970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well it sounds like you have heard lots of good advise and have made the right choice to get it taken care of. Good luck.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Quite frankly I wasn't very comfortable with the Dr. theyassigned me, I believe his diagnosis is correct but he simply treated me like a # and wasn't very interested in my hobbies and how surgery might affect them. I had already decided if I get this done it was going to be with someone I felt comfortable with and took the time to explain the possible short and long term affects.
I can't tell you how important it is to have a doc you feel comfortable with. You need to have someone who will spend the time to answer all your questions and concerns. More and more, in today's cash flow medical system where time management seems to be more important than the patient, it's hard to find doctors who will do more than grunt after the initial appointment. My current doctor is great in this regard. The two who preceded him sucked. I figure if someone is fixing to cut on me and cause me and my insurance company to spend one heck of a lot of money, I'm entitled to ask any and all questions I feel like.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Fali, I'm so glad you have decided to go ahead with the surgery. When I got totaled on my ST a year ago October and broke my ribs/scaphoid, the doc that was treating me for my 3 broken ribs said he would have surgery on the hand. Another doc said he believed he could get it to heal by putting a cast on. Well, after 3 different casts and 4 months later it still wasn't healed. I had to have surgery anyway and took almost a year for it to somewhat heal. Now my right hand will never be the same but still useable.
As far as finding a doc you are comfortable with, very important. My hand doc is the best. Took all the time I needed to explain everything.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Just saw this, Fali. When you first described what happened and the ensuing pain in your shoulder, I had a feeling that's what they were going to tell you.
Good decision to have it fixed asap. Good luck!

Patty

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Good on ya Fali. Git er done. My daughter waited until the end of the soccer season to have her shoulder repaired instead of having it done shortly after the injury. It's still not right after 5 years and she was not able to continue playing.

Greg

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The wife will go in for her torn cuff surgery tomorrow. On her ride back from California last September her rotator cuff became very painful. When we got back she saw an orthopedist and following a MRI found it was mostly torn and she had bone spurs that caused much of the damage. Hopefully it goes well, she wants to ride the Cam Am again.

Hope you find a fine doctor, get fit fixed, and continue to enjoy riding.

BluesRider

Rick
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I've had rotator cuff repair surgery on both shoulders from wear and tear playing ice hockey my whole life. My left one was partially torn and I had it repaired in 2006. The recovery from that one took about 3 months and its close to 100% mobile and pain free now. In 2008 I tore my right shoulder. That one was much worse and the MRI showed a complete tear and retraction. After the surgery the doctor said it would take 9 to get full mobility back, and 12 months before I could go back to playing hockey. He was right it did take a whole year before I had full strength and about 90% mobility which is as good as it got. I still have pain in that one when doing certain exercises. In both cases I had the surgery not only so I could go back to playing hockey, but because I couldn't sleep. As soon as I laid down the pain kicked in so I had no choice. I will tell you with the first few weeks after the surgery are not going to be fun, so be prepared. So to answer your question it was about 3 months before I could ride after the first surgery and probably 6 months after the second before I was semi-comfortable riding, but I probably should have waited at least 9. Still. I'd go with what the doctor recommends and hopefully you have a faster recovery than I did with the second one.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I recommend getting a Tens Unit. Look it up on Ebay as you can get them for about $35.00.

The electrical stimulation will help with the blood flow to the affected area. I've been using one on my herniated discs when they flare up with great results.

Just don't put it on your temple, don't ask how I know that.

Brian

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Glad you are getting it taken care of Fali. See you as good as new in the near future. No pain no gain! Do your rehab!

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Good for you in getting it fixed.

Here is what you can look forward to, I had an injury that was pretty much identical to yours, and caused the same way in the gym.

I had the surgery.

It will take a good long time to heal.

The pain from the surgery can be described as like being hit in the shoulder with a Louisville slugger bat by a large man.

In order to repair a tear, most times they have to drill holes in the bone to suture the torn tendon in. The bone bleeds and when it heals that holds it in place.

After being immobilized to heal your shoulder could seize up and become frozen or partially frozen, mine did.

The surgeon who did my shoulder repair cut my deltoid muscle horizontally across the grain to get access to the repair area.

What he should have done is cut with the length of the muscle and separated the fibres to get where he needed to go.

As a result, I have a scar depression in that muscle and a permanent weakness there that will never go away.

No amount of physical therapy or workouts will ever change that.

The shoulder is now pain free, but still has a limited range of motion, and my days in the gym are basically over when it comes to shoulder chest and upper body work.

My other shoulder is showing signs of trouble now, probably from my years as a welder-tradesman.

Good luck, I hope you do better than me.

Larry

Bike
2010 ST1300
Good for you in getting it fixed.

