Back up Keys

Bike
ST1100
When I purchased my ST1100 she only had a single set of keys, and one of my first jobs was to get a spare set. I found a company call www.keysinthepost.com who would cut keys just from a photo of the key. I was sceptical but thought I would have a go, the service was fantastic and keys worked great. I then had a thought which I would like share with the group, if I kept picture's of my keys loaded on to an online storage service, I would always be able to get a copy key cut, if I lost the original instant key backup.:)

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
On the Honda ST1100 the original keys had a three digit code, I think one letter and two numbers, using that any Honda dealer could make a new key. I recorded that number in my address book just in case the key was lost on a trip, fortunately never needed that info. Newer vehicles usually have a chip in the key that has to be read by the bike in order for the ignition to work, I don't know if the ST1300 is among those but I suspect it is.

Gerhard

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The newer ignitions that need a chip are yet to be in all newer vehicles. My new CTX only has that in the overseas models. The system is called HISS and makes the bike more secure. The U.S. version is just a key without a chip, but it's still a very different key with the "teeth" between the groves on both sides and the outer edges smooth. Will have to check out this web site to see if they can cut it.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
The 13 doesn't have a chip in the key. I was able to get spare keys made at a locksmith locally for $3.50 each.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
The 13 doesn't have a chip in the key. I was able to get spare keys made at a locksmith locally for $3.50 each.
Yes, that is correct. I only used the OEM key to ride my bike home. I cut 3 keys - 1 to use, 1 to store at home (overkill, I know), and 1 to store in my wallet (which is pretty much always with me).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The OP is British I presume. The 1100 in the UK did not have HISS but the 1300's do and require a chipped key.

Bike
92 ST1100
When I purchased my ST1100 she only had a single set of keys, and one of my first jobs was to get a spare set. I found a company call www.keysinthepost.com who would cut keys just from a photo of the key. I was sceptical but thought I would have a go, the service was fantastic and keys worked great. I then had a thought which I would like share with the group, if I kept picture's of my keys loaded on to an online storage service, I would always be able to get a copy key cut, if I lost the original instant key backup.:)
True..........but a couple hundred miles from nowhere, lost keys and pics don't help matters much;):D. I'd advice keeping an extra set on bike somewhere.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
The OP is British I presume. The 1100 in the UK did not have HISS but the 1300's do and require a chipped key.
That's fascinating! I would not have guessed the key used would be different across the pond. Good thing I'm not too old to learn:)

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I have one of the money belts from Aerostich that I wear whenever I'm on the bike. A spare key fits perfectly in the pocket in the belt and you never even know its there. I got my spares from the local locksmith but they cost $6/ea.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I was able to get spares made at a local locksmith as well but it took two tries for them to get it right.

My STs came with a small tag on the cheap key ring with four or five numbers. I was cautioned to keep this inc case I needed duplicates. Funny thing is no Honda dealer anywhere near me can cut a key and the numbers mean nothing to locksmiths.

I keep a key on me as well as the bike key. My buddy has a copy JIC. Keeping a key in the cloud is cheap insurance. It won't help in the moment but should one get home on their last key it could be a help.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Funny thing is no Honda dealer anywhere near me can cut a key and the numbers mean nothing to locksmiths.
The dealer in Stratford Ontario had no key cutting machine but he had a device like a metal punch with a dial on it. He dialed in a number then pulled the plier grip and a piece of key popped out, then repeated for the rest of the code. I took this key and taped it behind the right side mirror. I met a another ST rider in Grand Bend and he told me that was where he kept the spare key and I thought that was a sensible place since it was out of sight, easily accessible yet most people had no idea that the cover was easily popped off with no tools. I don't remember what they charged but I don't think it was out of line with other keys that I have had made.

Gerhard

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
On the topic of "spare keys", I was always concerned about losing my keys while traveling and being stranded until the situation could be remedied. My solution was to have a spare set of keys hidden inside my trunk, then I hid a trunk key on the bike that I could get to with no tools required. I removed the plastic molding from the trunk key so that it could easily be hidden. I'll let everyone guess where I hid the key! Just thought I'd share a tip...

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
My local dealer just gave me a dumb look when I asked about getting a spare key cut, but after asking around the shop, he said he could order me a key blank for $14. A few blocks down the road, a real locksmith cut me one for $6.

