Need some advice on a KTM (or other) enduro type bike

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I've posted a similar question over on TWT but thought you guys would also have some good advice.

I have no experience with KTM's so I'm hoping to get some advice on a 2009 530XC-W for my 16 year old son (and me
). Majority of use would be trails, woods, mountain roads and a little street riding.

How reliable are they? How often do they need the piston/valves done? What should I look for when purchasing? Any must have mods? Other KTM's or brands to recommend for that type of riding?

Also, seems KTM offers many of their XC-W models in both 2 and 4-stroke. I "think" I want the 4-stroke for what I need but should I look at the 2-stroke versions? Is there that much more maintenance on the 2-stroke? Again, will not be doing any racing or mx stuff. Am also considering the 250 or 300 XC-W.

TIA... any and all advice much appreciated!

Paul

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I own and have owned several KTM's. My recommendation is to buy something else unless you are racing. KTM's have a level of performance that foofoo bikes can't come close to. They also require a racing level of service. I'm ok with that and know I have to put in the time. They are fairly easy to work on. If you want superior performance then get a KTM but don't expect DRZ service intervals.
I also think a 530 would be a huge handful for a 16 year old unless he's been racing. That's too much bike for him unless he's currently an A racer in my opinion.

Bike
92 ST1100
I own and have owned several KTM's. My recommendation is to buy something else unless you are racing. KTM's have a level of performance that foofoo bikes can't come close to. They also require a racing level of service. I'm ok with that and know I have to put in the time. They are fairly easy to work on. If you want superior performance then get a KTM but don't expect DRZ service intervals.
I also think a 530 would be a huge handful for a 16 year old unless he's been racing. That's too much bike for him unless he's currently an A racer in my opinion.
+1! As a veteran 30+yr. moto-x racer, trials and single-trac, KTM is at the 'top'..........also at the top for maint.cost;).

Also have to say a 530cc is WAY to much scoot, unless he's had lots of serious off-road riding time;).

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
He (and you) would have way more fun on a 250 enduro bike if mostly off road is your goal....any Japanese brand'll do....2 cents......ff

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I disagree about the cost/maintenance factor mentioned. I'm on my second 250. I had an 08 I sold with over 300hrs on it and only had to replace the piston every 100hrs. Never touched the valves/head and had the original clutch when I sold it. I'm an A rider and don't race much anymore but I don't ride it any easier.

As for the 530...unless your 16yo is a big boy and has quite a bit of dirt experience I wouldn't recommend a 530. You would be better off with a KLX or WR250 if you really want to street register it. If you really want a KTM and want something bigger consider a newer KTM350-EXC

Here's a post from www.ktmtalk.com about his 09 530. http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?t=502710&highlight=migration

I have 20000 miles on that very bike. Based upon your size/weight you need to get the suspension redone. It will need springs fore and aft and if Javier were still in the country I would know where to send it. Do your research but that is the first thing you should focus on. The 09 does not have oil transfer issues. PERIOD Sure, there are some guys who would be happy to merge your oil system but I would ride the bike and wait on that possibility in the far distant future. I enjoy putting Tufoil in my motor side, something you can't do with a merged system. I got 14k miles from my second set of rings in a stock piston and it was only at 2% leakdown when I re-did everything due to oil usages that got bad after 12k miles on that second set of rings. Its a great bike! I am keeping mine but if I was going to race it.....I would buy one of these pronto!

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for all the input... it's all very helpful to me, and hopefully others. Please continue.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Guys, thank you for all the posts... really helps out. I was very hesitant about a 500cc bike for my son but wanted to flesh it out. He's a good rider but not great so I told him a 500 was out of the picture. We'll concentrate on a 250 or so. I'm really liking what I've read about the WR250... would like to get some more info on it... will research here and maybe start a new thread. WR250 comments are welcome! Thanks again.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have owned a KTM 525 EXC for many years - solid reliable bikes. My son had a KTM 300 two stroke that was a really fun bike. I would not worry too much about reliability on a KTM. The first year fuel injected bikes could be a little finicky as I had a friend with one that I worked on quite a lot. Lots of weird hard starting problems that would come and go.

