Buyers tips/guide?

Hello hello everyone! I'm looking at picking up an '05 ST1300, this will be the third cycle I've owned BUT the first I'll be buying from a used dealership. :eek:: My other two were both purchased from family members with well documented service records. Any tips or hints I should look out for or to stress the dealer about?
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this sort of thing, so if there's another thread I should read I'll gladly (and thankfully!) read it several times over lol!
Thanks in advance for any help! :bow1:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Make sure that all fluids have been changed, tires and brakes are good. Make sure that the valves are in specification, fuel system is not full of rust from sitting. If that checks out and you like the bike, then ride it!!

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I've been riding for just under 9 years, but have only had my st1300 for a month. However, because I have read hundreds of posts on this site there are a few things to look for:
Thermostat gets stuck in open position causing the engine to work harder and get poor fuel economy. The tale-tell sign is the coolant thermometer (on the dash) won't get to 3 bars when it is cold. It is a cheap fix at ~$50 for parts. Labor will quadruple that amount.
One less likely issue is the windscreen adjuster. If it starts binding when you run the windscreen up and down then it will need to be replaced. A new adjuster will run you about $400 plus labor.
A tire tread depth gauge will run you <$10 but give you an idea on when tires need to be replaced. New rubber will cost you $400ish if mounted.
Farkles are nice but add very little value. Actually, there were a few on mine that took quite a bit of time just removing them. It would have been better if they weren't on in the first place. Definitely have dealership put new oil & filter. It is a Honda and a V4 so it is nearly bulletproof. Good luck! soug

Have you checked the "Bikes for sale" section of our Forum? There are some good deals there. Your profile doesn't show where you live, so I can't tell you how close you are to these bikes. Some of them have low mileage and are very well accessorized...with needed, functional items, not glamour bling.

If you prefer to still buy from a local dealer ( nothing wrong with that. I did myself ), at least print out the descriptions of these bikes and prices, and show that to the dealer when you are price negotiating. It may help save you from paying too much (which I did! ).

OP
OP
Thank you all VERY much for all the suggestions & info! It is very much appreciated!!
As for my location I'm from Iuka, ks. Tiny little town, Wichita is about 2 hours west of me and the bike is at a dealer in Kingman, only about an hour & a half away. Closest other bikes from various Google searching is about 4-4.5 hours away in Oklahoma City. But that's only searching for the broad "sport touring motorcycles" search term.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thank you all VERY much for all the suggestions & info! It is very much appreciated!!
As for my location I'm from Iuka, ks. Tiny little town, Wichita is about 2 hours west of me and the bike is at a dealer in Kingman, only about an hour & a half away. Closest other bikes from various Google searching is about 4-4.5 hours away in Oklahoma City. But that's only searching for the broad "sport touring motorcycles" search term.
There have been a number of threads here in which guys did a fly and ride home deal for various reasons. Sometimes the price was very reasonable, or the bike was exactly what was wanted, etc. Ultimately you'll have to decide, but do the research to make sure you are paying the going rate for the bike your dealer is selling.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Make sure that all fluids have been changed, tires and brakes are good. Make sure that the valves are in specification, fuel system is not full of rust from sitting. If that checks out and you like the bike, then ride it!!
To Mike's items I'll add one more, easy to check item. With the bike on the center stand and the transmission in neutral, get behind the bike and flick the rear wheel as hard as you can with your foot. It should turn about 1 1/2 turns or more before stopping. If you get less than one turn, there may be a problem with the secondary master cylinder (SMC) causing the rear wheel to drag. It's a problem that crops up often enough on ST1300's that it is worth checking. It happened to me when I purchased mine.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Lots of good advice here. You would be well served following it.
Personally, I would not even consider that bike it unless it is an ABS model. I will never buy another new streetbike without it.
Hopefully the bike also has an aftermarket seat of some sort. The OEM seat is one of the worst I have encountered.

OP
OP
Thanks a million again everyone, it is good to know there's a friendly well of information I can draw upon!
I'm going to go see the bike in person, test it out and all that, this afternoon. I'm getting real excited!
They've got it listed for $6500

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
VFR800
I'm thinking he's out riding on it since it's such a nice day. Don't leave us hanging! Tell us about it when the sun goes down.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Well what did you get it for?? We know that you have a big :D on and nothing will wipe it off.
He got it to have fun, of course! The same reason most of the rest of us got bikes. And yes I hope he's out there right now riding the wheels off'n it and grinning more widely with every turn of the engine.

OP
OP
Well, I need to go talk to my banker Monday, my final price will be just at $6200 out the door with 18 month warranty! Wife went on the test drive with me and as soon as we got back, she told the clerk SHE wants it!! :D
I'm floored, fit me well and rode SMMOOOOOOTTTTHHH!! LOVE IT!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
she told the clerk SHE wants it!! :D
Doh! that's not gonna help the negotiations. Hopefully it's a different sales guy when you go back in.

Looks like Gen2 MCL hiway pegs. Little better leg extension than the 1st gen.
Rear tip over bars aren't stock but some have found them useful.
Scratch pad on the tank isn't stock. I coulda used one:rolleyes:
Front tire might be a little scalloped but looks ok in the photo.
Rack comes in handy.
All in all the farkles on there look like ones you'd want.

Might wanna pull the seat and see if there's a rats nest of added farkle wiring. Might help you with negotiations if there is :).
If nobody mentioned check the color of the fluid res. The clutch tends to get dark if it hasn't been changed.

29k miles is pretty low.
Good luck!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
He got it to have fun, of course! The same reason most of the rest of us got bikes. And yes I hope he's out there right now riding the wheels off'n it and grinning more widely with every turn of the engine.
I was asking what price he paid for it!! :D

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I was asking what price he paid for it!! :D
And I was being a wise-a** as usual. :)

Need to put his wife next to my wife for a spell- can't seem to get the missus to show any enthusiasm yet, either for a spot as a pillion or for her own bike- either or both of which I'd gladly embrace.

CoastieKarl

Ride like they don't see ya!
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Congrats on your new ST. Wonder if the previous owner was on the forum?

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Looks good, I would try and talk them down a bit. Two years ago I paid 6 for a similarly equipped '05.
Mine was from a private seller, not a dealer.

Good color, great shine!

Top Bottom