What's the thing in the middle of the handlebars on my ST1100

Bike
1992 ST1100
I just bought this 1992 ST1100. There's a metal plate welded in the center and on the underside of the handlebars. It looks like something latches to it.

Can anyone tell me what goes there?

EDIT: OK so I looked a little harder at this partzilla diagram: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1992/ST1100+A/HANDLEBAR/parts.html

Looks like there's supposed to be a bunch of plastic stuff covering my handlebars. Is this true? If so mine is not there. I get to look straight at what looks like army green handlebars.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
There is a handlebar cover that goes over the bars. That plate is a mounting bracket for the bars.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Is it possible you also have risers? Are the handlebar clamps close to the triple tree or are they up a couple of inches?
in most cases the plastic needs to come off because the ignition switch would be hard to reach when risers are installed.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The PO must have installed bar risers, or maybe your bike has HeliBars? Any change to the bar set up usually requires the Accord like plastic must go. Show us your bars?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I have seen people remove the plastic cover to allow mounting a GPS in the centre of the handlebars.

Gerhard

OP
OP
Bike
1992 ST1100
Handlebars definitely have risers. Two of them to be exact. About 2" worth of rise. That must be why.

Thanks

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Ha....I did that in 2006 but kept adding to it and finally decided to take a few pic's in 08, and I still have some things done after that....keeps me little mind busy from drinking to much in the winter....now that we're retarded.....;>)

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
If the plate looks like this it is for the mounting of the handle bar cover. Mine has a small piece of foam on the top mount to keep keys from rattling.

HB Plate CU.jpg

Bike
2006 ST1300
that's the plate I'm talking about. Gonna try to contact the PO and see if he has the plastic.
If he doesn't have it I'm thinking that I may have the parts for that style of bars.
It won't work if he has risers on the bike... well not very well

Bike
2006 ST1300
How much you want for it?
I just found the covers. They are in three pieces and new they are a little over $150.00 :eek:

How about $25.00 and I will pay for the shipping??????

Do you know if you have any bar risers?
If you don't know for sure let me know.
You could send me a picture of your set up now, so that I'm not sending you something that may not work.

Bob W.
Spokane, WA

OP
OP
Bike
1992 ST1100
I just found the covers. They are in three pieces and new they are a little over $150.00 :eek:

How about $25.00 and I will pay for the shipping??????

Do you know if you have any bar risers?
If you don't know for sure let me know.
You could send me a picture of your set up now, so that I'm not sending you something that may not work.

Bob W.
Spokane, WA
Sounds good to me. I do have risers. There are 2 or 3 chrome oval shaped risers on there that give about an inch or rise each. I sent you a PM.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
"... Looks like there's supposed to be a bunch of plastic stuff covering my handlebars. Is this true? If so mine is not there. I get to look straight at what looks like army green handlebars."

The stock handle bars are the army green color. I replaced the plastic and handle bars with Heli-Bars early on ('99?) and haven't looked back.

Top Bottom