KLR650

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Picked up a 09 KLR650. 3400 miles, mostly stock. Seems like a fairly clean bike. Haven't had a chance to put many miles on it as of yet.

image.jpg

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
I have a friend that just traded his in on a new one. his old one had 99k miles. he rode that darn thing everywhere
looks like a fun new toy. enjoy and remember the ground is further away than what you are use to

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Picked up a 09 KLR650. 3400 miles, mostly stock. Seems like a fairly clean bike. Haven't had a chance to put many miles on it as of yet.

image.jpg
The KLRs are great bikes and a Do Anything bike, go almost anywhere bike. I had a 97 model for ten years and put close to 30k miles on it during that time. loaded it up and rode it from Texas to Colorado and back a few times. It is almost as bullet prove as the DR650. Wife talked me into selling it. That lasted three months and wound up with a DR650. Be careful and safe...as been said "It is further to the ground" View attachment 161158 View attachment 161159 View attachment 161160

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
You and Mellow should set up a 6 month bike swap program. Nice looking KLR. If you decide to put some hard bags on it consider the solobox bags. I sure like mine and the price was reasonable.

Raymond

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Hope you enjoy your KLR.
:plus1: with Raymond on the Solobox (I can send you contact info). Put a set on my Wee. Took a month to get them, but good solid, powder coated inside & out, aluminum, Panniers!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I love my KLR - took a 4K ride on it last summer from my home in CA to Montana, Wyoming and back. Get the Dohickey replaced asap if it hasn't been done and watch the oil level if you ride above 5K rpm on the highway as some KLR's will burn oil at higher revs. I put a 685 kit on mine (resolves the oil burning) and this mod along with a Leo Vince exhaust made an already fun bike a much more capable tourer I even have managed to ride mine on some tight single track which surprised a few riding companions riding KTM's!!
It's a bit of a big beast for serious dirt work but dirt logging roads and trails are not much of a problem. The 685 kit also makes the engine run much smoother due to its lighter weight.

Have fun!!

Dan

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I love my 2011 KLR, got it cheap about a year ago all farkled out. I will try to save you some pain:

Check your oil level at every fill up! These things are known to use oil at various levels, especially with extended riding at RPMs over 5k. 08s and some 09s are the worst.

If the bike still has the stock, slosh battery, get rid of it and get this:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX15L-Battery.html?Category_Code=kawasaki-kl650a-klr-battery

Also, do the doohickey upgrade ASAP using the Eagle Mike lever and torsion spring. No matter what you may hear, 2008+ KLRs require this. I have the tools, PM me if you want to borrow for postage.

Lube, with waterproof grease, in order of importance:
Unitrack bolt, unitrack bearings, swingarm bearings, R wheel and driven hub bearings, steering hub bearings.

Torque to spec all fasteners. The ones on the frame will be loose, I promise. Apply blue Loctite to all frame fasteners. Footpeg bolts torque to 18 ft/lbs (NOT 31 ft/lbs as per the shop manual). Safety wire on these is advised.

Clean and oil the air filter.
Check valves at 5k miles, then every 15k miles.
Change oil every 2k miles, filter every other oil change.

Suspension is OK to start with, but you will want to upgrade eventually. The front end is very soft.

If you off road, you will crash. Prepare for it with skid plate, racks, brush guards and crash bars. Mine are Happy Trails with Packrat pannier racks. You may need a low profile oil drain plug, depending on your skid plate.

Stock tires and seat are just awful.
Tires are all a compromise. Street/dirt 30/70 D606s are good, but expensive. 80/20 Shinko 705s are cheap and good. What I run.
I like Corbin seats.

Get yourself a shop manual but beware, there are errors in it!

For even more than you ever wanted to know about a KLR:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/index.php

Last edited:

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Funny thing about the gravel road ST as some of my friends called my KLR. They are harder to pick up than an ST1100 despite that the ST is twice as heavy. The ST has worse hand protection- go figure. My two favorite bikes out of the 40+ I've owned and ridden almost everything. ;-)

FWIW, here's some wiring information for Gen1: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uha92pqkxq4eoaw/AABwFh5AIevN4dlJeZUitdjsa?dl=0

I plan to do a similar project for the Gen2.

Bike
2006 ST
They are a blast, put 22k on a 07 in a little over two seasons. Great ergonomics for a 6'er, I ran a Cee Baily with a Lip which felt fine even at 75 mph, with a 16tooth front. The only complaint I had (beside the dismal mpg) is really when loaded up with camping gear there is mimimal passing power.
Sold it and went to a 650 VStrom. "Same thing only different". :D
Have fun!

OP
OP
Smallville

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Sorry for the delayed response. Trying to get our carpentry business going.

Thanks for all the great comments and thoughts. I have not had a chance to ride much, but what little I have rode it, it seems to be fun ride. Most of my off road stuff will be the gravel roads around here. Not many public off road parks or trails in this part of the country.

Bike
ST1300A '10
a great bike, I've had a couple of them. Since they've been made since basically the Carter Administration after market bits and the online knowledge base are vast. I woukd echo one of the earlier comments tho, Loctite is your friend. You don't need to Loctite every bolt, only the ones holding bits that you want to hang on to (classic thumper issue). Ural's oddly tend to have the same tendency despite being opposed twins. Those tho make use of god's own Loctite, rust, which tends to hold things in place just fine :)

Bike
'05 ST1300A
I've also got my ST and an '08 KLR in the garage. I added the Tusk panniers from Rocky Mountain ATV. they were on backorder for 5 months, but once I finally got them and installed them I've been extremely happy with them. My only complaint on the KLR is lack of suspension and lack of power. After being on the ST, the KLR can feel like riding a tractor some times

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I've also got my ST and an '08 KLR in the garage. I added the Tusk panniers from Rocky Mountain ATV. they were on backorder for 5 months, but once I finally got them and installed them I've been extremely happy with them. My only complaint on the KLR is lack of suspension and lack of power. After being on the ST, the KLR can feel like riding a tractor some times
I installed the progressive shock with the remote preload adjuster and added Ricor intimidator valves to the front forks. Instead of adding stiffer front springs I drilled the fork caps and installed schrader air valves so I can add or relieve air pressure as needed. These mods totally changed the handling and the adjustment I now have is nice for the times I load the bike for long distance rides. You should also look into the 685 kit - it really helps add some grunt especially when freeway riding and you can add one tooth to the counter sprocket which makes freeway riding more pleasant. The 685 kit totally solves oil usage issues and the extra torque combines with a much smoother running engine due to the lighter forged piston is a real plus.

Last edited:

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I have Pack-Rat racks and Pelican 1550 cases with a Give top box on my 08 and just love it. I'm running a CD Moab Rear Shock and progressive front springs with Race Tech Gold Cartridge Emulator Valves. I bought the bike new and I've spent as much on it as i gave for it. It's called KLR Fever and it can be Fatal.

Top Bottom