KLR650

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Interesting how people can be so sure but obviously wrong since they aren't agreeing with my impressions. ;-)

Kidding, of course. I do find the ST11 easier to lift than a KLR650. Some of it will be body geometry I suppose but the point, from my perspective, is that the ST11 isn't a big problem to lift. I do find that wrapping a bungee cord around the front brake lever and having the transmission in gear makes a huge difference. If the bike 'walks" due to a wheel rolling, that makes it very challenging to get past the 45 degree point.

I will say that I prefer having a KLR fall to an ST.

Unfortunately that compels me to bore you with my favorite BMW versus KLR experience. Some friends & I had come over from the Harrison Lake East FSR into the Nahatlatch and came out to have lunch at the Charles Hotel in Boston Bar, BC. We parked out front, to the east of a group of dual sports which looked to be getting ready to set off.

As I walked past, a guy standing with a 650 BMW dual sport made a rude comment to the effect that the KLR was a cheap piece of junk. Since we were face to face and he could have had no idea what medication I as supposed to be taking and wasn't, I was a bit surprised at his level of risk taking.

I turned to him and said, "It's better than having a girl's bike I'd be afraid to take off road." He was momentarily speechless and some of his buddies started to chuckle, then responded, "It will do anything your bike will do and better!"

I turned, walked back to the KLR, put one foot on the seat and pushed it over. "CRASH!!!" In that dry air it sounded like a pallet load of sheet metal roofing hitting the ground from about 20 feet. People at the gas stations across the highway turned to see what was the noise.

I walked back to him mildly retorted, "OK, your turn!"

He didn't know whether to poop or wind his watch. His mouth opened and closed several times while he made odd sounds, then he grabbed his gloves in one hand, shoved his helmet on, no strap, piled on his bike and roared off. His buddies were doubled over slapping their thighs and howling with laughter.

Walked back and stood the KLR back onto the side stand and had about the best tasting Chinese food I've ever eaten. Must admit, I wouldn't have pushed that BMW over either.
:rofl1:

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
<snipped> I turned, walked back to the KLR, put one foot on the seat and pushed it over. "CRASH!!!" In that dry air it sounded like a pallet load of sheet metal roofing hitting the ground from about 20 feet. People at the gas stations across the highway turned to see what was the noise.

I walked back to him mildly retorted, "OK, your turn!"

He didn't know whether to poop or wind his watch. His mouth opened and closed several times while he made odd sounds, then he grabbed his gloves in one hand, shoved his helmet on, no strap, piled on his bike and roared off. His buddies were doubled over slapping their thighs and howling with laughter.
I believed everything you wrote until "and roared off." BMW F650's roar?

Just kidding. Great story

OP
OP
Smallville

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
I miss my KLR. I traded it to go back to a wing. Thinking that the wife would ride with me. Having not been the case over the last few months, the wing very well may go up for sale and a KLR or similar may be in my future.

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
... They are harder to pick up than an ST1100 despite that the ST is twice as heavy...
Why is that?!?

Forget about my question. Already asked it once... Dementia, what can I tell you...

Hm... What am I doing here?!?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom