Clutch Growl

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi Folks

Noticed a little growl coming from the clutch this morning, id started up and let it warm up, put into gear and just as I was letting out the clutch lever there was a growling noise...........so I dipped the clutch and released it again and all was well.

Im not getting all worried about it as its been fine since,

Any ideas............not warm enough, its freezing here at the moment...........thrust bearing?,

Thanks
Chris

I still love this bike by the way!!!:)

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
A common problem - not to worry about unless it gets worse. Could be just cold oil and can become worse if you are using automotive type engine oils with friction modifiers that are not compatible with wet type motorcycle clutches. The energy conserving lubricants for automobile engines can contain very slippery additives that can cause this type of "Clutch Chatter". In either case this will not cause a failure only be an annoyance. If it gets too bad you may have to replace your fiber clutch plates.

Dan

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I used to get this in the mornings when it was cold out. Mostly when down shifting. Sounded like a goose honking. As long as it goes away when warmed up I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Thanks Lads

Its not long had an oil change, proper motorcycle oil at that so I don't think its that, bleed the clutch a while back, will do it again, the Honking Goose made me laugh!! spot on that!!

I will keep an eye on it but not worrying,

Thanks again

Chris

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Well just read through that entire thread and im CHINNED!!, that's a" bit tired " to our friends across the water;).

100% sure its the clutch, and the cold conditions that are the culprits so will live with it, the bike has only 52k so be a while till the spanners are out to do the belt etc when I will have a look at the plates and basket etc...

chris

Top Bottom