Torn and Detached Rotator Cuff

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Good luck Fali. He sounds like the doctor that did the surgery on my scaphoid. Couldn't have found a better doc. Hoping same for you.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Good luck Fali. I hope your recovery goes without a hitch!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Great that you found a doctor you have confidence in....kinda like finding a good mechanic.....you should be able to bowhunt this fall...good luck....ff

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Hire a neighborhood kid to shovel your driveway-- give the shoulder a break.
I live in Middle TN, I think in almost 40 years I've shoveled the driveway twice, the side walk at work once, and my steps a few times ;). Although I wish it would snow enough so we can out and play and build a decent snowman with the granddaughters.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I was so looking forward to riding down 3/10 for the cruise install clinic and enjoy some really warm weather! Guess I'll have to wait:(
Fali, I was holding a cruise install clinic yesterday, but with all the ice, I was the only one attending. :D The unheated garage limits me to about an hour at a time, but I'm getting there. If mine works, we'll get yours done while your recovering from surgery. Good luck with the surgery, and maybe the recovery will be quick.

John and Janis.

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Fali, I was holding a cruise install clinic yesterday, but with all the ice, I was the only one attending. :D The unheated garage limits me to about an hour at a time, but I'm getting there. If mine works, we'll get yours done while your recovering from surgery. Good luck with the surgery, and maybe the recovery will be quick.

John and Janis.
Thanks for the offer John, I'll probably take you up on it! Maybe it will be much warmer when we work on mine!

I had rotator cuff surgery in December, 2011. I did the damage putting my little granddaughter, with car seat, into the car. Although I immediately knew something happened, I ignored the pain for the next few months. When the pain got bad enough that I couldn't find a position that would let me sleep, I decided on surgery. Surgery was no problem until the pain killer wore off. I begin rehab the next week and continued it at their facility for about 6 months. I continued the exercises at home and am still faithfully doing them. I believe it's good preventative medicine for avoiding having to do it again. During the first 3 months after surgery, I couldn't do much of anything that required any shoulder movement. Doctor wanted me to initially lift nothing heavier than a small soup can. After about 6 months, I could do some light lifting and movement was much less painful. It took about a year before I didn't think about it much, unless I was going to lift something heavier. After about 18 months, it was pretty much back to normal. Since I live in Minnesota, riding motorcycle during the first few months wasn't an issue. As I recall, I begin riding again about four months after surgery. Didn't even think about putting the ST1300 on the center stand and figured that if I ever dropped it, I would just get some help. Fortunately that never happened.
Although there was pain during rehab., the first few months, I never regretted getting the surgery done. The shoulder sometimes gets a little tender after exercise, but it has never been a problem for me.
Wish you good luck with whatever you decide.
Gary

Bruski

R.I.P. 2020/10/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300A
Fali, good luck with the surgery. It looks like you have found the right Dr. His work, a good therapist and you approaching rehab like another athletic endeavor should lead to a short recovery. Hope to see you at Bob's memorial event if Colleen's situation will allow me to make it.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I live in Middle TN, I think in almost 40 years I've shoveled the driveway twice, the side walk at work once, and my steps a few times ;). Although I wish it would snow enough so we can out and play and build a decent snowman with the granddaughters.
So you escaped the meteorological carnage yesterday? Sounded from the weather reports that the mayhem was pretty generally distributed, and I saw at least one map that might as well have had a bull's eye on Murfreesboro.

And just because you don't shovel doesn't mean you aren't supposed to... :D

Hope the shoulder thing works out well, and fast.

Bike
GL1800
Dr. Pagnani did my left shoulder and it is doing great. Probably the best in Nashville. I hurt my right shoulder at work and he is not on their list, so I too am going to TOA. My appointment was cancelled on Monday due to the ice storm, but the MRI showed an old tear and a new tear, according to my Doctor. If you have a choice, you might want to consider Dr. Pagnani. He has done some big time athletes in New York and Nashville and he has a very strict protocol for physical therapy.

Bike
92 ST1100
Hi Indian Express,
Glad your getting shoulder taken care of......now and not later. Had a chronic dis-locating shoulder for decades. Surgury resoled it. Most importantly as I'm sure you know is the re-hab, not only for mobility but staves off any future posibility of artheritis. Mine was done 25yrs. prior without any issues.... as of yet.

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Well I'm one week removed from surgery. I met with my Dr yesterday and had my first PT visit this morning. He explained to me that I had the surgery at the right time, a couple more months and he would not have been able to repair the tendon that was detached from the joint! In all he repaired the detached tendon, another torn rotator cuff tendon and the bicep tendon that run under the deltoid. He also cleaned up all the spurs and created a little more room between the collar bone and the socket. This first month will be spent in a sling healing with light rotational movements twice a day and PT twice a week. Got 4 different passive movement/stretches that I perform twice a day. I've been back at work since Monday and driving wherever I need to go. Getting buckled up is a tiresome process!
I measure my healing progress by the small feats I complete everyday, for instance I was able to dress my self for work today wearing regular clothes as opposed to a warm up suit.:)
All is well, I'm sure the healing process will take longer than I would like for it to but it shouldn't be too long before I'm back in the saddle again!

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Good news, Fali! Keep doing those exercises and be diligent with the PT and you'll be back up and running (er...riding...and playing tennis) in no time! :)

Patty

Top Bottom