Buyers tips/guide?

Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
Great price, nice color, low miles and a wife that loves it... what more do you need other then a clear sky and the dry road under your tires.... Great purchase. and welcome to a great machine. you will love it for years.

OP
OP
Thanks so much all! I'm looking forward to some nicer days here so we can ride.

But, (there's always a but) one of the monkeys the dealer has working there actually DROPPED THE BIKE moving it back into their storage the Monday after I test road it!! [emoji35] damaging the left saddle bag and scraping the paint in various places. So thanks to that lovely bit IDIOCY I will have to wait nearly a month for them to repair and repaint whatever was hurt. I've been assured it was a standing drop hopefully nothing serious was harmed.
Just rather disheartening to hear. On the plus side though there'll be shiny new paint, keep looking up right? lol

I haven't paid yet so there's certainly going to be some dickering done in light of that B.S. however they've listed the bike as sale pending so it won't be sold out from under me. Another bright side! [emoji3]

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
But, (there's always a but) one of the monkeys the dealer has working there actually DROPPED THE BIKE moving it back into their storage the Monday after I test road it!! [emoji35] damaging the left saddle bag and scraping the paint in various places. <SNIP> On the plus side though there'll be shiny new paint, keep looking up right?
If you're still interested in this bike, I'd insist that they replace the saddle bag cover rather than painting it. It's only about a $300 retail part at some of the discount places like Ron Ayers (see HERE , item #18, color # R151CU ) and a dealer will pay even less. If it's painted by that shop, you risk it not matching perfectly with the rest of the bike (especially after being exposed to the sun for a while) or as happened to a friend of mine whose wine red ST1100 had to be partially repainted, having the paint eventually bubble up and wrinkle because the painter didn't do it right.

OP
OP
If you're still interested in this bike, I'd insist that they replace the saddle bag cover rather than painting it. It's only about a $300 retail part at some of the discount places like Ron Ayers (see HERE , item #18, color # R151CU ) and a dealer will pay even less. If it's painted by that shop, you risk it not matching perfectly with the rest of the bike (especially after a while being exposed to the sun) or as happened to a friend of mine whose wine red ST1100 had to be partially repainted, having the paint eventually bubble up and wrinkle because the painter didn't do it right.
I see. That's a very good idea, thank you. I'll certainly insist on it.

I'm still very interested in it because of the low mileage, hope to put many many more on it that are my own!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
But, (there's always a but) one of the monkeys the dealer has working there actually DROPPED THE BIKE moving it back into their storage...
They beat you to it!

There's a REASON the user profile includes a "How many drops" item...

Agree that replace is better than repair, unless they're gonna knock off MORE than the price of the replacement part you may eventually need anyhow...

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I just bought an 04 with similar miles (28k) but it included several pricey farkles...GPS, 3 seats, 2 sets of exhausts, 2 windshields, and the Honda top case. Those are all farkles I would have eventually bought, costing me several thousand dollars (even used). It will eventually need tires so I got them down to $5,250.

Again, one thing to keep in mind is to try and work from what you think they paid for it, not what they are asking for it. I remember seeing that bike back in Nov-Dec when I was looking, so it has been on hand for a while...That might be a negotiating point as well. Also, don't let them try to convince you that they it is worth more b/c of the repairs. They may want to recoup some of their losses from the drop.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I see. That's a very good idea, thank you. I'll certainly insist on it.

I'm still very interested in it because of the low mileage, hope to put many many more on it that are my own!
The tip over bars on the back are Bygdawg's. I believe they are powder coated. You might ask that the coating be replaced rather than them applying touch up paint. I doubt they will accommodate you, but its worth a try. Incidentally, I have tested my tip over bars and they work fine. Especially if you lose it on a street with patched potholes (which are proud of the rest of the street). That guy must have dropped the bike against something or a curb. Normally the bike will not scratch at all because the engine guard keeps all the plastic up off the ground. Oh, and make sure they replace the engine guard plastic (the piece that surrounds the MCL 'blades' footrest). It is now scuffed on the bottom. Motorcyclelarry sells these parts.

