lock serial number identification "1AB"

Bike
ST1100AY
Hi, I need to get a new key, my existing one is so worn that it is very fiddly to get the lock to work (any lock on the bike).

I have tried a blank cut duplicate but same problem, probably because the master key is so worn.

I took the lock off the fuel cap and found 3 characters stamped into the side of the barrel, the sort of stamping you get with a hand held punch (they aren't uniform)

the characters are <number> <letter> <letter> , that's all, e.g 1AB (thats not the actual characters !) This is somewhat at odds with the information I have read.

Do you think this is the reference I need to get a replacement from Honda ?

I did try my local dealer (Dubai) but they say that Honda Middle East won't supply factory cut keys only blanks. This means I need to try a US or European dealer and wanted to make sure I had the correct info.

I was going to post a picture but then thought better of it !

Thx Steve

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Yes, That code describes the key cut. A good locksmith can create a new key from that code. If you look at some other keys you will notice the 3 character code stamped or written on the key. It's a good idea to write those codes down if they are simply written on the key in ink.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Any good Honda dealer should be able to cut you a key with that three digit code. BTDT Cost me ~$7 a key last time. My good local dealer, Hawkeye Motorworks, had key blanks in stock and the machine to cut them.

Edit: ST1100 key code info in the Archive Of Wisdom (AOW):
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=1861.0

John
via iPhone 4S

Last edited:
OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I was wondering if there is anyone in US who could perhaps pick me up a new key using the key code (not the example code I used) I will PM.

I have a Florida mailing address which then ships out to me in Dubai. I can pay using Paypal plus some extra cash for petrol and time. I will PM across my Vehicle Registration card to prove ownership .

Many thanks in advance, Steve

Top Bottom