Rubber torsion suspension axle

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'm new to this technology. Looking over the design it seems like a good idea.

But for those that have used...
Have you ever wore one out? or heard of them needing refurbishment?
Outside of gross overload any problems?
Any maintenance to them besides the usual wheel bearings?

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Had them on a popup camper and put one on the 1 wheel trailer I built to pull behind the ST. No issues with either.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
I've got a cargo trailer with two 6,000# torsional axles. I've exceeded that badly numerous times on a 300 mile run >70 mph. My issue was failing Goodyear trailer tires, they often bubbled and popped under the load after 50 miles or so.
The torsional axle itself is a robust design, I just grease the bearings at the wheels every 5,000 miles or so and don't even think about the axles, they seem like new after 12-13 years.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
IMO, they will outlast all the moving parts of regular leaf spring suspension, i.e. several nylon bushings, shackles and equalizers (if tandem). Put bearing buddies on the hubs and your ready for some miles.

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
Have a german Knott torsion axle in my 300 lbs micro airstream.
No problems pulling it 10.000 km til today.
Here in Germany it is the Standard Suspension in nearly every trailer below 3.5 tons !
Tom

KNOTT

Last edited:
I had a pop up camper and ran it many k miles and hard forest roads, now have a light weight 5th wheel with tandem torsion axels used the same way. 0 issues to date and like said before 0 maintenance. Cannot say I ever grossly overloaded them.

Bike
2k9 ST1300
Just be careful not to put all the weight on one wheel. It will break specially with close to maximum load like when jumping a bord walk.

Beside that, no moving m?tal part noise and easy height adjustment on some model. Had few trailer and no problem at all. No more regular axel for me...

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate camper has torsion axles. It's a 2007 model and I've had no issues with the axles. On some lighter trailers they can be a rather harsh ride but when properly packed they are great.

As mentioned by others I have had an issue with tires though. The previous owner used Wally world tires that were under inflated at about 28 lbs. I just left them that way (at the time I had forgotten why that is bad) when I picked up the camper in Florida and pulling it home to Iowa. All the tires (came with 3, one was a spare) had a single bald spot that was soft. I had a blowout between Mobile and Biloxi so limped into Biloxi to buy 2 more at Wally world since I knew they had them and didn't want to spend all day looking for a better place. By the time I got home, driving very conservatively, the new tires also showed the same bald spot that was starting to bubble. Wally world gave me a refund on all the tires and I went to Northern Tool and bought tires with a higher load/speed rating. Remembering the reason for not using such a low pressure I put the tires to 70lbs psi, or near max listed on the tire. Many boat trailer owners will tell you to do the same if you don't want a blowout. My tires now still look like new even though I've pulled the camper through 3 seasons of STOC and rally events, over 3500 miles.

Top Bottom