If they paint any plastic, get a guarantee that said paint will not bubble or crack for (several) years. The original paint lasts and lasts - there is no reason their paint job should fail for any reason before the paint on the rest of the bike fails.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Hi There Tymer.
The ST is a ride that brings BIG smiles for you and your bride!
;-)
Curt

That certainly isn't the bike for me.
A member of the forums contacted me offering his own much better pony and come early to mid May, I do believe I'll have a new ride!
I was about to write the opinion that insisting that the dealer fix/repair the tipover/scrape to your insistent satisfaction (& even...for years to come on paint) before you would consider purchasing...is really giving away some of your negotiationing "power"...I was going to suggest that you propose to them that, because of the unfortunate(for dealer) dropping of bike...that you would now insist on a substantial reduction of their asking price(I am saying a Major $drop)...and you would take the bike as is...and get the repair(s) done by your choice of paint shops, etc...you would then have used the bike drop to your negotiation advantage...and, also,...gotten repairs done at your satisfaction...But, as your recent update post carries the famed Gilda Radner(always enjoyed her talent!): "NEVER MIND"!!...Looks like this spring your new bike will result in the best kind of a transaction...both you & the forum seller will be satisfied with an even better bike/price transfer!...GOOD FOR BOTH OF YOU IN THE BETTER BIKE TRANSFER!...and hope for an early spring...& ride some of those great flint-hill byways!:):03biker:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
It's just like when you are buying your first house and the deal falls thru and you are devastated. Only to find a better deal or better house.

Nice job on finding a better bike. Welcome! You are going to love the ST.

TC

OP
OP
It's just like when you are buying your first house and the deal falls thru and you are devastated. Only to find a better deal or better house.

Nice job on finding a better bike. Welcome! You are going to love the ST.

TC
Actually had that situation happen as well. We put a bid in on a foreclosure and the company rejected it. But luckily we were the only ones bidding and after the company sat on the house for 2 years with no other interested parties. Contacted me asking me to take it off their hands for less than my original bid! I was more than happy to oblige [emoji38]

TymerTHEcheezGUY

In my above post regarding negotiations & the "Never Mind" followup after learning of your much better deal for both you & forum member & then writing the salutation toward your riding the "byways of the Flint Hills"...out of curiosity last night I looked up where Iuka, Ks is...just north of Pratt...certainly making you somewhat far from the Flint Hills of Council Grove, etc...so...let me rephrase my wishing you enjoyable riding this coming spring as you traverse about the Rattlesnake Creek area and your gazing far about the Kansas Plains from atop Pawnee Rock and try to keep from chatting with Highway Patrol about speed limits while you were:D:03biker: counting on one hand the curves to St John & Great Bend!

OP
OP
In my above post regarding negotiations & the "Never Mind" followup after learning of your much better deal for both you & forum member & then writing the salutation toward your riding the "byways of the Flint Hills"...out of curiosity last night I looked up where Iuka, Ks is...just north of Pratt...certainly making you somewhat far from the Flint Hills of Council Grove, etc...so...let me rephrase my wishing you enjoyable riding this coming spring as you traverse about the Rattlesnake Creek area and your gazing far about the Kansas Plains from atop Pawnee Rock and try to keep from chatting with Highway Patrol about speed limits while you were:D:03biker: counting on one hand the curves to St John & Great Bend!
Yeah living where I do I've grown accustomed to having to travel about an hour and a half for most entertainment (lakes, movie theater, sand dunes, etc, even for some decent scenery!). Wouldn't mind riding around the Flint Hills area, I did some of my college in Manhattan, beautiful scenery and quite a few twisty back roads [emoji6]
The misses and I have no qualms about traveling for a view! I'm just having to struggle with maintaining patience until the weather warms and we can ride, ride, RIDE! [emoji2]
SUPER excited and grateful for the opportunity from Curt H to pass on to us such well loved and cared for bike.

TymerTHEcheezGUY

Top Bottom