New Rotor thickness

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I know the minimum is 4 mm, but can anyone tell me what the thickness is of a new front rotor for the ST1300?

T.I.A.
Garry
Gilbert, AZ

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
just a guess, but the 1100 is 5.0mm when new, 4.0mm minimum thickness, so the 1300 is probably the same since it has the same min thickness spec.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, I suspect you are correct. I stopped by and measured the thickness of a new GL1800 rotor tonight, and it was 5.0mm
Thanks very much.

Garry

Bike
2004 ST1300
Now I'm curious. I just measured my front caliper. My bike is a 2004 with just over 30,000 miles. I'm pretty sure the rotor is original as the previous owner kept meticulous maintenance records and the pads have been replaced, but not the rotors. The rotor measured 5.03 at several spots (the caliper is a cheap digital Chinese model, but it has been accurate enough for some hobby machinist work and I zeroed it before use). I checked for a lip along the rotor's path on the caliper and if there is one, it is barely discernible. Now I'm curious to hear from someone with a new 1300 caliper.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Now I'm curious. I just measured my front caliper. My bike is a 2004 with just over 30,000 miles. I'm pretty sure the rotor is original as the previous owner kept meticulous maintenance records and the pads have been replaced, but not the rotors. The rotor measured 5.03 at several spots (the caliper is a cheap digital Chinese model, but it has been accurate enough for some hobby machinist work and I zeroed it before use). I checked for a lip along the rotor's path on the caliper and if there is one, it is barely discernible. Now I'm curious to hear from someone with a new 1300 caliper.
because of the shape of the caliper jaws you'll generally be measuring the thickness of the 'lip' anyway, so 5.03mm sounds reasonable given a cheap caliper. If you want to measure the worn section thickness you're better off with a micrometer, it will get into all the various places beyond the lip and give you a better reading on the thickness at the pad contact area.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I know the minimum thickness is 4mm, but I'm wondering how many miles folks tend to get on the clock before feeling they need to replace the front or rear calipers. I realize this can be highly dependent on riding style and what pads are used.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I know the minimum thickness is 4mm, but I'm wondering how many miles folks tend to get on the clock before feeling they need to replace the front or rear calipers. I realize this can be highly dependent on riding style and what pads are used.
There are many variables. If you tour long distances you don't use the brakes very much per mile traveled, if you commute shorter distances then the reverse is true. Pad material probably also plays a part in it, but I'm not sure if one company's HH rated pads are more or less abrasive than another company's HH pads.

I've owned two bikes that I put over 100k miles on, my current ST1100 and a Yamaha FZR1000 sport bike. Both needed new rotors at around 100k miles, as they were worn to the minimum thickness spec.

Top Bottom