BoosterPlug - Any good?

TPadden

Tom Padden
I see a "BoosterPlug" for sale on eBay. It is basically a temperature sensor that over-rides the stock unit and gives a lower temp to the ECU so the ST with a closed loop system will run richer.

Anybody tried this product?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121535106856?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The plug does what it says it does, the question is: does your Honda ST need it?

There was no problem with my 06 ST running lean, my 10 BMW F800 ST was a very different case, it slightly surged, ran hot, and popped like crazy on deceleration. The Booster plug got rid of all that and noticably transformed it's ridability.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Just as I thought...but it ain't gonna happen, my ST is pretty well tuned for all riding conditions I've encountered. Sounds like everybody agrees. Thanks for the confirmations.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd much rather have one the other way around. Mine has always suffered in the gas mileage anytime the temps are below 70 degrees, even worse below 40. I've always wished I could fool it warmer lean it out and get better mileage. Up to 50 many times in the summer but hardly ever over 40 in the cold of winter. I know it "richens" up because the cool air has more oxygen and can make more power. I don't want more power, I'd like to get my 45 mpg at 75mph in the winter too!

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Mine has always suffered in the gas mileage anytime the temps are below 70 degrees, even worse below 40.
Raymond, maybe your thermostat is sticking open? When I first got my ST it got poor mileage (mid 30's) and I kept reading about everyone getting better mileage (mid 40's) and I discovered that my thermostat was sticking partially open. That caused the engine to run a bit cooler than normal and, even though I would get three bars on the coolant temp. gauge (eventually), the coolant wasn't up to optimum temperature and the ECU responded by running richer, giving me poor gas mileage. Once I installed a new thermostat my mileage went up significantly.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Dave-That's an interesting observation about the T-stat. I bet mine is partially open with 3 bars because my mpg is also low in colder weather. That said, I really like to lift the front wheel on a 600# behemoth so I'm sticking with the rich condition!

Bike
ST1300
I'd be interested to read updates and experiences on this! I'll be installing my booster plug next Saturday if all goes well.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
That said, I really like to lift the front wheel on a 600# behemoth so I'm sticking with the rich condition!
:yes: I'm right there with you... daily! :D

and if I recall correctly I think it's about 720lbs wet.

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
BoosterPlug - any experience?

Has anyone tried this ECU farkle? It's the BoosterPlug as found on ebay; the seller is "Boosterplug." I found a positive review (BMW install) on Web Bike World. My '03 ST1300 has an annoyingly abrupt/jerky on-off throttle response, but otherwise seems OK. This device works by enriching the mixture in a linear fashion by 6%. The Web Bike World review indicated a 3 mpg improvement in fuel mileage, which seems backwards, no? $150.

JOE in IL

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Re: BoosterPlug - any experience?

I don't have one so I can not provide any feedback but you can have a look here for a related thread.

There is one forum member here who I think has one. May be you ask him about it. See this thread.

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS

Thanks, A.S. -- you're a better searcher than I.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

This device is just a resistor that fools the ECU into thinking that the engine is running at a lower temperature that it is. The ECU will enriched the fuel mixture at lower temperatures. Some possible problems will be catalytic converter issues due to richer mixture and possibly worse fuel economy. Not sure why a richer mixture would improve fuel economy so that is confusing to me. I see way more down side to this device than upside.

The devices are sold for automobiles as well and marketed on Ebay as some kind of miracle device with outrageous claim. Just my .02

Dan

Bike
ST1300
I've got one in my 1300 for a few months now. Booster plug is a tad more than 'just a resistor'. It has its own inlet temp sensor, and the resistance value it reports to the ECU is not linear with temperature. It'll enrichen the mixture by max. 8%, which is no way enough to damage a catalytic converter since these Honda engines are running very lean in the factory setting. You DO get a better throttle response, a bit more grunt at the rear wheel and a somewhat deeper sound from the exhausts. You will sadly also notice a marginal increase in fuel consumption.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Catalytic converters work when the air fuel ratio is 14.7 to 1. The oxygen sensors are the feed back to the ecu to determine mixture. If you run richer you will put out more pollutants and eventually damage the converter.

Bike
ST1300
Yep, but the standard mixture in our Pans is leaner than the (chemically optimal) 14.7 to 1. All of course to meet environmental specs, which will probably indeed not be fully met anymore after installing a Plug. The Plug just nibbles away some of that margin.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Yep, but the standard mixture in our Pans is leaner than the (chemically optimal) 14.7 to 1. All of course to meet environmental specs, which will probably indeed not be fully met anymore after installing a Plug. The Plug just nibbles away some of that margin.
I've used a Booster plug on a couple bikes and it does what it says - cures a lean mapping problem. All modern FI bikes are mapped at the very edge of lean mixture; if that causes your bike to surge or have an overly "sensitive" throttle response it will fix it. If your bike doesn't have a problem you don't need it.

My post is almost a word for word repost from a year ago ..... guess my opinion hasn't changed for a change!

The plug does what it says it does, the question is: does your Honda ST need it?

There was no problem with my 06 ST running lean, my 10 BMW F800 ST was a very different case, it slightly surged, ran hot, and popped like crazy on deceleration. The Booster plug got rid of all that and noticably transformed it's ridability.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st1300
Ive had booster plugs on 3 bmws 800gs 1200gs along with r1150rt , it made a massive difference on the 800 cured the on off throttle and was better allround same with the 1200 , now the r1150rt was rubbish when it was hot it was a royal pain in the butt trying to get it to start after stopping , having to let the bike cool right down , so looking at trying to find the problem i had removed it and went out to try it , as i had done the normal checks replacing spark plugs etc still no fix , rode it to normal temp rode home turned it off went to start it , and it started did it 4 or 5 more times no problem , plugged the booster in and it wouldnt start , i contacted them and it was replace but was still the same , so works great on some rubbish on others

Top Bottom