170/60-17 Rear Tire ??

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I have run through 4 rear Avons Sports. All 4 were plugged and run their full tread life. I also replaced 2 Storms due to punctures that were not repairable. One of them punctured by a 1/4-20 screw, hex head first. 3 sticky worms held good enough to get to a dealer for a new tire. I consider all my problems as bad luck/road hazard not an Avon problem. I was running 18-20K miles a year so the tires didn't last long.

Yes, my insurance is paid in full and includes towing. Thanks for your concerns.

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Your choice, of course, Jim. But it is advisable to read through the various threads on Avon tire issues here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?503-Avon

:)
BakerBoy:

Thanks for the link. I read ( most of ) the posts. I guess only an oil thread could get folks all riled-up more than a tire thread. But I realize that a tire failure could be problematic more than an engine failure ( unless the engine locks up and causes an instantaneous slide that can't be recovered from ! ).

I had no problem with the first Ultra2 Storm ( except for that darn tiny nail I picked up ) that had over 10K miles on it. I think any tire can potentially have a manufacturing defect. And it seems like most folks were having problems back in 2010, and not recently. And maybe heat or low pressure had someting to do with the cause, even IF the de-lamination occurred at the same location on the tire.

So what to do ?? Stop riding, because of the risks involved ?? NO WAY !!!

I feel comfortable with the Storms. Maybe I'll try an Avon 3D X-M ( Road Hazard Warranty included ) next. And I'm definitely going to check my clothes closet and under my bed tonight, before I hit the sack !! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom