This Was Pitiful But Fun

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
At this time of the year, those of us in the Midwest get our kicks where we can. I spent some time today sorting and discarding USB micro chargers that are not compatible with some of my devices. Along the way, I charged my Sena and my Garmin that has Bluetooth and an mp3 player. The rest of the evening, I sat in my family room with my helmet on, listening to country tunes and drinking beer. I think I need to ride.

Greg

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Simple pleasures, in lieu of actual riding.

Yet one more reason the midwest is a great place to be FROM. (I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs and my wife is from a small town in northern Illinois as well; for years we would go back at Christmas to visit the parents. EVERY year we did that I was reminded why it was that I hate midwestern winters with such a passion.)

You have given me an idea, though- need to try my earbuds inside my helmet and see whether they might make an acceptable substitute for earplugs, at least on longer trips.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I live about an hour south of you and woke up to a blizzard which was supposed to be just a dusting. I need to get out to the garage and check the valves in the bike but with it being cold outside, I don't have any desire to even look at the bike.

I think I'm going to sort through my USB cables, God knows I have a ton of them curled up like a rats nest next to the computer. I'll pass on putting the helmet on while sitting in the living room though.

Brian

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
It is too bad that your helmet does not have a virtual heads up display. We could record our rides on the GoPro and then watch them and drink beer in the winter.

Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
Yeah - I get it I was walking around the house with my helmet on, with the vid cam on just to make sure everything was working. Fam thought I was nuts!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The rest of the evening, I sat in my family room with my helmet on, listening to country tunes and drinking beer. I think I need to ride.

Greg
I've sorta done that... makes me smile! :D

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yet one more reason the midwest is a great place to be FROM. (I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs and my wife is from a small town in northern Illinois as well; for years we would go back at Christmas to visit the parents. EVERY year we did that I was reminded why it was that I hate midwestern winters with such a passion.)
So are the winters in Maryland much warmer and snow-free?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
So are the winters in Maryland much warmer and snow-free?
They do seem, as a general rule, to be milder than what I grew up on. That said, I understand from Pop, who still lives within a few miles of the ancestral estate, that they've been a lot milder there in the past 25+ years as well.

Winter here is definitely NOT snow-free (it's snowing now, in fact) but we don't seem to get as much snow as a GENERAL rule (with the notable exception that we often seem to get LARGE amounts in a single event, usually late in the winter as moisture-laden air comes up from the Gulf then bangs into chilly air over the north Atlantic. Can you say "nor-easter", boys and girls?)

In all, after having lived in both places for roughly equal stretches of time, I'd say the mid-Atlantic is vaguely​ milder than the midwest, and nowhere near as prone to bitter cold, which really makes me miserable.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
The rest of the evening, I sat in my family room with my helmet on, listening to country tunes and drinking beer. I think I need to ride.
You NEED help. I think WE will be primed for a good time on the 12th and 13th of February.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
well Mondo looks like some of us have done the same thing, just don't come on next week telling us you were doing circles on the ST in the garage..:D

Stew

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
In Raleigh, it was sunny and warm-ish so far this week. 39F when I rode to work and 41F on the ride home today. Loving the Oxfords I installed. I'm a little spoiled to be able to bike pretty much year round. Summer sux sometimes.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Top Bottom