Wanting some input on a Kawasaki 1000 Versys LT.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Like many on the forum my bike has close to 100000 miles on it. I find now that I, m closing in on 67 the ST seems taller and heavier every year. I,ve been looking for lighter touring bikes and have noticed the New Versys LT. the LT is supposed to stand for light touring. It comes with side bags and does have an optional trunk. I do like the fact that it uses the Ninja 1000 engine. I like 4 cylinders. The bike has adj. suspension - 2 riding modes, ABS, traction control, 118 HP, manually adjustable windscreen, 5.5 gal tank, weights 549 lbs and top speed is 140 mph. Now all of this sounds good and the US MSRP is $12,800. Super.
I know this is a new bike to North America and wonder if anyone else was looking at it as well. I would like to know your thoughts.

www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/19/2015-kawasaki-versys-1000-lt-sport-tourer-motorcycle-review-first-ride-photos-specifications/

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Bill, I like the look of that bike!! I would take a look at it and have a seat on one and see if it would work for you. Good luck with the search for a new ride.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I thought about a Ninja 1000 some day, but the Versys LT looks even better. Better ergos for us older guys, and I do love an I4. Will definitely look at them when they hit the dealers. Wish it was shaft drive though.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
The Kawi weighs almost 200 pounds less than the ST. It even weighs less than my CB 1100 DLX. Should feel like a mini bike.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I thought about a Ninja 1000 some day, but the Versys LT looks even better. Better ergos for us older guys, and I do love an I4. Will definitely look at them when they hit the dealers. Wish it was shaft drive though.
Shaft drive would have been great. I haven't had a chain on my bike since 1975

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Bill, what happened to your FJR? Try a Gen III FJR. You will like it. I sure like mine. Almost 100 lbs lighter than my ST, but feels even lighter. Wonderful factory cruise control and two driving modes, Touring ( which is great by its self) and Sport which will give you whip lash.;)

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I like the Versys 1000 LT. I'd look at the FJ-09 as well. Versys seems better suited to touring, the FJ seems like a hooligan with bags and a windscreen. Go check 'em out.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I would like to go lighter the next time and the new Yamaha FJ 09 Sport Tourer has my interest. Way lighter than my previously owned ST1300 and my current 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere.

http://yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/fj-09

The Kawasaki 1000 Versys LT looks good also but seems a little heavy.

I do like the Yamaha as well but we ride two up 99% of the time and I think the Kawasaki gives more wiggle room.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Bill, what happened to your FJR? Try a Gen III FJR. You will like it. I sure like mine. Almost 100 lbs lighter than my ST, but feels even lighter. Wonderful factory cruise control and two driving modes, Touring ( which is great by its self) and Sport which will give you whip lash.;)
Hi Chuck - once the ST was repaired we sold the FJR - put 5000 super fun miles on it in 3 mounths but the seat and foot pegs bothered Rose. I believe the newer FJR's have lowered the footpegs but it felt like w lost 4" of seat room on the FJR.
In Canada the FJR is $17800, $18800 with electronic suspension. I don't know what the Versys will be in Canada but if there is only a few thou difference we may have a FJR.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Bill,

I know it's not the shortest bike out there, but the Triumph Explorer is the best bike I've ever owned. It has about the same power as the ST1300, but weighs over 100 lbs less. Its handling is phenomenal, and the powerband and sound of the in-line triple is intoxicating. In my small circle of riding friends, five of us now own Explorers---all within the last 7 months.

Please go ride one before crossing it off your list.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The Tiger Explorer isn't the tallest bike out there, either...plenty taller.

thumperjdm

Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Are you happy you chose the 1200 over the 800 Explorer?
Absolutely. Only now (as of the 2015 model year), are the 800's (XRx and XCx) coming with the option of cruise control, traction control, and other features that debuted on the 1200. When I bought my Explorer, the loaded 800's hadn't yet been announced.

After riding the ST1300, I don't find the Tiger 1200 to be too large---I'm still finding it to be incredibly nimble (which is the only reason I would choose to buy the 800 instead.)

It has all the goodies I could want (some being OEM accessories): shaft drive, cruise control, traction control, heated seats, heated grips, an adjustable windshield, tire pressure monitoring system (note: very accurate!), LED fog lights, engine guards, and more.

Maintenance is one of the reasons I'm absolutely loving this bike. The oil drain bolt is of course easy to access. But, in addition, the oil filter (the same KN-204 our ST13's use) is on the left side of the engine, meaning you can loosen the filter while your bike is on the side stand, allowing the residual oil from the filter to drain right into your drain pan. An oil/filter change is a 10 minute job.

Anyone who changes their own rear tires on an ST13 would do back flips removing the rear tire of an Explorer---five lug nuts, and the wheel is off. You don't even have to move the exhaust pipe (as was required on my VFR1200F.) The Explorer's rear wheel literally comes off in less than one minute!

I test rode one--and immediately ordered mine in blue. Four of my very close friends have done the same.

Triumph is very liberal about test rides. If in the market, at least go ride one before looking elsewhere. You've nothing to lose.

(sorry, thread hijack now concluded) :)

Last edited:

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
I still have my '05 ST. I don't plan to sell it. I want to take it on a long, long ride this summer. But I confess that my attention has shifted to a 2015 Ninja 1000. I begin adding mods the day I brought it home -- handlebars raised, pegs lowered, Powerlet jacks, RAM ball mount, etc. -- turning a sport bike into a sport tourer. The Ninja 1000 has good bones for this configuration.

2015 N1K.jpg

The N1K is over 200 lbs. lighter and it's great for canyon carving. The ST does well in the curves, but the Ninja is even better. And Kawasaki's 1043cc engine is really something. This is the kind of bike Honda should've built instead of the Vultus "Big Wheel" or even the CTX1300 cruiser.

Last week, the OEM Kawasaki QR 28-liter panniers arrived -- perhaps the first in North America, the black trimmed ones are very rare.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Triumph is very liberal about test rides. If in the market, at least go ride one before looking elsewhere. You've nothing to lose.
Has your bike been recalled for the head/cam issues, I know a few guys over here who had their bikes recalled,and there's some grumblings about reliability from them,great looking bike though and I'd love to get a test ride on one.
The old versys 1000 was a bit ugly but they have taken care of that as well as the other improvements with the new model in my opinion,lack of shaft drive is the only drawback compared to a crosstourer or super10.

thumperjdm

Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Has your bike been recalled for the head/cam issues...
My bike's within the VIN range of the head/cam service bulletin, but @ 7,200 miles there are no changes to the sound of the engine. I had my favorite mechanic listen to it last weekend just to be sure.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I still have my '05 ST. I don't plan to sell it. I want to take it on a long, long ride this summer. But I confess that my attention has shifted to a 2015 Ninja 1000. I begin adding mods the day I brought it home -- handlebars raised, pegs lowered, Powerlet jacks, RAM ball mount, etc. -- turning a sport bike into a sport tourer. The Ninja 1000 has good bones for this configuration.

2015 N1K.jpg

The N1K is over 200 lbs. lighter and it's great for canyon carving. The ST does well in the curves, but the Ninja is even better. And Kawasaki's 1043cc engine is really something. This is the kind of bike Honda should've built instead of the Vultus "Big Wheel" or even the CTX1300 cruiser.

Last week, the OEM Kawasaki QR 28-liter panniers arrived -- perhaps the first in North America, the black trimmed ones are very rare.
Looks like a great setup - I just don't think there would be enough room for two up all day travelling. Thanks for the picture.

Top Bottom