Motorcycles In 2040

Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
25 years ago was 1990. I think in another 25 years we will still have internal combustion engines, just more efficient, cleaner and eco friendly. Hydrocarbon power not going away anytime soon.
We will also have access to more alternative powered vehicles, electric, solar, battery, hydrogen, etc. in the future. But R&D on these will take some time in the next 25 years.
Let's see in 25 years I will be 93 years old..........probably not riding motorcycles then, maybe drooling on my wheelchair. :old1:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
How about a force field to protect the rider. Within this field is complete climate control. Somewhat makes you wonder about why we would want to be around with motorcycles like that.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Wishful thinking would be electric bikes that can get 500 to a 1000 miles on a charge and still weigh 600 pound or less. Charge times of minutes and not hours and days. Charging stations readily available anywhere you go. Speeds and handling that exceed todays motorcycles of any class.

And for those that go off road they can find a currant bush to plug into for a charge. And for those that really need to make noise a stop to mount playing card so they rub against you wheel spokes, like we did with bicycles. Or crank up the stereo with Harley exhaust noise.

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Just my random thoughts...

Active collision warning / avoidance through vehicles directly communicating with each other.
Extensive use of advanced composites significantly reducing weight enabling gyroscopes to be installed to stop the bike falling over - hurrah, the end to SAD events :D
MicroFibre optic cables for ECU and electronic controls and signal inputs to the plethora of electronic aids, gizmos.
More electric bikes but don't believe we will have fully lost the combustion engine option.

Cheers

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I imagine something like the active balancing on a Segway so that when a bike is stopped, you needn't put your feet down. That would make stop and go traffic much more tolerable.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Carbon fiber frame, smallish constant speed single cylinder diesel electric to charge high capacity batteries powering the drive motors in the hubs (2 wheel drive), 500 miles + per tank or better. Leave the motor run at night to recharge the batteries if touring and no plug to recharge. It will look very much like the current ST as some things are timeless.....

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Electric or hydrogen fuel cell powered, heads up displays, lots of carbon fiber. Hope I'm still riding one.

Bike
2008 Silver ST1300
Something like a motorised Zimmer frame for me if I am still around then. At least they won't be rider-less like the driver-less cars that are being developed at the moment unless they have stabiliser wheels.

Drive will probably be electric motors backed up by a small generating motor on the larger bikes. Smaller turbo or supercharged engines on the smaller bikes.

Crash prevention technology using advanced radar technology governing the bikes speed in close proximity to solid objects will probably be well advanced by then.

Frames replaced by an integral chassis housing containing all fluids and the electrics.

Two wheel drive with independent traction control.

Fully computerised suspension systems that read the road and automatically adjusts the suspension to suit load and road conditions.

All these are possibilities but one thing is definite, you won't be able to fix it when it goes wrong.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Hopefully someone will have perfected the whole bluetooth thing so they all actually work.
It'll be a cochlear implant with a life time battery. It still won't pair correctly unless all you're stuff is iBrain compatible and it'll play an FBI warning about digital restriction management before your err their tunes play in the order they've determined is best. The battery will only occasionally catch fire but, will be replaceable by an IG-genius but won't be covered under warranty if you didn't use iShampoo. Fortunately I won't have hair by then, well maybe ear hair LOL.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Automatic and/or push button transmission, head's up display, hybrid technology, and voice commands for helmet to bike communications (setting cruise, GPS directions, dialing numbers). We actually have some off that now, but in 25 years it will be standard equipment and less clunky. Oh, and exhaust that you can change volume and tune using the integrated on board touch screen.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I'd like live, maybe pre-recorded streaming of virtual hologram rides for elderly shut-ins. Possibly a farkle feature, it would suggest, at least, that Spot3 technology has evolved.

Even now I'm:think1:of the possibilities.

Styles

Bike
1999 ST1100
Adaptive cruise control - similar to what Volvo has - Keeping you a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you. Also some sort of gyroscopic force allowing you to drive very slowly when needed without the worry of tipping. Certainly a plug in hybrid type of propulsion system makes sense. Smaller turbo charged internal combustion engines with either single or twin cylinders pumping out the horsepower and torque of 4 cylinder engines. Higher torque at lower RPMs. Possibly solar panel outer clothing to capture as much electricity when riding. But please let there be some chrome!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Autonomous vehicles will already rule the road by that time and I wonder if human-operated vehicles of any type will even be permitted on the roads by then. Maybe motorcycles will survive as renegade vehicles.

After self-driving cars have taken over (if for no other reason than to wring greater capacity from existing pavement) there will be a LOT of pressure to get our vehicles off the road...

Jack

Top Bottom