John

Bike
2010 ST1300
The dealer in Stratford Ontario had no key cutting machine but he had a device like a metal punch with a dial on it. He dialed in a number then pulled the plier grip and a piece of key popped out, then repeated for the rest of the code. I took this key and taped it behind the right side mirror. I met a another ST rider in Grand Bend and he told me that was where he kept the spare key and I thought that was a sensible place since it was out of sight, easily accessible yet most people had no idea that the cover was easily popped off with no tools. I don't remember what they charged but I don't think it was out of line with other keys that I have had made.

Gerhard
This is pretty much SOP for cutting keys. Many years ago, I wanted a Schlage 'nibbler' (for want of a better descripion/name) but it cost something like $200+. I regret not purchasing it. All locks* use pins of, say 7 or 8 or 9 lengths - and the lengths are somewhat standardized. These key machines have a dial to set the depth of cut after which the key is advanced to the next pin location and that notch is cut. They are supposed to be more accurate than a key cutting machine - excepting those costing upwards of a thousand dollars which have micrometer attachments for very accurate cutting.

I hope you tested your key before storing it. The 'nibbler' may not make mistakes, but it is easy to dial in the wrong number.

In another thread here it was mentioned that ST 1300's use an Ilco HD 109 key blank or a Kaba/Ilco X265. These are often available at your neighborhood hardware store (have not checked Hopot) here in the US. Or online at eBay.

Bike
92 ST1100
On the topic of "spare keys", I was always concerned about losing my keys while traveling and being stranded until the situation could be remedied. My solution was to have a spare set of keys hidden inside my trunk, then I hid a trunk key on the bike that I could get to with no tools required. I removed the plastic molding from the trunk key so that it could easily be hidden. I'll let everyone guess where I hid the key! Just thought I'd share a tip...
Similar to what I've done, but involves small pieces of 3M Dual-Loc on extra keys and in stealth locations on bike;):D.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The dealer in Stratford Ontario had no key cutting machine but he had a device like a metal punch with a dial on i
This is pretty common among car dealers and licensed repo men in some states. And maybe some crooks LOL!

It seems SMSW beat me to the punch. But none of the Honda dealers near me have one. Maybe they don't want to deal with the possibility of making a key for a stolen bike or one about to be stolen. I don't know. In fact none of them stock the keys but will order them. Just as well since the factory keys are carp.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
For me the local locksmith has cut keys for all of my Hondas up through 2008 model. I don't have anything newer. They can also use the code on the key to cut a new one.

Where to place a second key? My wife and I ride a lot together so we each key a set of the other persons bike and luggage keys. I normally don't carry a second when buy my self.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I got four keys from eBay, and a local locksmith cloned the original key onto these copies. One is tucked in with my ownership / insurance info, so always in my riding jacket. Another is in my wife's jacket pocket so she can unlock panniers to tuck her purse etc safely away. This way I always have at least one spare with me !!!

edit to add: don't rely on the OEM keys for days to day use. They are made of the softest metal known to man. Use a copy instead.

Bike
2010 ST1300
This is pretty common among car dealers and licensed repo men in some states. And maybe some crooks LOL!

It seems SMSW beat me to the punch. But none of the Honda dealers near me have one. Maybe they don't want to deal with the possibility of making a key for a stolen bike or one about to be stolen. I don't know. In fact none of them stock the keys but will order them. Just as well since the factory keys are carp.
I've always been fascinated by locks, and since I have some rental property, I wanted to master the keys. I chanced upon an old key cutting machine (like at every hardware store) at a house sale and paid $75 for it. This machine was old and worn and took a bit of finessing to cut an accurate copy, but it did the job for me and I was able to master the keys that I wanted. I recently picked up a newer machine and I'll see how this one works.

Where to hide a key? The best place I have found is here: Take a piece of cardboard - the back of a legal pad (or similar) works best. cut it to the size of a credit card or business card. Cut two parallel slits about 1/2" (13 mm for you metric fellows) apart roughly in the middle of the card and parallel to the short end. The slits should be about 1/2" long. Now, take your new key - hopefully without a plastic top, simple metal keys work best - and slip it thru one slot, behind the 1/2" strip, and back through the other slit. The key is now held to the cardboard by the strip in the middle. If you put this in your wallet, the soft cardboard will mold itself to the key, padding it. I don't put it right behind a credit card because the key might scratch the magnetic stripe. The key will always be with you. (Stay away from pick pockets and grifters.)

St Gui - I always thought dealers, and by extension, the factory was fishy. Thanks for confirming it.

Top Bottom