Alternative GoPro Video Camera - Inexpensive and Excellent

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hey Guys

Well there is some interest in the camera's I've been researching so allow me to show you what Ive found. I know there are other cameras out there from Sony and other "Action" cameras but really if you look at them they are all very expensive for what you get and may not have very good video quality. Recently I was looking for a replacement for my GoPRO HERO 2 as it does not do underwater footage, and they don't offer an underwater case for it anymore... so while I was searching I came across this company called SJCAM. They are a company that make action cameras and more specifically they make GOPRO Clones.

Case in point: A high end GoPro 4 Black with WIFI and LCD screen costs something like $500. For just above $110 or so you get a 1080P Camera with water proof case, Wifi, LCD Screen and a wack load of mounting options for that price.

You can also see their entire range of cameras including the new SJ5000 which has a new sensor and image quality.

Remember guys when your talking about $120 vs. $500 with crappy customer service, I would rather have the $100 to throw away then deal with Gopro customer service. You can buy 5 for what one of those costs. Just look at the reviews and online videos, you will be pleasantly surprised. It even comes with the ability to become a car camera that keeps filming out the window and recording over old footage... time lapse... ETC..

Package Includes:

• 1 x Original SJ4000 WiFi DV
  • 1 x Waterproof Housing
  • 1 x Quick Release Buckle
  • 1 x Housing Backdoor with Holes
  • 1 x Handlebar Seatpost Pole Mount
  • 1 x Curved Adhesive Mount
  • 1 x Flat Adhesive Mount
  • 1 x 3-Way Pivot Arm Mount
  • 2 x 3M Adhesive Tape
  • 1 x Frame Mount
  • 1 x Quick Release Clip for The Frame
  • 1 x Vertical Quick Release J-Hook Buckle
  • 1 x Universal 1/4" Camera Tripod Mount
  • 1 x Tripod Mount Adapter
  • 1 x Bandage Set
  • 1 x Stainless Steel Safety Tether
  • 4 x Nylon Cable Ties
  • 1 x Cleaning Cloth
  • 1 x USB Cable
  • 1 x Power Adapter
  • 1 x Higher Capacity Li-ion Battery
  • 1 x English Manual

[video=youtube;dk7A-QeJNSo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk7A-QeJNSo[/video]

[video=youtube;uirzCD-qALE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uirzCD-qALE#t=803[/video]

[video=youtube;GEJ0rrsRLbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEJ0rrsRLbU[/video]

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
After reading the thread about go pros terrible customer service I was going to pose the question about a good alternative. Not only have you provided us a good one, but an inexpensive one as well! Thanks!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Did you buy this one yet?

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Did you buy this one yet?
I will buy one closer towards the riding season, right now I have no need for an extra camera.... theres nothing but ice and snow outside and extremely freezing. When it gets warm I will order the WIFI one. From what I've seen from the reviews and videos, it gets excellent ratings. I plan on using this camera when I go to Hawaii this year in August, it will get lots of action. .and if it breaks.. who cares... $100 instead of a $400 go pro.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm curious why are you comparing it to the top of the line Gopro? My grandson got the basic Gopro plain "Hero" for Xmas and it was $110 on sale. $129 regular price. I looked at the specs and it seems to be just about the same as what you've found other than Hero has no wifi.

It is waterproof and has a 1 year warranty. How long is the warranty on this camera?

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
I'm curious why are you comparing it to the top of the line Gopro? My grandson got the basic Gopro plain "Hero" for Xmas and it was $110 on sale. $129 regular price. I looked at the specs and it seems to be just about the same as what you've found other than Hero has no wifi.

It is waterproof and has a 1 year warranty. How long is the warranty on this camera?
The comparison is based on equal features. Only the new Hero 4 has WIFI and LCD screen built in. The Gopro Hero for $110 is an older, outdated model with inferior optics and low frame rates and resolution compared to any other model. Im not trying to say its a "Bad" camera, just that there are much better alternatives for the same price. Filming at 60fps of 120fps allows for some amazing action shots slowed down. As far as the warranty is concerned, I don't know... I never care about the warranty for items like this because typically the effort, time and cost to replace a $100 item is rarely worth it. And if you've been following up on GoPro customer service, having a warranty with them almost doesn't matter as well when it takes a month to get a response from their CSD.

Either way its always great to have some alternatives that dont cost as much as the high end GoPro.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
$80 shipped from BH photo!
I might have run out of excuses!

Thanks for all the good info and lead!!!
Wow did you actually buy it? Right on man... Can you please write back here when you get it and show us some photos and videos you take with it and your general review? I am definitely buying one but only when it actually starts to get decent out there and have things to take video of.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
$80 shipped from BH photo!
I might have run out of excuses!

Thanks for all the good info and lead!!!
I don't think the $80 version has wifi. Another $40 gets you wifi and maybe some other features.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Wow did you actually buy it? Right on man...
Whoa... not so fast!
No, didn't buy. But my excuse of not going to pay $400 + for one is gone. And I check B&H on anything photography-wise for pricing, info and reviews.
So was just reporting my findings....

And I'm far from an early- adopter!!! :)

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
What about the Contour Roam2? I like the way it looks on the side of the helmet. Does is something I don't like about the other square action cameras that they stick out way too much. The cylindrical Contour ones look better, IMHO.

Bike
2006 ST1300
The Hero 4 is on sale all the time for around $300. I still won't pay that much. I have no need for wifi on a camera...what for? My Nikon AW120 has Wifi and I haven't used it yet. Seems to have no real use. For a video camera I have the Vivitar DVR 787HD. It cost me $35 from WalMart and works fine. Only complaint is very short batter life in the cold, but under the same conditions any other camera would probably have the same problem. Its waterproof and came with a full selection of mounts.

The camera the OP mentioned does look good for the money. If I was in the market for a new camera I would check it out.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What about the Contour Roam2?
I've yet to get a helmet mounted camera but the Contour would be it. The SJ is worth considering for a bike mounted camera and is pretty tempting. I met a guy and his wife who both had the Contour (two earlier versions) and I didn't notice it right away because they had some kind of comm unit on the other side.

Bike
VFR800
I'm not a big fan of the wifi option. It's terrible and sporadic on he GoPro especially when I'm flying my quadcopter. It really drains the battery life as well. I may take a shot at the SJ and start looking for it on eBay.

Byron

STOC #
If you are considering one of these you might hold off for the SJ5000+ version. I found this interesting video review.

[video=youtube_share;5Avz31Waq1Y]http://youtu.be/5Avz31Waq1Y[/video]

Top Bottom