Wanting some input on a Kawasaki 1000 Versys LT.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Went to the local Kawasaki dealer and checked out the Versys 1000. Looks very nice - i found the seat a little high for my height challenged legs. my heals were about 1" off the ground. I might have a 29" inseam. It has a very large (long) seat. great for two up. The bags had not arrived yet so i can't comment on those. When seated you can tell that the bike is very light. I was the easiest bike i have ever seen to get on the center stand.
To get it up to what i would like would cost another $2000.
To me it would need a new larger windshield, heated grips, crash bars, seat modification, and a 52 liter Givi tail box and bracket.

In Canada that would bring the price $15000 + taxes + all that other paperwork cost and $2000 extras to $20000. WOW I think a new FJR is close to that.

Bike
09 ST1300
If Honda ever redoes the ST, I bet it'll be a winner hands down. On the other hand if the 2015 FJR came in red or blue...... gaawwd I really must ride an FJR see what all this fuss is about..

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Went to the local Kawasaki dealer and checked out the Versys 1000. Looks very nice - i found the seat a little high for my height challenged legs. my heals were about 1" off the ground. I might have a 29" inseam. It has a very large (long) seat. great for two up. The bags had not arrived yet so i can't comment on those. When seated you can tell that the bike is very light. I was the easiest bike i have ever seen to get on the center stand.
To get it up to what i would like would cost another $2000.
To me it would need a new larger windshield, heated grips, crash bars, seat modification, and a 52 liter Givi tail box and bracket.

In Canada that would bring the price $15000 + taxes + all that other paperwork cost and $2000 extras to $20000. WOW I think a new FJR is close to that.
Bill Thanks for the info on the New 1000 Versys. So yesterday I went to my local bike shop and there was a new Versys 1000 sitting on the show room floor. To make a long story short, this bike is a strong contender to be the replacement for my 5 and a half year old 2009 Wee STrom 650. I sat on it and made vroom vroom noises, and found that it was very comfortable and fit my size very well. I liked it. Now to do some studying on the specs and reviews in the coming months, find me a test ride (if winter ever will end) and we will see what is in store for the Wee.

Last edited:
STOC #
Waking the dead here.

I bought a new 2015 for a hell of a deal (August 2016). So far, I'm not regretting the decision. Almost 200 lbs lighter than the 1300, 100 less than the gen2 fjr I just sold. Light feel, sweet handling. I'll let y'all know in a few months.
Didn't get to ride the FJ09, but it seemed really small to make a decent long distance tourer. Saw one at TWO in GA without a windshield, owner said it was better than with.

Hi from UK, Bill
i bought a Versys 1000 grand tourer a year ago. I still have my Pan. I had a half day test ride on the Versys and found that handling to be very good and a great, flexible, motor. It will pull away at 30mph in sixth gear.
Equipped with panniers, top box and extra driving lamps I am very pleased with it. It does not have quite the road 'presence' of the Pan, but is comfortable and fast. Main benefit is that it is MUCH lighter than the Pan. I suggest you get a test ride and make up your own mind
Hope this helps, best wishes, Mike

Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
Hi All, Just usually lurk and learn on this forum but I am now a Versys 1000 LT owner after selling my '13 Explorer I've had for 4 years. Is it just me or is everyone getting older around here? The 75 pound difference is very apparent to me over the Tiger. I'm 5'11" with a 32 inseam. Easy to flat foot. Getting it up (at least the bike) on the center stand is easy over the Explorer. I've got about 1000 miles on it and really love it. I've added the top case and the SW Motech engine guards and the T-rex racing luggage guard.

Quick side story. Yes AGATT even in your front yard. The truck shows up with the bike and I said let me go inside and put on some long pants and boots as I feel stupid riding a motorcycle in shorts and sandals. So lower the bike on the lift gate and on the way into my garage lay it down on the wet driveway. Sure glad I had on the gear.

The Versys is a very comfortable bike and a hell of a lot easier for me to move around than the Tiger Explorer. It's a nimble road bike able to ride on crappy pot hole infested roads and will keep up with a good rider on a Ducati Multistrada who is trying to loose you on a very twisty road.. It's very quiet and very very smooth.

I do lament the lack of a shaft and lack of cruise control like the Tiger. I've got the chain clean and lube down to about 5 minutes now. Not as bad as I thought.

I picked up a '15 new for $9998 and got the 4 year additional warranty and also added the Madstad windshield system. I waited too long to get into the too heavy for me ST 1300 but suggest you take a test ride on the 650 LT and 1000 LT Versys. I did ride them both as well as a nice used red VFR 1200 and hands down the 1000 was best. Zero down is a hard deal for even your wife to ***** about.
PS After selling the Tiger I just handed over the cash from the Triumph sale so it goes to a new bathroom.....:(

Bike
03 ST1300A
I'm also looking at the Versys 1000. I bought my ST1300 only for it's smooth engine, I'm super sensitive to engine vibrations felt on throttle bars and brake levers because I keep two fingers on the brake lever all the time. And I don't do touring on the ST, I ride it to work every day, lane spiltting in heavy southern california traffic. It has served me very well and I'm very happy with it.

I only wish the ST can be lighter. The Versys 1000 looks very promising for my purpose but I'm just afraid of possible vibrations of the engine. All inline 4 tend to vibrate, some very badly, like my Honda CBR650F(hated and gave it away), some not so. Reading through all the disscussion boards, it seems 2015 later Versys 1000 have smoother engine and less vibration problem, I'm still waiting for a chance to see and test ride one.

Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
I'm also looking at the Versys 1000. I bought my ST1300 only for it's smooth engine, I'm super sensitive to engine vibrations felt on throttle bars and brake levers because I keep two fingers on the brake lever all the time. And I don't do touring on the ST, I ride it to work every day, lane spiltting in heavy southern california traffic. It has served me very well and I'm very happy with it.

I only wish the ST can be lighter. The Versys 1000 looks very promising for my purpose but I'm just afraid of possible vibrations of the engine. All inline 4 tend to vibrate, some very badly, like my Honda CBR650F(hated and gave it away), some not so. Reading through all the disscussion boards, it seems 2015 later Versys 1000 have smoother engine and less vibration problem, I'm still waiting for a chance to see and test ride one.

15' Versys 1000 LT owner here and I just put on 2000 miles in the last few months. Zero problems and zero vibrations. I added a Madstad windscreen and a sheepskin seat cover and life's good. I've got a bad nerve or some such BS and I get bad tingle/burn/pain in the right hand from a shoulder injury or just fracking old age. I am damn impressed with the smoothness of this powerful "little" engine. Not much pain at all. Recently started with some CBD Hemp oil drops and am getting a lot of pain relief from that. No buzz or "high" at all. None from the CBD or none from the Kawasaki. Life is smooth.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and can easily flat foot it. Dropped it a few days ago when the ground gave way and it was damn easy to pick up on my own. Forgot to mention I added front engine guard and luggage guards so it does not drop over too far.

Chain is not a big problem and I oil it every few hundred miles with the yellow Dupont Chain Saver-cleans and lubes in a few minutes and does not attract sand or dirt. Think Oil Wars are bad you have not been to Chain Lube Wars on forums.

Last edited:
Top Bottom