Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Mike

Did you not run another GYTT because of the model change or did you just want to see if the Pirelli's shape improved handling? Or did you just want to try something new. So many questions and I apologize but what was the final mile tally on the GYTT?

I may actually try the Nitto Motivo, which looks ideal in online images, in another Darkside attempt after going through 3 rear tires in 5 weeks. Something needs to give.
So far I have run a Hankook for 18,000 miles and Goodyear over 40,000 miles, this Pirelli is over 5000 miles now and I will try something else when this tire is done. I like testing different tires to help out anyone else who may consider running a Darkside tire.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
We'll I will end this tire as a no go for me as I did not get the miles out of the tire as I was hoping to.

Total miles 15000 tire handled great just not the miles.

I was in Idaho when I saw the tire was down to the wear bars and I did not think that the tire would last me between RocSTOC and NatSTOC so I headed home leaving Uncle Larry at a friends house.

The tire made it 1400 miles home with no problems and it still had a few miles left but I replaced it with this BF-GOODRICH tire. Time will tell if this is a good one or I go back to the Goodyear TTT tire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Total miles 15000 tire handled great just not the miles.
I'm being tempted to the darkside by considerations other than strict mileage gain vs the MC tires, and it seems to me that the Pirelli may be the ticket for me. Can I get a bit more information about the conditions you ran your Pirelli under e.g. did you run the bulk of your miles above 50F? If so, the extended mileage likely under my cooler average temps might make this selection worthwhile for me.

I'm faced with the fact I can't run my ST1300 in Quebec between December 15 and March 15 (winter), regardless of road conditions, unless it is fitted with winter or studded tires - both of which are about as common for the ST as toothed fowl. There is an exemption certificate if I ONLY intend to ride out of the province (like heading south!), but that pretty much precludes weekend rides. Given the corrosive nature of our winter environment, I might also opt for spare wheels that would be used only in winter - pretty much the same thing I do on my cage. So I'm thinking about getting a winter CT for the rear and running a studded MC tire in the front (Double dark or not). Does anyone have any kind of experience under this scenario that I could build on?

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm being tempted to the darkside by considerations other than strict mileage gain vs the MC tires, and it seems to me that the Pirelli may be the ticket for me. Can I get a bit more information about the conditions you ran your Pirelli under e.g. did you run the bulk of your miles above 50F? If so, the extended mileage likely under my cooler average temps might make this selection worthwhile for me.

I'm faced with the fact I can't run my ST1300 in Quebec between December 15 and March 15 (winter), regardless of road conditions, unless it is fitted with winter or studded tires - both of which are about as common for the ST as toothed fowl. There is an exemption certificate if I ONLY intend to ride out of the province (like heading south!), but that pretty much precludes weekend rides. Given the corrosive nature of our winter environment, I might also opt for spare wheels that would be used only in winter - pretty much the same thing I do on my cage. So I'm thinking about getting a winter CT for the rear and running a studded MC tire in the front (Double dark or not). Does anyone have any kind of experience under this scenario that I could build on?

Yes my tire was run about 85% above 50F and it was a great handling tire for me, that tire may work out great in the colder temperatures you have there.

Top Bottom