Ultimate tool/safety kit?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I made a tool roll-up that has all the sizes of box and open end wrenches that are required to service the St1100/1300, shock adjuster and spark plug wrenches, assortment of hex keys. Test light. I also carry a larger phillips screwdriver as well as a crimp/wire stripper tool. In my manual bag I have a selection of fuses, empty mini zip lock bags to hold screws that I take off from tupperware. I also have made-up jumper cables to replace any section of wire that may get burned out. ( I have a 28amp alternator, but I did a major overhaul on connections this summer)
I carry an LED flashlight which I store by the gas cap. It doesn't interfere with fueling, very easy to get to when needed.
The roll-up and manual as well as crimp tool and screwdriver live in the tail piece. The bicycle "T"handle has a 8mm,10mm,12mm socket set and that stays in the glove box.
Unknown.jpgUnknown-1.jpgUnknown-2.jpg
The zip lock bags and zip ties are a must have for me...what am I saying .... I have used every tool at one time or another.....
I also have spare fuses and a diode for my neutral light switch

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What's indispensable?
Master Card... ;-)
What's unnecessary?
The tool kit... :cool:

Seriously, whet I started riding my first ST in the early 90ies I too built a "big" tool-kit, cut quality ring-spanners to replace the "flimsy" ones supplied in the OEM kit, ground down the cut ends to fit into the handle/tube, packed a 1/4" ratchet kit with selected nuts and Allen bits, spare valve stems, wires, connectors, spark-plugs, zip-ties, duct-tape, etc, etc, etc...
Since never needing it over the years I simply cut down on ballast and went back to the OEM kit, a Victorinox (Swiss made, like a Leatherman, till current day only used once to remove a Pozi screw from the rear tire), 1~2 tire-cans (now replaced with a Slime-Kit) and a small bulb-set (and when heading to UK or Ireland 4 tie-downs for the ferry and some white electrical tape to block the RHS upward kick of the headlight beams...)

I just rely on really decent regular service and proper "pre-flight checks" during preparations for a tour, where items like brake-pads or tires get addressed if they don't appear in condition of coping with the planned trip/distance... the reliability of the ST is unbeatable...

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
My .02 worth, a flat tire repair kit with a portable air pump. I believe Stop & Go has one.

Top Bottom