Planning a 50CC, need route suggestions

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I've been reading up on the 50CC and I am hoping to do it this year. Maybe in March, if the stars align.
I live in Phoenix. My plan is to start in San Diego and end in Jacksonville (this is the most common route I see).

If I take off a week of work, I will have 9 days total to complete the round trip.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions on the best route West, back to Phoenix. Obviously I don't want to take interstates all the way home. I've never seen the rest of the country so this presents me with a unique opportunity.

I would appreciate any route recommendations from anyone that's done this before.
Any points of interest that I should try to see if I take the loooooooong way home?
Any routes that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
If you have access to past issues of the iron butt magazine they did a three part series over three issues about the 50cc. Lots of great info in those articles. Our member Kendoo will probably chime in soon, he did a ccc100 two years ago (exactly one day after his first SS1000 LOL)

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I just subscribed to the magazine this year and have only received two issues thus far. I don't have access to those past issues. Would have loved to see those.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
You can purchase back issues from the IBA e-store. I can't remember which issues they were in, next time I get a chance I'll look at my collection and tell you which ones you need, unless somebody else says first.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My suggestion is forget the 50cc stuff and just take 9 days to see the country but I've never cared about the LD stuff myself so if THAT is YOUR passion then go for it, better than working any day.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
My suggestion is forget the 50cc stuff and just take 9 days to see the country but I've never cared about the LD stuff myself so if THAT is YOUR passion then go for it, better than working any day.
+1

Nine days of putting around the southern US sounds pretty good to me right about now.
Mike

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1

Nine days of putting around the southern US sounds pretty good to me right about now.
Mike
He's going in March.... I could find several volcano's, craters, canyons and mountain ranges in 9 days lol Doesn't look like work is going to allow me a week-long vacation this year which sux but it may mean I'm able to make more ST events than I did last year.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Sorry to be new........but........what is a 50cc and 100cc or is it cc100????

Just learnin...
TC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a lot of work.
I did the 1000 in 24 with my father and Bro back in 1983. Dad had a 1980 gold wing, bro had a V65 Sabre with factory fairing and I was on a naked CB900Custom. Traded bro for about 20 miles and he wanted his fairing back. It was Oct in Washington and it rained for about 350 miles. But I did it.

I think I would like to do ccc in about 2 months. ;-)
TC

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
That's a lot of gas to burn, slab to run, to not see much of nothing.....I like the idea of just heading out and finding interesting stuff and two laners and great scenery......and don't eat at McDonald's every meal either.....:D....enjoy the ride, wish it wasn't frozen around here..ff

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Maybe I should restate my original question..... ;) how about this instead.

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get 5 days in March to travel from Jacksonville, FL to Phoenix, AZ.
Any suggestions on routes? Any favorites? Any routes I should avoid? Any must-see sites along the way?
Thanks in advance!

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I can't help much as all I rode was I-10. I do know others that ventured North of I-10 in March after a E-W 50CC and they got caught in snow. Why not blast back to SD (100ccc) and then take 3 days to go from SD to Phx? Just kidding (kind of), but that is the way my mind works. LD riding is a sickness for sure.

PS- the 50cc on I-10 is only 2300+ miles, so only a little better than a SS1000 each day. If you look at it that way, not so bad. Sometimes you have to break down a big ride into smaller parts...less intimidating that way. Good luck

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Kendoo, I just rode to/from San Diego last weekend so I'd like to see something new. I've caught the LD bug as well but I've already covered the southwest several times over.

Traveling East to West I am thinking of a more northerly route, possibly through Nashville, Memphis, Oklahoma City, etc. Would that create any challenges?
I'm sure someone here could comment on some good routes that way, or possibly places to avoid.
Obviously I could google this all day long but I figured this forum would be a lot more productive. ;)

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Kendoo, I just rode to/from San Diego last weekend so I'd like to see something new. I've caught the LD bug as well but I've already covered the southwest several times over.

Traveling East to West I am thinking of a more northerly route, possibly through Nashville, Memphis, Oklahoma City, etc. Would that create any challenges?
I'm sure someone here could comment on some good routes that way, or possibly places to avoid.
Obviously I could google this all day long but I figured this forum would be a lot more productive. ;)

I need to play in the Southwest a little more. All my trips are so time restrictive....c'mon retirement..only another 15 years away. LOL

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I just subscribed to the magazine this year and have only received two issues thus far. I don't have access to those past issues. Would have loved to see those.
Check if they still have copies of the following back issues

Winter 2011 - Pg 26

Fall 2012 - Pg 36

Winter 2012 - Pg 58

Spring 2013 - Pg 56

Summer 2013 - Pg 58

Fall 2013 - Pg 71

Winter 2014 - Pg 42

Also, log in to the Iron Butt Forums and you will find lots of good info.

http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/default.asp

Have fun on your ride.

Bruce

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I did a 50cc about two years ago going from Jacksonville to San Diego.....Good luck in your adventure! I did mine in April and there were a bunch of things off of I-10 that if I had more time would have stopped to see. Sorry I really don't know much routes in that part of the country to suggest for a return trip, my suggestions would be to just decide what you would want to see and do and just wing it. March is tough cause if you go too far north depending on where you are, you can still run into snow or ice, Head to North Caroline and play around the area of the Smokey mountains....never disappointed in that area and then make your way back through Tenn, etc. Have fun and enjoy!!! Good Luck!

Top Bottom