops for the night. Next day, continued on CA1 to Banff. Good roads. Scenic ride.

Bike
2005 ST
If you like twisties then you definitely want to take 3a north out of Creston up to the ferry terminal. Catch the ferry across to Balfour and head north to Kaslo . My favorite road in all of my travels is the highway 31a from Kaslo to New Denver . From New Denver head to Nakusp and then follow highway 6 back down south until you find another ferry . I think it`s called Needles or Farquar . One or the other . If you catch that ferry across to the west side , you`ll be on the road that takes you through Lumbey to Vernon . Those are all awesome roads to ride . All the ferries are free. Check it out . You won`t be sorry .

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
You want to see some amazing sites you need to go just a bit further north in my opinion. You're almost there anyway! The Ice-fields Highway (93) from Banff to Jasper is quite amazing. Take an extra day somehow and do it! It's worth it.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
You want to see some amazing sites you need to go just a bit further north in my opinion. You're almost there anyway! The Ice-fields Highway (93) from Banff to Jasper is quite amazing. Take an extra day somehow and do it! It's worth it.
:plus1: If not all the way to Jasper, ride at least as far as Columbia Ice Field. The scenery is simply stunning.

Styles

Bike
2006 ST1300
I was through there last summer. You'll love it. Just be careful of free range horses and cattle on Hwy 17 between Glacier and Waterton. I know you want to stay south but the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper is pretty special.
Have fun.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Google maps won't do parts of this route, so here is the ideal:

Logan Pass to Babb. Babb to Pincher Creek via Chief Mountain Road (Hwy 17). Pincher Creek to Longview via Hwy 22 (gas up in Longview)
Longview to Hwy #1 (TransCanada), west to Banff, west to Lake Louise (optional Icefields Parkway - see other comments)
West to Golden and revel stoke, south to Nakusp to Fauquier to Hwy 6 to Vernon. THIS HWY 6 STRETCH IF FANTASTIC!!!!!

From Vernon you could do a north or southern route, I'll let others help ......

Happy riding!

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Last year we went from Glacier (road to the sun) into Canada and stayed the night in Radium Springs Alberta. Banuff then West to Merritt BC Where we stayed the night after visiting a MC museum just north of there. South to Vancouver WA. Sorry I'm not very good with routes and road numbers. I just go where Judy tells me (zumo named Judy) we have a love hate relationship.
Dave

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Logan Pass to Babb. Babb to Pincher Creek via Chief Mountain Road (Hwy 17). Pincher Creek to Longview via Hwy 22 (gas up in Longview)
If you happen to be around Pincher Creek, a little bit west of there on hwy 3 is something called the Frank slide (google it). As you approach the slide field from a considerable distance away you'll be saying to yourself "what is that", because it just doesn't look right. When you get to the actual site its amazing to see just how big the rockslide was.

Bike
ST1300
:plus1: If not all the way to Jasper, ride at least as far as Columbia Ice Field. The scenery is simply stunning.

Styles
Just past the Icefields, looking south. It is worth the ride, and the park fee to get in...

Attachments

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Google maps won't do parts of this route, so here is the ideal:

Longview to Hwy #1 (TransCanada), west to Banff, west to Lake Louise (optional Icefields Parkway - see other comments)
West to Golden and revel stoke, south to Nakusp to Fauquier to Hwy 6 to Vernon. THIS HWY 6 STRETCH IF FANTASTIC!!!!!

From Vernon you could do a north or southern route, I'll let others help ......

Happy riding!
Great suggestions. I would add that you should get to Hiway #1, from Longview, via 541 and 40 (probably implied by Kott, but not stated).

Rod

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Some people have said to be careful in Browning MT on the way to Glacier.
I never stopped there for the night so never had any problems.
Just a heads up .....

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
...From Vernon you could do a north or southern route, I'll let others help ......
If you chose a southern route consider Highway 97 down into Washington then Highway 20 over the North Cascades. Most Washington riders would consider the North Cascades Highway a must-ride. Great riding and great scenery.

Bike
1984 Shadow 700
I agree, the 3A rout is a wonderful rout to take... I love CA roads and the scenery... I honestly cant say I have been on a bad ride in BC...

What time of year are you thinking?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Some people have said to be careful in Browning MT on the way to Glacier.
I never stopped there for the night so never had any problems.
Just a heads up .....
+1 Rode through there about 9 at night, stopped at the grocery store and was nervous about leaving the bike.

OP
OP
markandmelly
Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
Awesome, Thank you so much everyone for the great suggestions. I am going to have to due some homework on all these routes and timelines. I am excited.
I am tentatively planning to go around the first couple weeks in Aug 2015. Many of you are mentioning ice fields. Is there a better or worse time of year to see them? I know, I know....don't ride when it is snowing....but is Aug too late or early to get the full experience?
I know Glacier NP we have to wait for the snow to melt and be removed to get on the higher roads, and I wanted to hit the nice summer weather (as much as we can rely on the almanac for help). That's why I am looking at first few weeks of Aug.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Ohh... also if you are doing Going to the Sun road... early start. By midday you will have lots of traffic to contend with ( besides just gravel and grime).

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
First few weeks in August will be fine with weather, you may also want to keep in mind it's the 75th Anniversary of Sturgis. Could be lots of additional bikes on the road.

Top Bottom