Here is what you can look forward to, I had an injury that was pretty much identical to yours, and caused the same way in the gym.

I had the surgery.

It will take a good long time to heal.

The pain from the surgery can be described as like being hit in the shoulder with a Louisville slugger bat by a large man.

In order to repair a tear, most times they have to drill holes in the bone to suture the torn tendon in. The bone bleeds and when it heals that holds it in place.

After being immobilized to heal your shoulder could seize up and become frozen or partially frozen, mine did.

The surgeon who did my shoulder repair cut my deltoid muscle horizontally across the grain to get access to the repair area.

What he should have done is cut with the length of the muscle and separated the fibres to get where he needed to go.

As a result, I have a scar depression in that muscle and a permanent weakness there that will never go away.

No amount of physical therapy or workouts will ever change that.

The shoulder is now pain free, but still has a limited range of motion, and my days in the gym are basically over when it comes to shoulder chest and upper body work.

My other shoulder is showing signs of trouble now, probably from my years as a welder-tradesman.

Good luck, I hope you do better than me.

Larry
Larry,
I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. My doc once told me that two people can have the same symptoms, the same problem, and have the same operation with vastly different outcomes. Add variously skilled medical professionals (not only the surgeon) to the mix and everything becomes even more unpredictable.

In an earlier post I suggested finding the best surgeon for the job possible and said not all are created equal. Unfortunately, we don't always have the luxury of being able to choose among several docs - there may only be one available. There are a lot of us in the trades with injuries that cannot/will not be fixed.

Take care of your other shoulder.

Bike
2006 ST1300
[QUOTE;1824598]Did my left 15 years ago, did not get surgery, now have pain reaching behind to pull a jacket sleve off and limited movement....get her fixed....dont wait.[/QUOTE]

This is about how I am. I damaged both shoulders, but my left is by far the worse. Too many years of working with my arms over my head and lifting heavy parts up there. When I had insurance the Dr. didn't want to fix it...he kept putting it off. Rehab helped some but wasn't a cure. Now it hurts from the back of my left shoulder up into the side of my neck at times. Very weak in that arm and limited on lifting. Now I have no insurance so I'm just living with it.

If you have the chance to get it fixed...do it!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
+ however many others on finding a good surgeon. My wife is a nurse and worked on an orthopedic wing of a local hospital. She knew which doctors had good results and those with less stellar results. Ask friends and associates who have access to that same information.

I've had surgeries on both shoulders, one a minor tear and the other a major one. Both times I also had AC joint decompression as well. The first surgery on the minor tear left me with no limitations, and I resumed rock climbing and swimming with no limitations. Recovery was about 4 months. The second surgery was as a result of a motorcycle crash and there was never any doubt I had to have surgery. I couldn't raise my right hand above waist height. Had to wait a month for the swelling to go down. Then 1 month in a sling and 3-4 more months of physical therapy before I was released to go back to work as a policeman. I was probably at 70% at that time and I've worked back up to 90% strength and flexibility.

Good to hear you're going through with the surgery. Based on my experience, you can be back riding 5 months or a little less. Good luck - the therapy after is VERY important. Don't skimp on that

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I met with my new surgeon today! OMG a night and day difference from my last Dr.! I had been sitting in the little room for about 20 min. When he came in and explained he was running a little late because he had a couple patients that would require a little extra time. Told me I could go back out into the main waiting room where there was more space or stay in the examin room. I said I was fine and engrossed in a magazine article, he then asked if I needed anything, bottle of water, soft drink, etc. NEVER had a Dr. make sure I was OK because they were running late!
When he finally arrived he was extremely detailed, went over my X-Rays and MRI in step by step detail with a rubber shoulder model for visual explanation. Let me ask all the questions I wanted.
Bottom line is I have a severe rupture of two of my rotator cuff tendons, with a 3.5 cm separation and a couple small tears. Not good! He was surprised at my level of activity over the last 6 weeks and indicated that might be helpful in my recovery. He said I was doing great at 58 and could be his model patient! I assured him I would do anything he suggested and do whatever it took to get back to a active lifestyle. Part of the surgery will be accomplished arthroscopically but attaching the tendon will require a 2-3 inch incision.
Surgery scheduled for 2/24. Wish me luck and perserverance!

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Good luck. I hope the outcome is favorable and you are on the mend quickly. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and sending positive vibes.
Mike

v8-7

Site Supporter
Good luck with the surgery Fali, and good luck with the "wall walks" if you don't know what that is, you will soon learn !

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Good luck with the surgery Fali, and good luck with the "wall walks" if you don't know what that is, you will soon learn !
I was so looking forward to riding down 3/10 for the cruise install clinic and enjoy some really warm weather! Guess I'll have to wait:(

Top Bottom