Dan

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
I have been riding enduro bikes for 25+ years. A 250/300 is the correct recommendation for a 16 year old.

I would recommend a 4 stroke as they are less of a hassle to use. The oil/gas mixing and the limited range for day riding is a problem w/ the 2 strokes. On the other hand a 2 stroke is lighter.

I currently have an 04 Honda CRF250x. It is light, has excellent handling & plenty of power, especially if you are riding at/near sea level. If you are looking for a Honda, get one 2007 or later. The 04, 05 & 06's had valve issues & are expensive to repair.AMHIK!

The Yamaha WR250 is very reliable & an excellent choice. I would also look at the Kawasaki KLX 300. Lots of power, reliable & they sit a little lower than the Honda or Yamaha.

I would personally not consider a KTM. They are not as conservatively designed & seem to have more maintenance issues. Others may disagree. The KTM's are more expensive to repair.

If you are considering some older options....the Honda XR250 is also an excellent choice. Air cooled & bulletproof. Very little to damage when you fall.

If you do buy a water cooled bike, make sure you get radiator guards. I also like to add a skid plate & bark busters.

I don't know the type of terrain you will be riding. I ride in Colorado & Utah.....lots of hard pack & rocks. I use a Dunlop GEOMAX medium tire up front & a trials tire in the rear.

Hope this helps. I have had a wonderful time w/ my son riding dirt bikes over the years & I hope you will too!

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I just sold a WR250R after about a year of ownership. It is an awesome bike. I just wasn't riding it. It doesn't have a whole lot of low end for slow trail riding but somehow I don't think a 16 year old would care about that, I wouldn't have at 16. If I was in the market for another dual sport I would be looking for another one. As with any bike they have their quirks but nothing major. Check out the WR250 forum.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I would personally not consider a KTM. They are not as conservatively designed & seem to have more maintenance issues. Others may disagree. The KTM's are more expensive to repair.

I've owned many Honda's (3 CR250's, 2 CRF250R's, and one CRF450R) so I have some knowledge of parts cost between the two. I've also owned 2 KTM250's. I spent no more on parts for the KTM than I did on any Honda. I think people that have not owned one have this belief from heresay that parts are more expensive.
I can say I didn't have any valve issues with any of the CRF250R's that I owned. I did change valve springs at every piston change because the springs were only $5 a piece and lap the exhaust valves as they were steel unlike the titanium intake valves which you can't lap. The 250/450 KTM 4-strokes never had any valve issues like the Honda's.
So, if anything there's less maintenance on a KTM. Like I stated in my other post I had over 300hrs (around 8K miles IIRC) on my other KTM250 and never changed anything other than pistons and rings, motorwise.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
....Like I stated in my other post I had over 300hrs (around 8K miles IIRC) on my other KTM250 and never changed anything other than pistons and rings, motorwise.
Is this on a pure racing bike?
If not, I don't think changing pistons every 100 hrs would be called minimal.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Paul,
Since you mentioned street riding also, I recommend you log onto the Adventure Rider forum ( http://advrider.com/forums/ ). There is a wealth of information there as well as sub-forums for different locations.

Good luck and ride safe,
I've done just that. Joined there a while back but didn't think of it. Thanks for the reminder!

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Is this on a pure racing bike?
If not, I don't think changing pistons every 100 hrs would be called minimal.

It's ridden hard. Not plonking along trails and cruising down the road. Very minimal road, only for transfer sections. Over the miles traveled average speed is probably around 24mph. I could probably go 200hrs between changes easily, but $250 a yr for piece of mind is worth it for me when I'm miles out in the middle of nowhere.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
So 4800 miles on a piston is acceptable?

By that interval, my old tech air-cooled sloppy tolerance BMW would be on it's 24th set of pistons.
So I'm 23 to the good!!!
:)

Top Bottom